Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do you put things in the seat pocket?

Off course you dont. I have seen the clever hacks with side effects. :-) And if you have a night flight duffle- why would you put things anywhere else? My Pilot stays with me all the time with everything close by.

In the last month I have saved 3 people from forgetting things in the seat pocket. 1 ipad. Stressed businessman. 1 ipad and a coat on the hanger in the middle seat. Even more stressed businessman. The third was a young woman that forgot her passport and her boardingcard for her next flight. I can understand her. She was stressed because our flight was late in and her connection to Moscow was really tight. She was running up the aile without her passport before I stopped her.

So my tip is: Even if you are not a stressed businessman- never ever ever ever put anything valuable in the seat pocket.

Forum Member
    Good job saving the day for those 3! Those are good deeds.

I like the SE hack a lot. I do put magazines and books in the seat pocket, and very occasionally my glasses in a case, but I worry about losing the glasses!

Forum Member
    Just Magazines and trash until I can throw it away.

I hate flying!

I put water or pop bottles in the seat pocket, and sometimes a book or magazine. Nothing I'd be crushed to lose would ever go into that pocket!
    travel light.
    live light.
    spread the light.
    be the light.

Forum Member
    Forgot an iPod when I was about 17 or so in the seat pocket and had to work all summer to get money for a new one. Expensive lesson indeed!
    I tend to sit in exit row/bulk head seats on international flights, so I try to pack light and also really only take the stuff to my seat that I REALLY need. Passport/phone are sorted in something like an Organizer Pouch and attached to my belt ;-)!

I once left a set of papers I was grading in the seat pocket. Unfortunately there was no kind @LordButw next to me to rescue them, so I had to scrap the whole assignment and redo the syllabus. Fun times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Only a water bottle and a bag of snacks like almonds. Unfortunately, I might have left a few bags by accident.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brendabethman View Post
    I once left a set of papers I was grading in the seat pocket. Unfortunately there was no kind @LordButw next to me to rescue them, so I had to scrap the whole assignment and redo the syllabus. Fun times.

That makes me sad! I know how much effort it takes to grade papers and how hard it can be to break the news to students that due to unforeseen circumstances, the assignment has to get no/full credit/be dropping from grading, and why, etc. Sorry this happened to you.

Forum Member
    Never, ever, put anything you'll take off the plane into the seatback pocket. You don't want to know what things live in there.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

I only ever put my little trash bag in the seat pocket. But my dad --aargh-- has left his ipad on the plane that way. Luckily some kind soul turned it in and we got it back, but boy, the drama at our house before it was found.

Eta: how about this funny seat pocket tale from flyertalk? You've never seen it all - how a seatmate's dentures went missing onboard. - FlyerTalk Forums
    Last edited by viewsnortheast; 06-14-2015 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Added a link

Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    That makes me sad! I know how much effort it takes to grade papers and how hard it can be to break the news to students that due to unforeseen circumstances, the assignment has to get no/full credit/be dropping from grading, and why, etc. Sorry this happened to you.
    Thanks for the sympathy! It was a while ago, but I can still remember how awful it was. I did learn to triple check from then on.

Forum Member
    Several years ago I left an X-ray of my arm in the seat pocket on a flight back to the US from the Caribbean after I broke my arm in an accident on Tortola. I blame it on the pain medication.

A few years ago I found the paperwork for an unaccompanied minor who, according to the paperwork, was on the previous leg of the flight I was on. Found it just before we landed and gave it to a flight attendant on my way out.

Forum Member
    No except for a water bottle or my travel coffee mug - I'm afraid of what might be in there. I'll add that on my last couple of flights I've been on planes with the new 'slimline' seats and there is no real seatback pocket.

I hook my Side Effect to the seat pocket via double carabiner clips (great hack) and make sure everything important goes in there, except my Vapur water bottle which I also hook onto the seat back pocket, via its attached carabiner clip. For bigger stuff, I either keep it in my bag under the seat, or inside a shop bag (non-TB) in the seat pocket, but never loose in the pocket. I'm grossed out by all the snotty kleenexes and trash that always winds up in a plane's seat pocket.
    Donít make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, donít hesitate to make it beautiful. ó Shaker Philosophy

I try not to put stuff in the seat pocket because germs--and I'm not typically that squeamish about day-to-day germiness. Planes are starting to gross me out more and more, though. Recently I've been seeing full on garbage piles stuffed between seat and under seats that are not cleaned up at all between flights. Yuck! And, although the slim-line seats may lack comfort, I do kind of like the bungee-cord net style pockets because you can see exactly what is (or isn't) inside them.

I do the same as Amy w/ my Vapur bottle, and this post reminded me that mine's on its last legs, after many, many miles and liters. I noticed on my most recent plane ride (yesterday) that the plastic on the bottom is getting really creased. It's probably fine, but I worry it might crack/tear and leak, so I just bought myself a new one... and while I was at it, one for my dad for Father's Day.
    "When action grows unprofitable, gather information; when information grows unprofitable, sleep."
    Ursula K. Le Guin
    The Left Hand of Darkness

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast