Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Thread: Travel Laundry

Forum Member

Travel Laundry

So I looked around a bit, but what is everyone's recommendation for soap/detergent/etc. to put in a 3-1-1 bag? I have a Scrubba that I got for camping and am planning on bringing it along on my 3 week China tour, but I am unsure of what to bring regarding the cleaner, or anything in the 3-1-1 bag really. This is my first time doing carry-on only, even though no one else will be, so I'm a rookie when it comes to liquids and the like. Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Steel/Solar A45/French Blue BB/Navy Snake Charmer/Coyote DLBC/ Iberian TT

People often suggest multi-purpose soaps like Dr Bronner's. I've had good luck with the Travel Wash from Rick Steves. I have allergies to soap and perfume, but this product does not bother me.

Forum Member
    Are you going to stay into an international hotel chain or somewhere else?

If you have little soap bars found in big hotel chains, take a couple, you can use it to wash your laundry.

The most important is your toiletries, especially if you use special products. You can decant speciality products into 1 or 2oz Nalgene bottles or Go Toob, both are made of very strong plastic and leakproof lids.

Before you buy anything, check travel forums, ask people here who have been to China, this way you can find out what you need to bring and what is already available there.

This is the China subforum in the Flyertalk forum.

China - FlyerTalk Forums

Sea to Summit Wilderness Wash is pretty versatile and super-concentrated.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

I love the Dr Bronner's bar (baby mild is my favorite). I cut it in thirds. I bring one as a body and face wash and another to wash clothes. They don't count for the 3-1-1 and I don't bring them back. Some use it as shampoo, but I have yet to find a bar shampoo I like so I decant that into a smaller container.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    +1 on Dr Bronners, I use the liquid soap daily for shampoo and it can easily double as a body wash. I've never used the bar soap but I would think it would be equally effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used Dr Bronner's recently on a trip. I like it just fine for my skin and hair but I found it did not do a great job on my clothes, though I plan to tinker with my method.

I like Go Toobs a lot for liquids - no leaks so far, knock on wood. Besides the Dr Bronner's in a 3 oz tube (which lasts me at least ten days for hair/body/laundry), I bring conditioner (1 oz), lotion (2 oz), a travel toothbrush/toothpaste combo, a small Go Tubb with Tylenol and Advil, nail clippers, a comb and a few other little things. All of this fits in a 3D org cube.

I can't help myself. I'm still a sucker for Woolite. You can buy travel packs of liquid, decant your own in a GoToob or skip the liquids and get the powder.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Forum Member
    I use many of the items listed above plus the following:

The first two don't have to go in your 3-1-1 bag:

Travelon Laundry Soap Sheets:

Amazon.com: Travelon Laundry Soap Sheets, 50-Count: Health & Personal Care

Sea to Summit Laundry Soap Sheets:

Amazon.com: Sea To Summit Trek & Travel Pocket Laundry Wash (50 Leaves/ .5 Ounce): Sports & Outdoors

The Travelon version has a little more scent than the other. There is also a liquid version of the sea to summit laundry sheets:

Amazon.com: Sea to Summit Trek & Travel Liquid Soaps: Sports & Outdoors

And then there are the small packets of Tide:

Amazon.com: Tide Travel Sink Packets, 3-Count: Health & Personal Care
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

I make my own detergent, for use at home or traveling, and it's a powder, so no 3-1-1. 3 parts washing soda, 1 part baking soda, 1 part fine sea salt. (Try to get a salt that doesn't have anything added as an anti-caking agent.)

At home I use 1-2 tbsp per load, but when I'm traveling I just kind of eyeball it. I brought a 1 fl. oz. jar this trip which did 3 small loads plus handwashing a scarf. I find that a little goes a long way.
    It's pronounced "Pan-Jiff-Oh-Knee."