Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Forum Member

Lightbulb packing hard drives in synapse 25

I travel with usually 4 western digital passport drives all in separate minimal padded cases. Anyone have a recommendation how to pack these? I want to buy a synapse 25 bag and am planning on getting a laptop sleeve, the snake keeper and a couple simple zip pouches. Would love to see what everyone uses to pack HD for easy access. :-)

Volunteer Moderator
    I usually pack 2.5" external hard drives in a small padded organizer pouch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -m

Don't know what model of drives you have in order to estimate fit.
    I do not take portable drives with me but I have thought about it if I needed to carry one or two. Some ideas:

1) Get an S25 Freudian Slip or even one of the Cafe Bag ones, you can perhaps fit your drives in the zippered sections or the mesh pockets
    2) Use a Guide's Pack Lead Pocket. This item is well padded and maybe you can carry some if not all 4 drives in that without needing the separate padded cases.

Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Volunteer Moderator
    You can fit 4 laptop hard drives in a Clear Quarter Packing Cube (2 on each side), but this was an easier configuration to use for the Aeronaut side pockets than the Synapse, where having the drives in individual pouches is easier to distribute.

HTH

moriond

Volunteer Moderator
    @tpnl, and Others who use Lenovo ThinkPads with the Ultrabay adapters and 2nd HDD (Hard Disk Drive) mounted in the adapter, you can order both HDD caddies and padded pouches for carrying the drives mounted in the caddies from Newmodeus. Some of these products may be available from Amazon. Check the model numbers, because I ordered these directly from the Newmodeus for the Lenovo W520 disk drives. The fit is exact, and so it is a better alternative than using the Tom Bihn padded pouch for MacBook Air Superdrive (another possibility).

Withe my Mac laptop, I tend to use older, heavier duty laptop drives (like the old G-drive Minis) for external laptop hard drive usage, and these often come with external reinforced enclosures, and can fit into the 3D Organizer cubes.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    I carry small drives all the time and I have just made my own little case with bubble wrap and duct tape.
    I just make an envelope with the bubble wrap by wrapping the drive like you would wrap a present but leave one end open to get the drive in and out.
    A little Velcro spot works to close it up and BAM! I am done.

I also have used Domke Wraps or any number of small cases as mentioned here but I kind of like the Bubble Wrap the best as it is a custom fit and costs me nothing.

packing hard drives in synapse 25

I'd consider a stuff sack if they all have individual padded cases. Just get one appropriate to the size of your four drives. The drawstring pulls the top closed but also seems to pull the sides in as it tightens so will stop the individual drives rattling about inside.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A vote for "Portable Culture"
    Aeronaut 45 ([Black/Steel), Aeronaut 30 (Navy/Iberian), Western Flyer (Navy/UV), Pilot (Navy/Solar), Synapse 25 (Grey/UV), Ristretto (Navy/UV), Medium Cafe Bag (Grey/Olive), Daylight Backpack (Burnt Orange), Daylight Briefcase (Grey) PLUS more 'bits' than you can shake a stick at!