Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DIY instant soup (alternatively titled: Warm Lunches for Cold Days)

I'm intrigued by this idea for do-it-yourself instant ramen soup. I don't bring my lunch to work now because I dislike carrying a separate bag or box, and can't fit the food into my Co-Pilot. (Instead I keep sandwich items in the office, since we have a refrigerator.) However, this looks much tastier. I wonder if it would work to put the items in a thin thermos, like the Klean Kanteen that fits in the water bottle pocket of most Tom Bihn bags, and after rehydrating, pour it into a bowl.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    I'm intrigued by this idea for do-it-yourself instant ramen soup. I don't bring my lunch to work now because I dislike carrying a separate bag or box, and can't fit the food into my Co-Pilot. (Instead I keep sandwich items in the office, since we have a refrigerator.) However, this looks much tastier. I wonder if it would work to put the items in a thin thermos, like the Klean Kanteen that fits in the water bottle pocket of most Tom Bihn bags, and after rehydrating, pour it into a bowl.
    Yeah, I think you can totally pull that off in a kleen kanteen. The first day you do it, you may have to bring a lidded mason jar from home - to use to "cook" and eat your soup once you add the hot water, but then you could leave it in your desk along with utensils, so you'd only have to two-bag it once. If you do try it, let us know how it works!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.
    "A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Thanks!
    I already have a bowl at work.
    My thought was that the cooking would take place in the Klean Kanteen (I'd use a vacuum one). I think that's the only way the ingredients would be able to be poured out of the container.
    ----

What an interesting concept - looks delicious. But the sneaky enabler side of me thinks, "If you upgrade to a Pilot, you could carry a bento box or jar."

This looks like a great alternative to my winter staple of homemade frozen burritos (which I'm sure would slip right into even a full CP, no problem). I'm guessing that dried mushrooms would actually work quite well. You could also keep most of the ingredients at work and simply bring a little box of pre-cut veggies once a week to dress up your soup.

Wish I could "like".
    That's a great idea about the dried mushrooms and keeping some items at work.
    @TavaPeak: I do have a Pilot. I prefer the Co-Pilot though for my every day needs. I find that it makes a difference in strain on my shoulder, and fitting onto my packed commuting train.
    ----

Wish I could "like" also. Thanks for sharing the wonderful link, @bchaplin. I am already looking through my pantry to see what I can find for my own DIY noodle soup!

P.S. One of the reasons I switched from the CP to PU as my EDC is so I would not have to carry a separate lunch bag. I find an underpacked PU to be more flexible and comfortable to carry than an underpacked Pilot.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

I want to love this post! And I can't wait to try it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Exhaust the little moment.
    Soon it dies.
    And be it gash or gold it will not come
    Again in this identical disguise."
    -Gwendolyn Brooks

Thanks!
    I already have a bowl at work.
    My thought was that the cooking would take place in the Klean Kanteen (I'd use a vacuum one). I think that's the only way the ingredients would be able to be poured out of the container.
    That makes more sense!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.
    "A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Just picked up some ingredients! Gonna try it this weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Exhaust the little moment.
    Soon it dies.
    And be it gash or gold it will not come
    Again in this identical disguise."
    -Gwendolyn Brooks

Here's my attempt... Shiitake mushrooms, spinach, carrots, chicken, rice noodles, green onions, Better Than Bouillon on the bottom, and a bit of Sriracha sauce. I put in a container that could also serve as a bowl, would fit in the PU, has a leak proof top, and is light enough that I would actually carry around with me. Now I have to wait for dinner time for the all-important taste test...

DIY instant soup (alternatively titled: Warm Lunches for Cold Days)-p1030168-jpg
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Nice!
    Please let us know how it tastes.
    I'd also appreciate knowing which rice noodles you used, and how they cook. I know this sounds crazy, but I went to the Super 88 Market today (an Asian grocery store), and was confounded by the aisles and aisles of noodle choices.
    ----

Super Moderator
    Other good ingredient options, depending on one's overall diet and taste:

- dried shrimp or anchovies (Asian market)
    - Spices/pepper mix (like this: Shichimi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
    - tempeh
    - soft-boiled egg (if transport is safe ...)
    - celery (might want to de-string it)

Forum Member

Great idea!

Thanks, that looks like a much healthier approach to "instant" noodle soup.

Taminca, that looks delicious!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast