Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Merino on clearance

Hi all,

Kathmandu is a New Zealand/ Australian based chain of stores that sell outdoor wear/gear. Because it's summer over here a lot of winter stock is on heavy clearance (merino and fleece especially).

Outdoor Clothing Outlet | Shop Clearance & Outlet | Kathmandu AUS

They do ship overseas and have a flat rate of $29AU, however if you join the Summit Club ($10AU, which gives you further savings on most items, for example a further 20% off clearance items at the moment) and spend $100 in one transaction the international shipping is free.

This morning I purchased (all merino) two long sleeve baselayer tees, a long sleeve hoodie and a v-neck pullover for $168 AU (~$130 USD). Full priced, these items would have set me back $720 (well, not true as I would not pay full price for a single item)

Another NZ store with great items on clearance is Mac Pac. I picked up this merino bomber jacket for less than half price:

Outdoor Clothing & Adventure Equipment Store Merino Bomber Jacket Women's | Womens | Clearance | Macpac

Happy shopping!

Thanks for the info!

Super Moderator
    Neat! Even if I never use it again, now I've joined up in their club; I like that it's (like REI's) a lifetime membership; I haven't had much call to shop at REI recently, but whenever I do I'm happy about that little perq. Good psychology -- too bad there's no 10pct off club for TB

Just ordered two merino pieces -- a midlayer and a "jacket" that I suspect will for me be what I'd call a hoodie rather than what I'd call a jacket, but Hey -- semantics! Now I own 5 pieces of merino (these above, plus two ice breaker full-zips, one with hood, and an icebreaker scarf) thanks to this forum and to CoolTools, and I am a happy convert / fan.
    Last edited by timothy; 01-29-2015 at 03:38 PM.

Super Moderator
    Update: Holy moley, that was fast! And both things I got are perfect.

I guessed correctly that (L) is always smaller than a U.S. (L), but that was the largest they had of the midlayer merino pullover, and it's an incentive not to gain too much weight XL in the merino hoodie, perfect; they layer nicely, too. As soon as they arrived (4 days?! From Australia? They must have been sheering, spinning and dying on the plane ...), I put them both on and took a nice nap.

I bought a macpac merino t-shirt on clearance in Australia a few years ago. It's the best merino shirt I own and has held up beautifully. I did have to darn a small hole which was caused, as far as I can tell, by mice in a game park hut in Africa.

Speaking of clearance, Ibex's winter sale started today.