Partly because she liked the larger Spiff Kit so much, my girlfriend delved into the Tom Bihn catalog with great enthusiasm, after pooh-poohing for a while my "ridiculous!" obsession. She made it quite clear that her life would be much improved (and mine, in sympathetic vibration) if only she had a backpack very similar to my Synapse 25, only "a bit smaller, and not black, like everything [I] own has to be." Yes, she knew full well that this was an existing product. A few weeks later (Thanks, TB factory!), I was able to nearly surprise her with a Synapse 19 in grey, ultraviolet lining. She's decided she likes Ultraviolent even better than the red that she initially wanted -- I'd aimed for it, but it was out of stock when I moved it from wishlist to cart.
Into this goes ...
- Sheet music
- A book
- Her loaded-for-bear Spiff Kit, holding an incredible assortment of nail-care gear, the sort of stuff that nails might think of as I would think of an iron maiden or a hairshirt (i.e. "Yoiks!") but that is an integral part of her musical preparation
- key on a long solar keystrap I'm afraid I'll never get back
- a "practice guitar" -- like a portion of guitar neck with strings, for practicing fingering / hand position
- electronics (iPod, phone -- the iPod has a metronome app on it)
- some snacks
- water bottle
- probably a few other bits as well, but those are what I noticed.
The color is great: True, it's not black, but I am very impressed with the color; it's quite hard to photograph, though, as others have mentioned. The size: funny; whether for good or bad, I was shocked by how much smaller is the 19 compared to the 25. I suppose that shock is out of place: after all, 3 2-liter bottles of soda would be quite a bit of volume. But even with the very nice picture comparison of the way the 19 and 25 fit on various sizes of people, in real life it seems a more extreme difference than I expected. The 19 seems *tiny*, since I'm used to the 25, but it's exactly what she wanted. "They have thought of everything!" She loves the way the dyneema of the Spiff Kit fits with the Ultraviolet, too -- same pattern and material, nicely matching colors.
I haven't gotten to borrow this one from her much to play with, but I hope to. Or maybe I'll just have to buy another, or live with the nice assortment I've got, which is pretty easy to live with, actually. I am very pleased to see her pleasure with it. (Though I warned her that it may be the best present she ever gets from me )