Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Volunteer Moderator

Suggestions for a morning outing in Frankfurt?

Hi folks,

I have a 5-6 hour layover in Frankfurt, and I would like to get out for a nice morning outing.

I am thinking of an out of this world cup of cappuccino, a nice walk along the water and on cobblestone streets, local markets, warm and friendly people, something vegetarian (vegan + milk products, no eggs) to eat, nothing hectic.

From a bit of googling, Wacker's Kaffee is supposed to have great coffee. Römerberg and Sachsenhausen look very charming. "What the Food!" is supposed to have some vegetarian friendly options.

I would love recommendations!

Thanks!!
    -m

Forum Member
    Frankfurt on Foot Walking Tours

They offer daily walking tours of Franfurt as well as "layover" tours.

I know one of the owners, Jo, and she gets great reviews. I'm not sure if these fit into your schedule but it's a thought.

I'd also suggest going over to the "Germany" board on the Rick Steves travel board. She is usually there to answer questions about Frankfurt and can help you plan your layover.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

From someone who has been there all of once and recently:

I was just there overnight and enjoyed walking along the river and in the Sachsenhausen district. I think that's about the only place we encountered cobblestone streets. That area was extraordinarily sleepy in late afternoon and we had trouble finding an open restaurant at the time we wanted/needed food (about 3pm). There is a pedestrian bridge (covered in love locks) that crosses the river and lands you at the museums. We were too late to take advantage of the museums, so we watched college teams rowing as we walked on the river path. If you have Rick Steves' Germany book, he outlines some walking tours and they seem like they would be quite easy to adapt to the time at hand.

There are quite a number of Starbucks but we were determined to avoid them and ended up with a so-so coffee somewhere

It's a big city and there's going to be a lot of hectic, especially around the main train station, the Altstadt and the big shopping district.

I remember it taking about 20 minutes to get from the airport to the Hauptbahnhof with trains maybe every 20 minutes. However, we had difficulty finding the trains - easily 20-30 minutes worth of time there. There were several escalators, 2 info desks and a tram ride involved. Customs took just a few minutes, though, if that's something you need to think about. Not sure if that's typical.

Volunteer Moderator
    I had a lovely outing in Frankfurt! I guess I should have posted the pictures in this thread, but they piggy backed on the Packing the Yeoman Duffel thread.

I didn't plan much more than knowing that I was going to buy a day pass for the train and that I was going to take the S8 or S9 to Hauptwache and explore from there, eventually making my way back to the airport.

I got out of the airport probably around 9 a.m., and everything was very quiet once I got into Frankfurt. After I had a cappuccino, I saw a lot of tourists were out. But otherwise, still very quiet.
    -m

Your photos make it look like I need to plan my next trip through Frankfurt on a weekday morning in the fall! I'm glad you enjoyed your layover (and the cappucino).

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by binje View Post
    Your photos make it look like I need to plan my next trip through Frankfurt on a weekday morning in the fall! I'm glad you enjoyed your layover (and the cappucino).
    If you're looking at German cities, I really enjoyed Munich!
    -m

I would have enjoyed Munich more if my husband hadn't transformed into a three year-old while we were there. To be fair, he was in a bit of pain due to a foot problem that he didn't address before leaving home, but he was being very unreasonable and refused to even consider renting bicycles or sitting out a day. Fortunately, he rallied by the time we got to Nuremberg or I might have pushed him under one of those wonderful German trains.

Volunteer Moderator
    By the way, I learned something about the S-bahn in Frankfurt. The "1" on the door to a separate seating area in the train cars stands for "1st Class."

My education on the matter came as a result of the conductor asking me "Do you know that you're sitting in First Class?" -- to which I responded a very bewildered and still waking up "oh?" She was very nice about it and allowed me to move out of the First Class portion of the car .
    -m