Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Forum Member

What's the deal with Synapse zipper pulls?

Every picture I've seen from bloggers around the internet show the Synapse with nylon loops and plastic clips as the zipper pull, but on the website it shows the metal YKK pulls. So which is it? I can't find any information about whether it was by production date or whether you got the 19 or the 25?

Quote Originally Posted by janamastana View Post
    Every picture I've seen from bloggers around the internet show the Synapse with nylon loops and plastic clips as the zipper pull, but on the website it shows the metal YKK pulls. So which is it? I can't find any information about whether it was by production date or whether you got the 19 or the 25?
    Not quite; see this recent blog review. You will get a bag with silver zipper pulls from the store, unless it's a return that's still hanging around. The zipper changes began with the Pilot in early 2014, which IIRC was never released with the old upside-down zips, but the bulk of the changes took place around the middle of this year or slightly earlier. The reason most blog posts feature the old zips is that the S19 and S25 have been around for some years now (2009 and 2012, I think), and, as just mentioned, the zip changes were implemented only fairly recently.

Forum Member
    Thank you!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    Not quite; see this recent blog review. You will get a bag with silver zipper pulls from the store, unless it's a return that's still hanging around. The zipper changes began with the Pilot in early 2014, which IIRC was never released with the old upside-down zips, but the bulk of the changes took place around the middle of this year or slightly earlier. The reason most blog posts feature the old zips is that the S19 and S25 have been around for some years now (2009 and 2012, I think), and, as just mentioned, the zip changes were implemented only fairly recently.
    The switch from the cord pulls to the metal YKK zipper tabs for the S25 took place just about a year ago -- around November 2014. And up until Spring 2013, when the Synapse 25 was introduced, the smaller size Synapse (Synapse 19) was the only model. Other changes that came in were that all these backpacks were outfitted to be able to exchange vertical caches with rails, webbing at the front bottom of the backpack could clip on a Guardian Light. More O-rings (3 vs. 1) were added to the front zippered pocket. And in May 2013, they moved to a wider backpack strap spacing for the Synapses.

HTH

moriond