Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Luggage cart

Forum Member

Luggage cart

When I was talking about spinner bags on here a couple of months ago, someone mentioned that rather than a spinner bag, I should consider an aeronaut and a folding luggage cart. Which I am considering.

This might be a silly question but: What the heck do you do with your luggage cart when you are boarding the plane? It seems like an odd thing for the airline to let you carry such a device on board. Do you fold it up and put it in the Aeronaut? Would it not add significant weight?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ladyinblack1964 View Post
    When I was talking about spinner bags on here a couple of months ago, someone mentioned that rather than a spinner bag, I should consider an aeronaut and a folding luggage cart. Which I am considering.

This might be a silly question but: What the heck do you do with your luggage cart when you are boarding the plane? It seems like an odd thing for the airline to let you carry such a device on board. Do you fold it up and put it in the Aeronaut? Would it not add significant weight?

Thanks!
    Are you referring to a bag for a full-size spinning wheel?

Luggage carts (at least in the past) are small, lightweight, and foldable. They can be tied to luggage.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

We have strapped ours to our carryon bags without problems - our bags are smaller than the max size allowed though.

(I suspect that "spinner" in this context is a suitcase with 4 wheels that rotate 360 degrees)
    List under construction ....

Quote Originally Posted by daisy View Post
    We have strapped ours to our carryon bags without problems - our bags are smaller than the max size allowed though.

(I suspect that "spinner" in this context is a suitcase with 4 wheels that rotate 360 degrees)
    Ok - I've seen people talking about spinning wheels/TB luggage for them on Ravelry (knitting page), hence my comment

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyinblack1964 View Post

Thanks!
    If you got a smaller one that does not weigh a lot then you might be able to slip it into the bag you use it with on the plane.

I do.

How times have changed. I actually remember the olden days when there were few rolling uprights, and I saw people using folding luggage carts. I remember flight attendants offering tips on how to stow the carts in the overhead!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Forum Member
    Luggage carts would seem to be an unnecessary piece of gear to haul around on a holiday, just to be used occasionally. One of the benefits of the Aeronaut and other TB bags is that they come equipped with backpack straps as well as shoulder strap and handles. Even fully loaded, I've found that the TriStar is very easy to wear with the backpack straps.

I have folding luggage cart that I use not for travel, but for lugging huge grocery hauls from the car to my apartment or getting more than two laundry baskets at a time to the basement.

I just checked it, and when collapsed, it will fit wheels out into the backpack strap pocket of my Aeronaut 45. I could definitely see this fitting just fine in the overhead bin if needed.
    "When action grows unprofitable, gather information; when information grows unprofitable, sleep."
    Ursula K. Le Guin
    The Left Hand of Darkness

I should add that you do need to keep them in your custody - ours was grabbed by over enthusiastic baggage handlers at Southhampton docks, along with the western flyer it was strapped to.

Neither were delivered to our cabin however luckily the WF was bright red so i could see it outside another cabin down the corridor where the apparently dislexic attendant had left it (cabin number was ours reversed). The trolley was never seen again.
    List under construction ....

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    How times have changed. I actually remember the olden days when there were few rolling uprights, and I saw people using folding luggage carts. I remember flight attendants offering tips on how to stow the carts in the overhead!!
    I live in a small town where there used to live a lot of airline staff. I remember the flight attendents allways had luggage carts for their bags. Even if it was only a small holdall. It was part of their "setup".

After this most recent trip with my husband's Tri-Star, which was unfortunately incredibly overloaded with work along with my books, a rolling cart is sounding more appealing. Almost every time I travel, I am pretty light weight and I use just my Western Flyer, but this past trip was very harsh on me physically. I should have just checked a bag, but I didn't want to wait around to claim one.

If I get some time here in the next few days, I'll see if I can search around the forums for some folding cart recommendations.

All I know about this one is what I learned looking at the Amazon listing (and it's expensive!), but part of me was tempted by the photo of the woman holding the collapsed cart--so tiny
    "When action grows unprofitable, gather information; when information grows unprofitable, sleep."
    Ursula K. Le Guin
    The Left Hand of Darkness

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    All I know about this one is what I learned looking at the Amazon listing (and it's expensive!), but part of me was tempted by the photo of the woman holding the collapsed cart--so tiny
    The price does not seem bad to me,this is a tool to help save your back and your Trip!
    I would readily get that thing if I thought it would do the job.

Forum Member
    According to a Chinese website it weighs about 900 grams. That's two pounds or so.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Forum Member
    I'm resurrecting this thread because I found a cart that will work with the Aeronaut or smaller bag as long as the bag is not over 20 lbs or so, is packed in a balance nature, and you don't take it over rough terrain. (Airline and train terminals, or flat, smooth cement surfaces only.)

It weighs just under 1 lb and fits into the end compartment of an Aeronaut when folded. Don't expect heavy duty use with it but for those times you have a long walk and would prefer to have some wheels to help. And it's just under $18. (I'll be doing a full review on my site in a couple of weeks.)

Amazon.com: Travel Smart by Conair Super Mini Cart: Health & Personal Care
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast