Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Forum Member

Broke down and got a wheeled Tumi bag:

Hello all, I ashamed to say that I finally broke down and got a wheeled Tumi duffel bag. I love my Steel Tri-Star but after a few international trips to Thailand and across the US, I just couldn't do it anymore. I'm a pretty light packer, fully loaded my Tri-Star usually weighs under 13 pounds, I'm a 37 year old male about 5' 6" and 135 pounds and in pretty good shape. I realize that 13 pounds isn't that much weight, especially when carrying it with the book-pack straps however after 20+ hours of flying and walking around massive terminals I found myself cursing my Tri-Star while I was staring enviously at everyone else wheeling their bags around.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Tri-Star is extremely well made but I don't think I will be using it for travel anymore, maybe short domestic trips but not international flights. Not to criticize other board members but when I see some of the packing lists and pictures I scratch my head and think how much that bag probably weighs and the thought of lugging it around would make me cringe. I can't think that I'm alone in my thoughts.

Forum Member
    No need to be ashamed or feel you have offended people. Everyone has to find what works for them. Wheeled luggage has it's own challenges - beyond the obvious disadvantages in crowds, imagine navigating cobblestone roads or stairs in certain parts of Europe. Yikes. Different types of travel sometimes require a certain type of bag.

I personally would like to see the addition of a pack with a true padded wingstyle hip belt which offloads weight from the shoulders/back, this is key to carrying a heavier pack for longer periods of time. It does however add both additional bulk to the bag itself as well as it's own weight, which not all people would appreciate - this is why I advocate a separate bag and not a modification to an existing Tom Bihn bag.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaraxte View Post
    No need to be ashamed or feel you have offended people. Everyone has to find what works for them. Wheeled luggage has it's own challenges - beyond the obvious disadvantages in crowds, imagine navigating cobblestone roads or stairs in certain parts of Europe. Yikes. Different types of travel sometimes require a certain type of bag.

I personally would like to see the addition of a pack with a true padded wingstyle hip belt which offloads weight from the shoulders/back, this is key to carrying a heavier pack for longer periods of time. It does however add both additional bulk to the bag itself as well as it's own weight, which not all people would appreciate - this is why I advocate a separate bag and not a modification to an existing Tom Bihn bag.
    Hey Jaraxte,

I definitely appreciate the support, I tried to one bag it with the Tri-Star but after such a long flight I just don't want to carry any weight at all.

No shame in a roller bag. I go between my Tumi expandable International 2 wheel bag, A30, and WF when I travel. Can I have one bag that does it all? Of course, but my needs vary from trip to trip. So does my mood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Exhaust the little moment.
    Soon it dies.
    And be it gash or gold it will not come
    Again in this identical disguise."
    -Gwendolyn Brooks

I feel @ykang2375 's pain. When I was at my fittest and had very good upper body strength, traveling with even my 15 lb BB left me winded. I too had the same "wtf how do people do it" feeling. Heh. But that was before they released the BB hip belt.

I don't know they would make a hip belt for the carry-on luggage like the TS because there doesn't seem to be any loop on the bag for attaching one. :S
    Last edited by adalangdon; 07-11-2015 at 08:34 PM.

I'm a rockin' roller Bihnion also. TB carryon personal items make it possible for me to be organized and take less.

Honestly, there is no right or wrong. For me, it's all about evaluating what I need for each trip, making a risk assessment (current state of my back, chances of lost luggage, difficulty of getting overhead space, carryon limits vs. checked bag fees, whether my plans will be impacted by waiting around at the baggage carousel), and what the circumstances will be when I arrive (plant myself in one spot or travel around for two weeks on foot...). On my last trip I checked a bag, and arrived to find it had not. My Smart Alec, with a few changes of clothes and my toiletries, was a life-saver.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Honestly, there is no right or wrong. For me, it's all about evaluating what I need for each trip, making a risk assessment (current state of my back, chances of lost luggage, difficulty of getting overhead space, carryon limits vs. checked bag fees, whether my plans will be impacted by waiting around at the baggage carousel), and what the circumstances will be when I arrive (plant myself in one spot or travel around for two weeks on foot...). On my last trip I checked a bag, and arrived to find it had not. My Smart Alec, with a few changes of clothes and my toiletries, was a life-saver.
    Hi bchaplin,

Thanks for the feedback, I definitely agree with you. What I do like about TB bags is that they don't attract the attention of boarding crews and can be squeezed into spaces that other carry-on bags couldn't. Just curious, what bag were you carrying when you were asked to check your bag?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    I feel @ykang2375 's pain. When I was at my fittest and had very good upper body strength, traveling with even my 15 lb BB left me winded. I too had the same "wtf how do people do it" feeling. Heh. But that was before they released the BB hip belt.

I don't know they would make a hip belt for the carry-on luggage like the TS because there doesn't seem to be any loop on the bag for attaching one. :S
    Hey @adalangdon, I'm glad I'm not only here. 10, 11, 12...pounds feels very different after a long haul international flight. I get the one bag travel philosophy but I'm not breaking my back anymore.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    No shame in a roller bag. I go between my Tumi expandable International 2 wheel bag, A30, and WF when I travel. Can I have one bag that does it all? Of course, but my needs vary from trip to trip. So does my mood.

Hi @Pokilani, just curious what kind of traveling do you do? I fly Air China often and their carry-on limit for international coach passengers is 5kg which is roughly 11 pounds. The one thing I don't like about my new Tumi Wheeled Duffel is that is weighs 7.9 pounds. It's pretty small and only has 2 wheels so I don't think it will get the attention of boarding crews but if they weigh it I doubt I would be under the 11 pound limit, fully packed. Though I do see a lot of Air China passengers take massive trunks with them for carry-on luggage and I've never seen the boarding crews check anyone's bag. Your experience with your Tumi bag would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ykang2375 View Post
    Hi bchaplin,

Thanks for the feedback, I definitely agree with you. What I do like about TB bags is that they don't attract the attention of boarding crews and can be squeezed into spaces that other carry-on bags couldn't. Just curious, what bag were you carrying when you were asked to check your bag?
    Actually, it was my decision to check a bag. It meant I could walk around during my London layover relatively unencumbered, and get through security quickly as I was ahead of the pack of passengers slowed down by their bags. And I didn't need to stress out about overhead space, which gets quite tight on the flights to and from Lagos. I deliberately chose a junker for this purpose, because they tend to get dirty or even ripped.

I was quite upset when the suitcase didn't arrive, but honestly, that was the first time it has happened in a dozen or so similar flights. We had an unruly passenger removed from the plane as we were departing, and my suspicion is that they offloaded some extra bags along with his. A few of us on that flight were missing suitcases.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 07-12-2015 at 09:33 AM.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Hey @ykang2375

"Roller Luggage" is not a taboo word. It definitely has its place especially for those that have physical limitations or have to carry even medium weight items for long distances or time. It, like all other luggage, has different use limitations - e.g. wheeled luggage are not good on uneven flat surfaces and any carried luggage cannot change the laws of physical concerning weight.

However, I do say that, as with all backpacks, weight distribution is important for it to be comfortable in the long run (given your body is comfortable to haul the weight in the first place). Perhaps working on adjusting the waist strap or sternum strap may assist with things - test pack at home and carry the weight around all day and adjust. Also, for carrying the Tri-Star via Shoulder Strap, I found that reducing the length of the strap helped minimize the "bounce" that occurs with heavy luggage. The bounce was generally what made carrying heavy luggage tough as it interrupted my walking gait.

In the end, I applaud your decision based on your reasons. Before TB, I had a Tumi Roller - International size that I was sure would be ok as carry-on on the small regional jets ... after continually being gate checked, I researched and found TB. So, being gate-checked was my criteria, not weight. However, I still have that Tumi Roller for use mainly by my wife who prefers the convenience (I can carry it via the handles on uneven surfaces if needs be) and is ok for it to be gate checked.

Another thought which I think I see from the responses is to use TB bags as personal items. So, another interesting scenario might be to get a Western Flyer. If not filled to the max, it can be a personal sized item and can be used as a briefcase. It is about the size of an Empire Builder - I was actually surprised how "small" it looked when I first got it. It has the backpack option and generally would be lighter than a Tri-Star. Another bonus is that you will already be familiar with the packing style. You can also strap it onto a roller handle as well:

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Forum Member
    There is nothing wrong with using a wheeled bag if you are more comfortable doing so. I used to promote the use of non-wheeled bag travel only but realized a couple of years ago that one bag travel was possible with a carry-on sized wheeled bag.

I'll even admit that lately, I've been using one as I'm getting older and, sadly, a little out of shape. I decide which bag I'm going to take depending on the trip.

I do wish TB would make a hip belt attachment for the Aeronaut and Tri-Star. I have a different carry-on bag with a hip belt and it makes all the difference when being used. The weight is off my shoulders and distributed to my entire upper torso.

The current optional TB waist belt is held on by gatekeeper clips. I don't see why some type of hip belt couldn't be attached the same way. Or perhaps having the backpack strap clip onto the hip belt and the hip belt clip onto the bag where the backpack strap normally does. This would allow the hip belt to reach all the way from the bag forward.

They offer one for the Brain bag....how about the main travel bags?

Until then, and even if they do that, I'm looking for a wheeled bag that's about 21 x 14 x 8 (55cm x 35cm x 20 cm) to meet most international airline carry on limits, and weighing less than 6 lbs. I found a couple that are 20 x 14 x 8 but their external handles are so big they'd never fit in a sizer.

I find either of the two Daylight bags to make excellent personal items and again I decide depending on what I'm taking and the type of trip,. (The Western Flyer will be too big as a personal item on many airlines now that some are putting out sizers for them.)
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

@Frank II is correct that the Western Flyer may not be able to be classified as a personal item and YMMV depending on airline.

Also, having looked at Air China - which you mentioned earlier - it looks like unless you fly First or Business Class, you can only have one item anyways - so never mind

However, if the airline allows personal items, the soft sided WF can shrink to fit if not filled to the max (and are lighter) - especially the Dyneema versions. This option may give you some added flexibility if your carry changes (e.g. need to add a present/souvenir). At least for airlines like United, it can work as a personal item as shown in @maverick's picture:

Note that it fits the sizer but is bigger than the published limit as the sizer is 1" bigger than the limit in length and width:

Published personal item limit: 9″ x 10″ x 17″
    Actual sizer dimensions: 9″ x11″ x 18″

This is the thread discussing it: Western Flyer Fits United's Personal Item Sizer

Additionally, the WF may work well on your 1-2 day short domestic trips without getting too heavy.

However, these are all just options in addition to your roller. If items like a Daylight Briefcase, Daylight Backpack or even a Pilot / Co-Pilot / Ristretto is enough with your roller, those are good options too.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Quote Originally Posted by ykang2375 View Post
    Hi @Pokilani, just curious what kind of traveling do you do? I fly Air China often and their carry-on limit for international coach passengers is 5kg which is roughly 11 pounds. The one thing I don't like about my new Tumi Wheeled Duffel is that is weighs 7.9 pounds. It's pretty small and only has 2 wheels so I don't think it will get the attention of boarding crews but if they weigh it I doubt I would be under the 11 pound limit, fully packed. Though I do see a lot of Air China passengers take massive trunks with them for carry-on luggage and I've never seen the boarding crews check anyone's bag. Your experience with your Tumi bag would be greatly appreciated.
    I do mostly pleasure travel, but have recently started a study abroad program to London where I take a group of freshmen. I could never pack my Tumi to fit within Air China's weight limit. My bag also weighs about the same. That weight limit is crazy. I've been able to get my A30 and WF packed to between 11-15 lbs for trips to various places, but I'm small and so are my clothes/shoes.
    While most of the time I carry-on the Tumi, it doesn't work if I need to expand it and am forced to check it. I also have to give it up for regional jets. I tend to use the Tumi of i need to pack for a variety of activities and/or need multiple outfits for one day. Also, if I'm going on trips where I know I will be shopping. Also, when going to destinations where I am OK with my bag being checked if the flight is full.
    If I REALLY want my bag with me at all times, I go with my TB bags. Especially, if I'm taking trains on a trip. I avoid a roller bag in these situations.
    My sister recently bought a 19 in Lipault that is about the size of the A30. The only downside I see to this tiny bag is the lack of a side handle. I'm tempted to get it for my partner because that bag will definitely fit in a regional jet and it is very light and she likes wheels. I wish I had taken a picture of it next to my packed A30.
    Amazon.com: Lipault 2-Wheeled 19 Inch Carry-On, Black, One Size: Clothing

"Exhaust the little moment.
    Soon it dies.
    And be it gash or gold it will not come
    Again in this identical disguise."
    -Gwendolyn Brooks