Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Forum Member

(Un)Packing List for a 10-day trip to the PNW

I'm visiting family in Bellingham, WA for the next week and a bit. I one-bagged it up here, fitting my life into my Aeronaut 45. Since I neglected to take pictures when I was packing, they're coming as I unpack! Live from an AirBNB apartment (and its colorful bedspread):

First off, thanks to MaCheesm0 for the idea of attaching my Side Effect (SE) to my Aeronaut 45 (A45)! It made it a snap to walk around the airport and have some needed items easily accessible, while keeping my pockets empty.

Aeronaut 45 contents exploded out. by Nealopp

I'm pretty proud of my packing for this trip. I used 1 large A45 packing cube in the main compartment for my clothes and 1 side pocket packing cube for socks/underwear and a thin pullover. The main compartment was rounded out with my Daylight Briefcase (DLBC) sitting atop the packing cube, and some stuff sacks with other goodies placed around it. I also had some snacks in the zipper pouch on the "lid" of the main compartment.

Contents of the large packing cube:

PNW Packing List - 10 days, 1 bag! by Nealopp

3x merino t-shirts, 2 fancy shirts (collars = fancy, right?), 2x shorts, 1x workout shorts, 1x thin zip-off pants, and a rain jacket.

Contents of the side pockets:

PNW Packing List - 10 days, 1 bag! by Nealopp

1x light wool pullover, 6x assorted socks, 6x Uniqlo Arism boxer briefs (which I highly recommend).

The other side pouch had sneakers and some flippy-floppies:

Shoes and flip-flops in one side pocket packing cube. by Nealopp

Finally, my DLBC carried my ipad & keyboard (in a cache), a wireframe book stand, some pens, a couple comic books, my USB battery pack, and probably another thing or 2 that I'm forgetting about.

When packing, I always with I was a 5'2" woman instead of a 6'3" man. I helped my GF pack a couple months ago, and her clothes were all so little! I could have probably gotten away with an A30 if I were her size! :-P

I'll see if I can get a bonus re-packing list on my way home; I'm going to do a little shopping in Seattle! ;-)
    DLBC (black Dyneema), Synapse 25 Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet), Synapse 19 (Navy/Wasabi), Aeronaut 45 Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet), PCBP for TriStar (Iberian), Synapse 19 (Navy/Solar), Ristretto for iPad (Black/Wasabi), Large Shop Bag (Island),mini Q-kit, various packing cubes, stuff sacks, and pouches.

Retired but not forgotten: TriStar (Black/Wasabi), Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Solar), Synapse 25 (French Blue/Steel).

Forum Member

(Un)Packing List for a 10-day trip to the PNW

Bonus: My packing checklist (as an evernote link - feel free to copy and use it as you wish!)

Extra bonus: Using S-biners and clipping my Side Effect to the seat pocket in front of me is another neat trick I've used from these awesome forums. Here it is on an Alaska 737 vs their regional turboprop (Q something or other):

Alaska 737

Alaska Q something puddle jumper
    DLBC (black Dyneema), Synapse 25 Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet), Synapse 19 (Navy/Wasabi), Aeronaut 45 Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet), PCBP for TriStar (Iberian), Synapse 19 (Navy/Solar), Ristretto for iPad (Black/Wasabi), Large Shop Bag (Island),mini Q-kit, various packing cubes, stuff sacks, and pouches.

Retired but not forgotten: TriStar (Black/Wasabi), Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Solar), Synapse 25 (French Blue/Steel).

Nice photos and list, @nealopp is that paracord I see on the grab handle? What a neat idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Forum Member
    It sure is! This video tutorial should show you how to do it.

I like to do something to my bags to make them a little unique to me, not that there are enough TB bags out there to get confused with :-P

It doesn't do much on these handles aside from adding some color; on my Synapses, though, it adds a nice bit of padding to the grab handle on the top of the bags.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nealopp View Post
    It sure is! This video tutorial should show you how to do it.

I like to do something to my bags to make them a little unique to me, not that there are enough TB bags out there to get confused with :-P

It doesn't do much on these handles aside from adding some color; on my Synapses, though, it adds a nice bit of padding to the grab handle on the top of the bags.
    Me, too! I did an easy spiral hatch hitch decorative fob on both my FJNs and posted a pic in another part of the forum: Your Photos Are Needed (comment#706 with pic)

Thanks for the link to the cobra stitch for backpack handles video-I may attempt to expand my minuscule knot repertoire. I suppose that's a paltry reason to get a Synapse? I use other types of bags for my EDCs and I only have a PCBP...in Nordic so it's treated like the 'special' bag it is rather than a work horse
    Last edited by threeteez; 08-17-2015 at 08:32 PM. Reason: half hitch, not hatch hitch

Forum Member
    I hope you're enjoying Bellingham! I lived up there for 5 years... it's a wonderful place
    Current EDC: BB (Blk/Blk/Blk)
    Current Closet: SA (Blk/Blk/Iberian), UMP (Blk), TT(Island)
    Owner of All Day Ruckoff

Forum Member
    I sure am! My uncle and family lives up here, and he's owned a house on Lumi that he's lived in off and on for probably 30+ years. They moved to the city maybe 10-15 years ago or so, and have been there ever since.

It's a wonderful town -- big enough to have everything I need (Trader Joes + REI :-P ) and small enough to be walkable/bicyclable. Everyone seems to always be happy!