Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Forum Member

Anyone here ever flown Icelandair?

I'm considering flying Icelandair from Newark to London, with a brief (1.5 hour) stopover in Iceland (Reykjavik). It would be at least $100 cheaper than British Airways or Virgin Atlantic. However, I understand it's a budget airline, so I was wondering: Has anyone done this trip? If so, did you like it?

I've heard tales of smaller than average planes and bumpy rides (the smaller the plane, the bumpier the ride, apparently).

Pros? cons?

Forum Member
    I've done the NY to Reykjavik a couple of times and I would call it much better than bare bones budget airline (and I'm quite particular on what airlines I will fly). There was nothing unusual about bumpiness and depends on crossing over the gulf stream how turbulent the winds gets. I've had much worse in 777's and 747's than on my trips to Iceland.

Forum Member
    I've taken Iceland air from JFK to Paris and it was fine. i found the seats to be as comfortable/uncomfortable as any other airline.
    Rejavik airport has the cleanest, almost sterile, bathrooms I've ever seen!
    We have friends who've also flown Iceland Air and had no issues with the flight. They also took advantage of the Layover to visit Iceland for a few days, something I'd love to do.

Forum Member
    One of the problems with reading too many travel forum posts is that you see all kinds of crazy claims. Like, one couple on Trip Advisor said the seats were about as comfortable as plywood with a cushion on it. Other people, like yourself, found it just fine.

I wonder sometimes if I am overthinking my trip.

Quote Originally Posted by tebnewyork View Post
    I've done the NY to Reykjavik a couple of times and I would call it much better than bare bones budget airline (and I'm quite particular on what airlines I will fly). There was nothing unusual about bumpiness and depends on crossing over the gulf stream how turbulent the winds gets. I've had much worse in 777's and 747's than on my trips to Iceland.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyinblack1964 View Post
    One of the problems with reading too many travel forum posts is that you see all kinds of crazy claims. Like, one couple on Trip Advisor said the seats were about as comfortable as plywood with a cushion on it. Other people, like yourself, found it just fine.

I wonder sometimes if I am overthinking my trip.
    l flew with them this past spring. I found their economy seats to be quite uncomfortable.

I'm 5'8" and 235 lbs, my butt was hurting about halfway through my flight from Seattle to Reykjavik. Width and leg room was about the same as any other plane I've been on. But the butt support was bad, I ended up buying a cushion for the flight home.

I've never had this problem before on my flights from Seattle to Japan.

As far as quality of flight went, it didn't seem any different from my flights across the pacific.

Forum Member
    I flew Icelandair from Seattle to Reykjavik this past April. I'm 5'8" and 235lbs, I did not find their seat cushions comfortable. My butt was hurting about 4 hours into the flight. I ended up buying a cushion to use for the flight home.

I've never had this problem before on the flights I've done from Seattle to Tokyo.

As for the seat width and leg room felt about the same as any other flight I've been on. Flight quality didn't seem any different.

Forum Member
    I wonder if I should go ahead and book now. The fare went up $30 overnight. I'm not sure how airlines work. Once this flight fills up, will they schedule another one for the same dates? In other words, if I don't get this fare, is it possible there will be one equal or lower later?

I confess: I'm rather baffled by all this fare-checking stuff. Last time I flew internationally, Virgin Atlantic had one fare RT and that was it. You just basically paid the price and voila!

Forum Member
    Fares are continually changing and no one can predict what they will be. If someone could, they'd become extremely rich.

If Icelandair sells out that flight for that day, they will not add another flight. They can't for a number of reasons.

First, they are not a U.S. based airline and don't just keep extra planes hanging around.

Second, they probably don't have a landing slot for the plane. Landing slots are sold by some airports to help alleviate congestion. Only so many slots are sold, and in the case of Newark, even have to have government approval. Once an airline has a slot, it technically owns it for forever but can swap with another airline for slots at a different airport. I doubt Icelandair has more than one slot.

Your only choice if that flight is sold out the day you want to travel is to either fly out of another airport or choose a different day.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    Well, I've pulled the trigger.

Thanks, everyone, for your advice. I'll be flying Icelandair. It should be an adventure!

Forum Member
    Be aware of one thing with Icelandair if you are sitting in coach--no free food. If you want to eat something during your flight either bring it on board or purchase it from the flight crew. You can see what they offer on their website.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    Yes, I've heard that. I plan on bringing some snacks from home as I am on a restricted diet. It might be interesting to check out one of the airport restaurants on the stopover in Iceland!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    Be aware of one thing with Icelandair if you are sitting in coach--no free food. If you want to eat something during your flight either bring it on board or purchase it from the flight crew. You can see what they offer on their website.

Forum Member
    I've flown Icelandair 4 times: 2 there-and-back jaunts from European hubs in 2012 and 2013. From memory, those flights were about 4 hours each, and I found them fine.

I managed to get the in-flight entertainment working with less hassle than in the supposedly-fancier long-haul connecting flights. Take your own earphones.

I'm not sure what restrictions you have in your diet, but taking food to eat on board is fine. The paid in-flight menu included a kind of Scandinavian fruit porridge that I came to like and look forward to ordering. (I've just checked, and it's the "Oatmeal with dried fruit and nuts", which is like the Nordic version of pot noodles: add boiling water and let it sit until it's ready to eat.) I'd happily fly with them again.

When we traveled Icelandair limited carry-on luggage to 6 kg, which was a kilo less than our connecting airlines. I've just checked their website and it now seems they're okay with 10 kg, so long as the item fits within their dimensions so it can go into the overhead lockers. Carry-on Baggage

I flew Icelandair a few years ago (Seattle->London, with some Reykjavik time in between) and found it very comfortable -- though at 5'0", I'm probably not the best judge of airline comfort. I brought food with me so I can't comment on the in-flight food, but I was a big fan of the in-flight entertainment (Icelandic movies).

I'm also not sure what the carry-on weight limit was -- when I asked them if they wanted to weigh my S19 they just laughed.

Forum Member
    I am 5'8" and about 155 lbs.
    I understand they offer some sort of "bidding" several days before your flight. You can bid for a seat in Economy Plus or Saga Class. Should be interesting to see what the bottom bidding price is.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyinblack1964 View Post
    Yes, I've heard that. I plan on bringing some snacks from home as I am on a restricted diet. It might be interesting to check out one of the airport restaurants on the stopover in Iceland!

The terminal in Reykjavik is jam packed with shopping and food - you should have no trouble filling your time there. They get a lot of travelers coming through doing what you are doing, and they are set up to accommodate them. It's too bad you can't stay longer and see some of the country - it is truly one of the most amazing places I've ever visited!