Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Synapse 19 = happy girlfriend

Partly because she liked the larger Spiff Kit so much, my girlfriend delved into the Tom Bihn catalog with great enthusiasm, after pooh-poohing for a while my "ridiculous!" obsession. She made it quite clear that her life would be much improved (and mine, in sympathetic vibration) if only she had a backpack very similar to my Synapse 25, only "a bit smaller, and not black, like everything [I] own has to be." Yes, she knew full well that this was an existing product. A few weeks later (Thanks, TB factory!), I was able to nearly surprise her with a Synapse 19 in grey, ultraviolet lining. She's decided she likes Ultraviolent even better than the red that she initially wanted -- I'd aimed for it, but it was out of stock when I moved it from wishlist to cart.

Into this goes ...

- Sheet music
    - A book
    - Her loaded-for-bear Spiff Kit, holding an incredible assortment of nail-care gear, the sort of stuff that nails might think of as I would think of an iron maiden or a hairshirt (i.e. "Yoiks!") but that is an integral part of her musical preparation
    - key on a long solar keystrap I'm afraid I'll never get back
    - a "practice guitar" -- like a portion of guitar neck with strings, for practicing fingering / hand position
    - electronics (iPod, phone -- the iPod has a metronome app on it)
    - some snacks
    - water bottle
    - probably a few other bits as well, but those are what I noticed.

The color is great: True, it's not black, but I am very impressed with the color; it's quite hard to photograph, though, as others have mentioned. The size: funny; whether for good or bad, I was shocked by how much smaller is the 19 compared to the 25. I suppose that shock is out of place: after all, 3 2-liter bottles of soda would be quite a bit of volume. But even with the very nice picture comparison of the way the 19 and 25 fit on various sizes of people, in real life it seems a more extreme difference than I expected. The 19 seems *tiny*, since I'm used to the 25, but it's exactly what she wanted. "They have thought of everything!" She loves the way the dyneema of the Spiff Kit fits with the Ultraviolet, too -- same pattern and material, nicely matching colors.

I haven't gotten to borrow this one from her much to play with, but I hope to. Or maybe I'll just have to buy another, or live with the nice assortment I've got, which is pretty easy to live with, actually. I am very pleased to see her pleasure with it. (Though I warned her that it may be the best present she ever gets from me )
    Attached Images Attached Images Synapse 19 = happy girlfriend-paulina-synapse19-jpg 

Forum Member
    Makes me happy to see another musician fall into the TB rabbit hole . Who else plays music around here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a catalog? I'm new and have just seen things online!

Super Moderator

Catalog only metaphorically ...

Quote Originally Posted by marytattoo View Post
    There's a catalog? I'm new and have just seen things online!
    I don't know if there ever *has* been a catalog (moriond? Darcy?), but I've also only ever seen it online. I mean catalog as in "back catalog" -- the product range, but Yes, online rather than on-paper.

I checked, and you're right
    Online only. That's fine.

[QUOTE=dhoizner;95756]Makes me happy to see another musician fall into the TB rabbit hole ./QUOTE]

Ditto! Occasional clarinetist here, and even more occasional mandolinist. TB and music accoutrement = perfect match. 😊

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Synapse 19 & 25, Co-Pilot, Pilot, Side Effect, Small Cafe Bag, Medium Cafe Bag, Western Flyer, Tri-Star, A45, A30, Travel Tray, Passport Pouch, Small Organizer Wallet (this is the little guy that started it all...), several Shop Bags and Organizer Pouches. More to come, I'm sure...

Forum Member
    GUILTY on the musician front! I have a snake charmer filled with my little keyboard player widgets!

Forum Member
    I'm clarinet, alto sax, and tenor sax .

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dhoizner View Post
    Makes me happy to see another musician fall into the TB rabbit hole . Who else plays music around here?

OK, so where were all you guys when we were discussing topics like Bag for carrying piano sheet music? or Carrying Laptop, Flute, Music Binder, Music Stand, Lunch, Jacket & Gloves? (I never got around to posting pictures of music scores in the Pilot; What do you use?).

moriond

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    OK, so where were all you guys when we were discussing topics like Bag for carrying piano sheet music? or Carrying Laptop, Flute, Music Binder, Music Stand, Lunch, Jacket & Gloves? (I never got around to posting pictures of music scores in the Pilot; What do you use?).

moriond
    My music gets thrown into the sax case...and comes out all bendy and crumpled >_<. But I'm usually not carrying anything but the sax to a gig. Y'know, in case I have too much to drink, only one expensive thing to lose. And it's in a bright white case, so hopefully not too likely!

Forum Member
    Did I hear a call for musicians? I've been known to play.

Clarinet, back in school.
    Bass fiddle, plectrum banjo, and singer, professionally.
    Guitar, mandolin, fiddle, tenor banjo, as needed.
    Ukulele is the favorite. I play daily and travel with one at all times.
    Five string banjo. Just bought it, will learn to play it this summer.

Usually play by ear, so never carried music. The ukulele group I play with has a couple large, heavybooks of music. I carry them in a canvas tote from LL Bean. I need a bag that will stand up on its own, but the shop bag fell over, so I make do with the canvas. I dream of a TB musicians bag!

My tuner stays in a mini Q kit that is attached to the handle of the ukulele case by a short key strap. It is great! elisa

I'm not as musical as I once was but I play euphonium, trombone, guitar, and the hunt-and-peck piano (a unique style of playing, similar to that used by those who can't type). Lately, I've have been enjoying the Garageband app on my iPad mini (if that counts).

Forum Member
    @AlaskaGirl @sujo awesome! Strings and keys are ones that I'd love to pick up. And the hunt-and-peck piano sounds like fun, for sure!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    I don't know if there ever *has* been a catalog (moriond? Darcy?), but I've also only ever seen it online. I mean catalog as in "back catalog" -- the product range, but Yes, online rather than on-paper.
    There were print catalogs back in the day...

Synapse 19 = happy girlfriend-oldcatalogue2-jpg
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

How do I "like" something here?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast