Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Side Effect and the 1-inch shoulder strap...

As much as I love the Side Effect, I've always wished that it came with a sturdier strap. The 5/8-inch one you can buy with it seems better-suited to convert a 3D organizer into a little cross-body pouch, but I've always wondered why the shoulder strap for the Side Effect didn't just come in a 1-inch width, to match the width of the waist strap.

I finally broke down and bought a 1-inch strap on eBay. I could've sewn on my own, but I was feeling particularly lazy, and the strap wasn't very expensive.

Well, it showed up in the mail this week, so I had a chance to try it on the Side Effect.

Wow! It's a PERFECT FIT!! It's amazing how just the width of a shoulder strap could make such a difference, but now it actually feels like a real purse!

With that new strap, I think the Side Effect is an actual candidate as an everyday carry! So happy now!

[It's at home; I'll have to post a photo later.]
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Interesting. I might be a rare one here who uses a SE every day but never the strap! I have a long keystrap attached. The reason I don't use a long strap (besides not walking long distances) is because unless I'm going into a store, restaurant, or someplace similar, I have it marsupial-style inside a larger TB bag. And the straps get tangled up big - time!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Look forward to seeing the photo, Lani. I use my SE daily and do find the thin strap too thin. One time, the clip somehow unclipped itself while I was wearing it. Luckily I caught it before it fell to the ground. I would like a beefier strap with a more secure clip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking forward to your pics. I love my DIY 1" straps, but am a bit apprehensive about the sturdiness of the clips-- they are sleek and non-obtrusive like the 5/8 strap clips but I wonder about their durability because they are thin and MIC (I am fine with MIC stuff generally but this one makes me jumpy). If there are ready-made options that I can grab if the plastic on the clips breaks, that would be very nice.
    Last edited by adalangdon; 08-13-2015 at 01:07 AM.

Think I've posted this, but I use the strap from a LeSportsac "Kylie."

Ok I'm home so I can post photos. Hopefully you can see how the strap looks in these. The particular strap I got is basically a mini version of the simple strap you can get from TB.

Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

@Lani: This strap looks perfect for the SE! The clip looks pretty sturdy too. Thanks for the pics. Are you able to PM me the seller's details please? Many thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by WenV; 08-14-2015 at 10:10 AM.

Forum Member
    This strap is awesome. I just received my first Side Effect last night (navy/iberian) and I love it, but I agree that the shoulder strap seems not very sturdy. I wouldn't feel very confident using it at, say, Disneyland where I would be constantly hopping on and off rides. I don't want to have to think about the security of the strap. So thank you for the great pics. If you are able, I would very much appreciate a PM with the seller's info.

Forum Member
    I use my (steel dyneema) SE every day, and would love more info on this strap. Totally agree that TB should offer a 1" version!

Quote Originally Posted by WenV View Post
    Are you able to PM me the seller's details please? Many thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post
    If you are able, I would very much appreciate a PM with the seller's info.
    I've sent PMs to you with the link.

Anyone else want the link to the item on eBay, please let me know, and I will PM it.

Thanks @Lani! Got it.

Forum Member
    Interestingly, I bought that exact strap from TB at some point in the last couple years - I just found it while going through my stockpile. Guess they used to carry it and no longer do? I never used it though, and I actually prefer the thinner 5/8" strap for my Side Effect (feels sturdy to me, I've never had issues and carry it all the time ).

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaireJ View Post
    Interestingly, I bought that exact strap from TB at some point in the last couple years - I just found it while going through my stockpile. Guess they used to carry it and no longer do? I never used it though, and I actually prefer the thinner 5/8" strap for my Side Effect (feels sturdy to me, I've never had issues and carry it all the time ).
    The 1" strap that @Lani shows was sold with the now-retired Breve for iPad:

(The Breve later came in other colors, too -- mine was Cardinal -- and even in Cork.

Here's my quoted post (#215), titled Bring Back the 1" Shoulder Strap to the 2015 Wish List thread
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Hi,

One small, and pretty easy to implement addition, is to bring back the option for a 1" wide shoulder strap. This was the default strap that was offered for carrying the now retired Breve for iPad. I've posted a hack solution using the FJN strap and double carabiners to @Walker's old thread requesting that the 5/8" strap be separately listed and sold in Parts, which is an option, but she really wanted the wider 1" strap (that is used for the FJN strap).

BTW, I use the old Breve strap all the time for shoulder carrying the Side Effect and other light-weight accessories as an alternative to the 5/8" strap and the wider Standard Strap. This works for me, but I'd like there to be a solution for everybody else!

HTH

moriond
    The linked post in that quote goes to @Walker's Request to purchase 5/8 shoulder strap and camera I/O dividers to accessories purchas from 2.5 years ago, where I discussed using the 1" wide Breve strap with the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag and Side Effect

I also described using the 1" wide Field Journal Notebook strap as another solution (not as good as the 1" Breve strap) in the Shoulder straps NOT by TB thread. Here's a sample excerpted picture:

The 1" Breve strap does appear to be just like the strap @Lani showed (sorry that I don't have an already uploaded picture of this with a Side Effect), and they did at one time sell that strap separately, which is where @ClaireJ may have gotten it.

I do prefer using the 1" strap as being less "spaghetti-ish" than the 5/8" strap.

HTH

moriond

If the 5/8" is spaghetti then the 1" is more like fettuccine I guess.

I like the thin strap on my aubergine side effect - i use mine as a PLO when i don't have enough stuff for my SCB.

It often goes to the theatre where i think the thin strap looks more elegant.

Having choices is good ...
    List under construction ....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast