Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

RIP Double Carabiner

OK folks, I am very sorry to be the bearer of sad news, but I just talked to Dustin over at TB on the phone, and it turns out they are not only out of stock of the double carabiners, but they have stopped carrying them!

That's right; if you still have some left, covet these precious little darlings, because you won't be able to purchase anymore!!!
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Forum Member
    I only have 2 and planned on getting more.

Thanks for sharing the info.

I would suggest calling customer service again and asking where they sourced them from. Please share if you can find out this info.
    If for whatever reason this item is really unavailable (i.e., the company that makes them, if it was not TB directly, discontinued them), then the Nite-ize carabiners, which come in many sizes, might be an alternative. They don't swivel but are functionally similar.
    TB should probably remove references to the double carabiner on their other product pages as well, or make a note, where they are referenced or pictured, that they are no longer available.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

FYI:

If you google "swivel double carabiner" you should find a source (and different types) if TB no longer is selling them. Check out the images to find the same model that TB used to sell.

Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    I would suggest calling customer service again and asking where they sourced them from. Please share if you can find out this info.
    If for whatever reason this item is really unavailable (i.e., the company that makes them, if it was not TB directly, discontinued them), then the Nite-ize carabiners, which come in many sizes, might be an alternative. They don't swivel but are functionally similar.
    The best thing about the double carabiners were their price: a buck a piece. Can't beat that anywhere. Still sad. Maybe Darcy can post about the info you requested? I feel kind of silly calling them about this. lol
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

The "swivel" part of that phrase was the magic word to make the Google search work. It looks like some similar items are available by "Tyny Tools", and not too expensive. I found a few of their items on Amazon, but won't post a direct link because I'm not sure if it's appropriate. Other brands made specifically for climbing are much pricier, of course, but most of us don't need that level of quality for holding bags in place.

I have a few of the TB double carabiners already, but I hope this info helps those who are searching for them.

Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    FYI:

If you google "swivel double carabiner" you should find a source (and different types) if TB no longer is selling them. Check out the images to find the same model that TB used to sell.

Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenJ View Post
    I only have 2 and planned on getting more.

Thanks for sharing the info.
    Me, too!...yikes better look for my precious pair now.

May I ask why TB is no longer stocking this item as it seems to be such a popular and useful part?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    The "swivel" part of that phrase was the magic word to make the Google search work. It looks like some similar items are available by "Tyny Tools", and not too expensive.
    Oh thank you thank you thank you. I held up my own double carabiner against the photos I found online, and they really look identical!

Price isn't too bad... and interestingly, the Tyny Tools version comes in different colors as well as sizes!! Looks like the one from Tom Bihn is the medium one; the small looks to be almost half its size.

The price is a little bit more, but I'm just glad to have learned these exist. Thank you so much @bchaplin! It's funny... When I started typing "tyny tools," my Google search bar auto-filled "double carabiner" for the rest of my search term. Guess they're known for it!

Hey -- I did some digging around. It looks like the Tyny Tools item was part of a successful Kickstarter campaign that happened late last year!

Quote Originally Posted by WenV View Post
    Me, too!...yikes better look for my precious pair now.

May I ask why TB is no longer stocking this item as it seems to be such a popular and useful part?
    Yeah, I'm also wondering about this. I thought of it as the default (and ideal) holder for the knitting tool pouches too.

I searched Ebay for TYNY TOOLS and the double carabiners were listed in different sizes and colors. I tried ordering a couple last week but thought they were just out of stock at that time.
    If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.

Wait what?!?!?! This makes me so sad. I was planning on buying a few more of these

EDIT: Amazon has the Tyny Tools ones. And they come in Orange and Bright Green too
    Amazon.com: Tyny Tools Swivel Carabiner
    Last edited by jess; 07-30-2015 at 09:42 PM.
    Self-declared Captain of Team AUBERSKY

Dear TB Crew,
    Please make more things in AUBERGINE/STEEL, BLACK DYNEEMA/ISLAND, and BLACK DYNEEMA/UV
    Love,
    me

Forum Member
    Let's hope that a new vendor that meets TB's appropriately high expectations is identified or some back stock is located and this part can come back soon.

Forum Member

Colors

I saw that. Love the green ones.

BTW, Bike Parts | Road Bicycle Parts | Bicycle Repair Parts - Niagara Cycle has them quite a bit cheaper than Amazon. No recommendation just pointing out. BTW, they list two sizes, sort of regular and large, plus a shock cord version.

I believe the double carabiner was a Woojin part. Interestingly, I can't find it on their website anymore so that would make me wonder if the supply dried up from the manufacturer end.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast