Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar

Share Your Links: Best of the Forums

Hey everyone,

Remember what it was like when you were new here, clicking around and trying to get your bearings? Did you find yourself wishing for a compendium of helpful basic information on products, or the best and most detailed reviews, or an explanation of the toilet paper, watermelons, and pumpkins? If the answer is "YES!" or even just "EH, MAYBE," then please keep reading!

We want to make a sticky thread to function as a living guide to all the best information on the forum. Keeping in mind that we all define "best" or "important" in different ways, we're looking for forum entries that:

- answer a frequently-asked question (i.e., "I'm under 5'4"—can I still use the Aeronaut 45?" or "is Solar gone for good?");

- consolidate information from a bunch of reviews into a comprehensive summary;

- clue folks into some of the running jokes and famous threads that get referenced regularly;

- provide amazing photos of specific bags or accessories, load-outs, or colors;

- helped you feel more at home here on the forum.

Post your suggestions or submissions here to get the ball rolling; once we've got a good selection from this thread, we'll create the new sticky thread, close this one, and ask everyone to add further suggestions to that new official sticky thread.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    I don't know how to link to posts in another thread, but I would like to suggest: post #79 in the Where have your bags been lately thread - the post by moriond on the Hyperbole and a Half meme about buying all the bags

Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    I don't know how to link to posts in another thread, but I would like to suggest: post #79 in the Where have your bags been lately thread - the post by moriond on the Hyperbole and a Half meme about buying all the bags
    Thank you! That's a great one.

The best way I have found to link to a specific thread is to either click or right-click on the post number (the number preceded by the # symbol in the upper right hand corner of the post) of the post. If you right click, you can choose to Copy Link. If you click, the page refreshes and the URL in your browser bar is now the URL for that specific post. Either way, the link you get by clicking on the post # (#79 in the case of the post you mention) looks like this:
    Where did your TB bag go lately

And should take everyone to that specific post.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Volunteer Moderator

Buy all the Bags!

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Thank you! That's a great one.

The best way I have found to link to a specific thread is to either click or right-click on the post number (the number preceded by the # symbol in the upper right hand corner of the post) of the post. If you right click, you can choose to Copy Link. If you click, the page refreshes and the URL in your browser bar is now the URL for that specific post. Either way, the link you get by clicking on the post # (#79 in the case of the post you mention) looks like this:
    Where did your TB bag go lately

And should take everyone to that specific post.
    @Darcy, @GoStanford, and Others,

The original image was posted by @GEOCycle in the Tom Bihn Anticipation Syndrome thread on 02-17-2012:

Quote Originally Posted by GEOcycle View Post
    I'm not even waiting on anything for the time being ... but sometimes I just feel like this:

It was quickly picked up by other forum users, because @misterN referenced it 3 days later in his post in another thread, with the preface:
    As stolen from GEOcycle.
    This made it possible to find the image again -- it only required running a search on "stolen from GEOCycle" to locate the relevant post -- and this figure appeared again in response to comments by both @ncb4 and @dubbysmurf about how difficult it was to exercise restraint when the Brain Bag designs got updated near the end of July 2014. (It was uploaded as an attachment to make it easier for me to find and track again by searching the Attachment gallery, and in case the originally referenced site image disappears).

This figure made one more appearance on the day the Parental Unit and Limited Edition Color Small Cafe Bags debuted at the end of November 2014. Forum member @PaulT00 reported on how quickly these bags sold out, and @luvdabags expressed amazement at our ability to buy out all the bags that quickly.

The earlier posts in the Where did your TB bag go lately thread link to the original post by GEOCycle (who, appropriately, commented in this thread that he was happy to see the figure still in use).

This may all be a bit long-winded, but the linked post from late in the thread doesn't give credit to GEOCycle, the original poster of the image, although it does explain how this "meme" originated from a comic on the Hyperbole and a Half blog site, and how it was/is possible to creatively "adapt" that image with a new caption appropriate to its usage on the Tom Bihn forums.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 03-24-2015 at 06:09 PM. Reason: correct type in post title

Can we just link to like, every other post @moriond has ever wrote? Exaggerating, but you get my drift

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    Jenne did a review and packing list of her Tri-Star when she went to Europe (Italy?) that convinced me I needed several things. A Western Flyer was one, Mohops were another, LMF sporks were third, and if I could pull up the thread, there may be something else, but I couldn't find it. I lack moriond's amazing google foo.
    Maverick's review of the S19 had me swooning, and the Purse with Purpose post sold me on FJN, not just me, but for my kids.
    Images of the Swift and Imago sold me on those bags, they appealed to me so much, I only used reviews to fuel the fire that I must get one.
    I really, really like TB Bags!

Forum Member
    Since you just posted @dorayme, it reminded me of your post where you took photos wearing different bags - that was extremely helpful. Another great post was the one a couple of months ago (?) where a male forum member posted photos of himself wearing the S19 and S25 with a comparative discussion. I will see if I can find the links.

Here is the first one:
    Who says short people can't carry big bags?

ETA: One other post I would like to nominate is Taminca's uses of the DOP with its numerous helpful photos.
    I think the posts that I have found most helpful were ones that showed and listed what fit in various bags and organizers. The other category that seems to be helpful for people are those that show people wearing various bags, especially if someone is ordering from far away.
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 03-24-2015 at 10:00 PM.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Badger's post in her initial impressions of the A30 was not only informative, helpful, but super fun. It made me want to jump right into the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Exhaust the little moment.
    Soon it dies.
    And be it gash or gold it will not come
    Again in this identical disguise."
    -Gwendolyn Brooks

There are so incredibly many fantastic threads on this forum it feels almost impossible to point some out. After thinking about this for a while and trying to remember what had pulled me in at the beginning I remembered the following Pots/Threads:

Tom Bihn bags as art I always wanted to contribute but did not feel creative enough.
    I too loved the "Who says..." thread.
    I had so much fun to read how Janine tried to drive her Husband crazy with her Daylight Backpack.

But this is only the tip of the tip of the tip of the iceberg.

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

This one about how to pack your Aeronaut 45: http://forums.tombihn.com/packing-li...html#post90382

Also this one about packing the NFTD: http://forums.tombihn.com/general-ba...html#post92980

These are great, everyone! Thank you, and keep sharing links as you think of them!

Forum Member
    I can't find Taminca's awesome DOP photo series, but I really enjoyed her Q kit uses thread.

Uses of the Q-Kit
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    I can't find Taminca's awesome DOP photo series, but I really enjoyed her Q kit uses thread.

Uses of the Q-Kit
    @NWHikergal. @taminca's awesome posts on the Double Organizer Pouches can be found in the Double Organizer Pouch thread. Part 1 covering the original (small) DOP starts with post#4. The posts for the medium DOP were also featured as a Blog post titled "taminca's many uses of the Double Organizer Pouch" with a link that starts at Post #106 (but the comparison pictures of MDOP actually start one post earlier).

This thread also (re)introduced the theme of Lärabars (starting in post#54 which referenced the old Request Larabar Intervention thread from when the Lärabar was an iconic ruler for judging sizes in accessories. They showed up extensively in the old blog and product page images of 2007-2009, as testified by some of the sample pictures in post#56. Lärabars figured prominently in pictures in early reviews of the (original) Buzz, Brain Bag, and Super Ego by forum member @Zephyrnoid at the Imagometrics web site.

And to add to the pictures mentioned (but not shown) in post#56, here's the picture of the Clear Quarter Packing Cube with apple and Lärabar for scale:

Share Your Links: Best of the Forums-imageuploadedbytapatalk1427402597-959188-jpg

HTH

moriond

This post got me started on personalizing my bags: Paracord pulls on my Brain Bag love all the different knots!
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast