Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member

Question about the Empire Builder

Looking to get some information and hopefully a photo from some EP owners. Does anyone have a picture showing the EP with a cache? Just wondering how much more room is now left rather than with a braincell.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Navy/Iberian S25 - Navy/Solar Pilot - Navy/Iberian A45 - Navy Daylight Backpack. TLSS - A45 Packing Cubes and Various Pouches

bnruan I hope someone with that bag has the time to do some pictures for you. I have neither the EP nor a Brain Cell. Thouse things look like realy protective but I allways thought the chaches must be enough for my laptop because I was not willing to loos so much realastate in my bag.

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Forum Member
    Depends on the computer too?
    Give me an idea and if I can I will show you.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    Depends on the computer too?
    Give me an idea and if I can I will show you.
    I have a 15" MBP which is slightly too big to carry in my Pilot although I can make it fit even in the cache. Just looking to see the interior space of the bag with the cache and not a braincell.
    Navy/Iberian S25 - Navy/Solar Pilot - Navy/Iberian A45 - Navy Daylight Backpack. TLSS - A45 Packing Cubes and Various Pouches

Unfortunately I do not have a cache to try. However, I do have a Booq Vyper semi-rigid sleeve which should approximate the thickness of a cache. I have taken some comparison picture with a Brain Cell to see the differences but I cannot seem to post them so I will just give you my observations.

Basically, the Braincell takes about 2.5" of the 5" overall EB depth therefore leaving 2.5" left for your use. The sleeve takes up less than 2" and so leaves you 3" to 3.25" depth in the EB for other items.

As AVService indicated, YMMV depending on your laptop. For reference, the laptop I used is a 15.6" Thinkpad T510 that is 1.2-1.4" thick.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Going from a Pilot to an EB is a big change. What about the Cadet or Zephyr?

Cheers!
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Forum Member
    I don't have a 15"MBP but I do have 2 17"MBP and they will easily fit in the EB together even in Brain Cells I am sure!
    I often carry a 17" in Brain Cell AND a ToughBook in no case at all(They are actually Armored)together in the EB and there is still room for books and files too,it is a cavernous bag!

My power is out again and I am on battery right now in the dark but I will try to get a pic Tonight if I get power back?

The EB is not a low capacity bag though any way you use it.

Forum Member
    FWIW I have an Empire Builder and a Zephyr, and I'll echo the comments that the Empire Builder is cavernous. So much so that I stopped using it as a computer briefcase and just treated it as my all-purpose gear hauler. Whenever I've got a job that requires a bunch of stuff brought to the site - a big roll of CAT6 wire, a video projector, tons of tools, etc. - the Empire Builder with the Ultimate Strap is my go-to. It holds an ungodly amount of stuff - a 17" laptop would get swallowed up with room for another one, and you'd still have room for other gear. The Zephyr is much more of a classic commuter laptop briefcase.

Forum Member
    Sorry, vBulletin won't let me edit my last post. I see that the Zephyr's been put out to pasture. I guess the new Cadet is the closet thing in Bihn's current lineup?

Quote Originally Posted by jonjake View Post
    Sorry, vBulletin won't let me edit my last post. I see that the Zephyr's been put out to pasture. I guess the new Cadet is the closet thing in Bihn's current lineup?
    Some zephyrs have been on ebay.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marytattoo View Post
    Some zephyrs have been on ebay.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Not mine, ever! One of my most-used, favorite bags. And despite years of hard use it still looks brand new, like all our Bihns. But yes, if someone's crestfallen by the Zephyr retirement, they do pop up on eBay, though Bihns tend to retain their value so don't expect to grab one for a song.

@bnruane

Would a Cadet have enough room to hold all your items? Maybe we can do some test packing to give you a better idea of whether it will work for you.

Cheers!

Forum Member
    no i have looked at the cadet and it is too small for my needs. I am looking at the EB not as a EDC just to the office, but to pull double duty as a brief and a flight bag when i travel. As a result i have to carry slight;y more than the normal day just heading to the office. I want to be able to carry all I will need for the job and my bose headphones etc for flights. Maybe I just need to make a trip to the factory next time i am in Seattle.

Volunteer Moderator
    @bnruane, Would you consider, as an alternative to the Empire Builder, the ID Bag? The ID Bag (20.5 liters) is less of a jump from your Pilot than the Empire Builder (22.5 liters), easily accommodates a 15" laptop, and weighs a lot less than the EB (2 lb 3 oz / 985 grams for the empty ID bag vs. the 4 lbs / 1805 grams of the empty Empire Builder). Like the Pilot, it offers a dedicated water bottle holder (although this is at the side of the bag), which you could repurpose to hold an umbrella or other such item if you don't want to carry a water bottle. Also somewhat like the Pilot, the width of the bag when not completely filled can collapse down -- this is not true of the design of the Empire Builder, since the sides are stiffened in order to support plastic file dividers that slide along the inside of the bag -- they're notched to follow the guides at the side, much like a filing cabinet. This can be useful if you need to carry around extensive folders of papers supported by the index dividers and reinforced sides, and organized. You could probably fit in a ream and a half of paper (yes, that's 750 sheets), in addition to your 15" laptop. Alternatively, you can use that supported structure to carry multiple large laptops maximally protected in Brain Cells along with additional equipment, as has previously been mentioned.

Although there is a padded poron grab handle at the top of the ID bag, you're more likely to carry this on a shoulder strap. One of the additional options with this bag is the Quick-Adjust Messenger Strap and an optionally used waist strap. Although the ID Bag is being retired (like the Zephyr), they still have a great selection of interior color options (Sapphire and Crimson have long been retired as linings for most bags, but they managed to fins enough to make these bags, in addition to using the more standard Steel). There's a Review of the ID (after a week) post by @sujo of one the final batch of ID Bags.

Just another suggested option that you can think about. (And, yes, I've used both the Empire Builder and the ID Bag, and think the latter may be a closer fit to your described usage profile. I've also seen the recent ID Bag models.)

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    You people are just heartless!

Why am I looking for a Zephyr now?

My EB is sulking about and so is the Super Ego,they keep telling me I need the Synapse 25 next but do I listen?

No!

Stop this noise in my head,please!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast