Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

5 kg carry on limit.

has anyone tried to have a bag weigh at 5 kg for their carry on luggage? i have not prepack my luggage yet to see if i can do this but i wanted to know from you lot on this forum if this 5 kg is possible for a carry on luggage.

thanks beforehand.

the fungus.
    aeronaut[black/solar]tristar[black/red iberian]western flyer[black/steel]synapse[black/steel]side effect[black/wasabi]medium cafe bag[black/wasabi]large cafe bag[black/wasabi]shopping bag[steel].

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfungi View Post
    has anyone tried to have a bag weigh at 5 kg for their carry on luggage? i have not prepack my luggage yet to see if i can do this but i wanted to know from you lot on this forum if this 5 kg is possible for a carry on luggage.

thanks beforehand.

the fungus.
    Anything is possible. I flew to Atlanta from DC last week and my carry-on was a newspaper.

Perhaps you could tell us for how long you'd need to pack and where to
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Forum Member
    5kg is 11 pounds. My S25 weighed that the last time I did a test pack.

This is what it held:
    The packing cube of clothes had two complete outfits, plus a base layer. I wear ladies size large clothing. Sanitizing wipes, ear plugs, a paperback book, an eye mask, an inflatable pillow and a pashmina for the flight. A 3x3 padded pouch with electronic cords, back up charger and do-dads. A travel laundry kit, sewing kit, travel tool kit (duct tape, thin para cord), eye glasses repair kit, and spare prescription glasses. A small toiletry kit with 2 ounces liquid soap, travel size solid deodorant, toothpaste and toothbrush, travel size hand lotion, and nail clippers. A travel hot water coil and tea bags. A camera and four AA batteries. A small travel stuff sack with medicines. Flip flop shower shoes.

I have traveled for over five weeks with this packing list. There was extra room in the bag.

There are several tricks to saving weight. First, start with the heavy stuff. Electronics and books. Eliminate what you can. Voltage converters are typically heavy and the electronic devices that use them are usually bulky. I leave them home. (Note that plug adapters are small and light, and serve a different function than the voltage converter.)

Next eliminate duplicates. Bring only the essentials. Liquid typically weighs more than solids. Cut back on your toiletries. It is rare that I use 3 ounces of any liquid when traveling. Decant toiletries into the smallest container possible.

Putting heavier items into your pockets can help, too. elisa

hey, yeah, i am going for a week to cuba. all inclusive. varadero. the surprise escape package.

i am taking with me :

one pair of merino wool underwear

one cellphone.

two merino shirts. one for sleeping. one for daily use.

three tubes of lotions.

two pairs of shorts. one for swimming. one for sleeping. both are lightweight.

a light jacket. the houdini jacket by patagonia. very light but this can become useful when walking around at night.

maybe a pair of birkenstock flip flops. again, very light.

no socks.

on me i will have a merino wool shirt and cargo shorts with deep pockets. i plan to stuff my lotions in the pockets. all clothing are going into the backpack.

i plan to use the packing cube backpack what was made for the aeronaut.

can anyone comment on the night time weather in cuba? does it get cool at night near the beach? will i get my weight under 5 kg?

thanks to anyone for any helpful tips.
    aeronaut[black/solar]tristar[black/red iberian]western flyer[black/steel]synapse[black/steel]side effect[black/wasabi]medium cafe bag[black/wasabi]large cafe bag[black/wasabi]shopping bag[steel].

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
    5kg is 11 pounds. My S25 weighed that the last time I did a test pack.

This is what it held:
    The packing cube of clothes had two complete outfits, plus a base layer. I wear ladies size large clothing. Sanitizing wipes, ear plugs, a paperback book, an eye mask, an inflatable pillow and a pashmina for the flight. A 3x3 padded pouch with electronic cords, back up charger and do-dads. A travel laundry kit, sewing kit, travel tool kit (duct tape, thin para cord), eye glasses repair kit, and spare prescription glasses. A small toiletry kit with 2 ounces liquid soap, travel size solid deodorant, toothpaste and toothbrush, travel size hand lotion, and nail clippers. A travel hot water coil and tea bags. A camera and four AA batteries. A small travel stuff sack with medicines. Flip flop shower shoes.

I have traveled for over five weeks with this packing list. There was extra room in the bag.

There are several tricks to saving weight. First, start with the heavy stuff. Electronics and books. Eliminate what you can. Voltage converters are typically heavy and the electronic devices that use them are usually bulky. I leave them home. (Note that plug adapters are small and light, and serve a different function than the voltage converter.)

Next eliminate duplicates. Bring only the essentials. Liquid typically weighs more than solids. Cut back on your toiletries. It is rare that I use 3 ounces of any liquid when traveling. Decant toiletries into the smallest container possible.

Putting heavier items into your pockets can help, too. elisa
    hey alaskan girl, thanks for the info. the s25 is the synapse 25, correct? wow and you got all that gear into the bag and the total was under 11lbs? it looks like i don't have to worry about going over the 11 lbs then. i do plan to stuff the lotions into my pockets of the cargo pants. everything else will go into the backpack. my only electronics is the cellphone with its cable and adapter. no pads and no tops and no camera. again, the backpacks will be either the packing cube backpack, the big one or.....the patagonia light weight backpack. i do have the synapse 19 and i may even use the large shopping bag.

Have a great trip @blackfungi!

Take some pics of how "less than 11 lbs" looks like in an S19.

Cheers!
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

test pack your S19 with the items you intend to bring, weigh it and report back. You won't fill the S19 and I'd bet it will weigh much less than 11 lbs even with everything in it including the lotions and your phone.... and some lightweight pants too! I'd wear the pants on the plane instead of the shorts though.

Forum Member
    hey, yeah, i am going for a week to cuba. all inclusive. varadero. the surprise escape package.

i am taking with me :

one pair of merino wool underwear

one cellphone.

two merino shirts. one for sleeping. one for daily use.

three tubes of lotions.

two pairs of shorts. one for swimming. one for sleeping. both are lightweight.

a light jacket. the houdini jacket by patagonia. very light but this can become useful when walking around at night.

maybe a pair of birkenstock flip flops. again, very light.

no socks.

on me i will have a merino wool shirt and cargo shorts with deep pockets. i plan to stuff my lotions in the pockets. all clothing are going into the backpack.

i plan to use the packing cube backpack what was made for the aeronaut.

can anyone comment on the night time weather in cuba? does it get cool at night near the beach? will i get my weight under 5 kg?

thanks to anyone for any helpful tips.
    That should easily be under the 5kg limit - but - you might want to revisit your list.

I don't see any long pants on the list. You might want to wear a pair on the plane. That'll require you to pack the shorts. You'll also want to assure that you have two of each clothing item in case one gets torn or gets something spilled on it.

Wear your heaviest garments on the plane - including the lightweight jacket. Since you'll be going through security, you can't just stick your liquids into your cargo pants but will need to put them into some sort of bag - I suspect the Canadians have their own version of 3-1-1.

Make sure that there won't be any "dressier" events that might require formal clothing - like socks.

Have a great trip. Take pictures of the TB gear in Cuba and share them. When are you going so that we can advise you on the weather?
    Last edited by ceb; 06-29-2015 at 09:37 AM.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ceb View Post
    I suspect the Canadians have their own version of 3-1-1.
    It's essentially the same as the US, only the measurements are given in metric units (100ml per container, everything should fit in a 1-liter bag).

The folks at the security line usually ask about liquids (which is when I remember "oh yes, I do" and just take the 3-1-1 bag out for them to check). But sometimes they've forgotten to ask, which has led to me forgetting to take the plastic bag out, and TBH I've never had any problems with that. I usually keep the liquids bag in one of my backpack's outer water bottle pockets anyway, so that may count in their minds as "outside the backpack".

For more info check out What do I put in the bins? | CATSA | ACSTA and Liquids, Food & Personal Items | CATSA | ACSTA.

The pics are upside down but you'll get the idea.

2 merino underwear (wear and a spare, at least)
    2 merino t shirts
    2 lightweight shorts
    1 Houdini
    1 Birkenstocks
    1 cellphone and cord
    no lotions

5 kg carry on limit.-image2-jpg

All clothing + houdini jacket fits into a Size 3 stuff sack
    5 kg carry on limit.-image3-jpg

or an Eagle Creek 1/2 cube. I could rearrange and fit the Houdini but there's no need to bury it.

5 kg carry on limit.-image4-jpg

I put the Birkies into the bottom pocket of my dyneema S19 and the packing cube + houdini into the main compartment. The phone was in the small outer pocket. The S19 + contents weighed 4.4lbs on a postal scale. I didn't include lotions because I don't know what you are taking and how much.

The main compartment had a ton more space. The outer side pockets, water bottle pocket and inner sleeve were empty.

@blackfungi, love the minimalist packing list! As others have stated, you shouldn't have a problem keeping the weight of your bag under 5kg. I know you said you were planning to take the Packing Cube Backpack and that you also own a Synapse 19. You might consider the S19 over the PCBP for its built-in organization AND comfort when carrying. (I don't have the PCBP, but the padded straps on the S19 might make travel more comfortable.) The S19 will add almost a pound, but it looks like you'll have that weight to spare, FWIW.

I've never been to Cuba, though it's on my bucket list! But I know that I wouldn't travel anywhere, any time of year, without a long layer (light sweater and leggings, if I'm trying to keep it minimal). I tend to run cold and, at the very least, would want it to wear on the plane.
    travel light.
    live light.
    spread the light.
    be the light.

Forum Member
    Yes, the S25 is the Synapse 25. I agree with the previous posts, your list should easily come in under the weight limit. To be certain, I always weigh my bags, just to be extra sure. elisa

hey guys, amazing feedback. i won't be wearing and taking long pants at all. it's complete relaxation. @ dandelion, i am also going to be wearing my birkenstocks, it's all i wear all year round. my flip flops are by birkenstocks as well. i am going to put all liquids in the tom bihn thingie with the see through walls made of this rubbery substance like latex. i forgot the name. don't worry folks, everything will be in pouches and stuff so that when i have to take them out i just have to pull out the pouches. i think that i will be using the large shop bag as my luggage.

i refuse to check in my luggage or carry on luggage. my wife is another matter. i don't trust baggage handlers at all and i don't want to lose all my gear.

i am going on july 9th. i wonder if i have to bring a light jacket/shell for the nights? i am defo going to walk along the beach at night.

oh yeah, i heard that there are mosquitoes problems? also, how are the cuban customs people? about cigars, i want to smoke a few but i don't want the crappy tourist cigars. where can i get authentic cuban cigars both at the resort and out in the town? thanks.

so my list again :

one pair of icebreaker underwear.

two icebreaker shirts, one for sleeping and one for wearing.

two pair of patagonia shorts, very lightweight. one for swimming and one for sleeping.

one cell phone only with the chord and socket.

one light jacket shell, the houdini jacket for when it gets too cold with the a/c on and for night walks.

two tubes of sunscreen lotions. one tube of dr. bronner's soap for hygiene and washing. i will use the hotel toothpaste and toothbrush.

a pair of flip flops.

no socks, don't need them.
    no shaving kit at all. i am not going to shave for a week.
    no pants since i won't be going formal at all.
    i will be wearing my cargo shorts on me and also a merino wool shirt. shoes will be birkenstock sandal. i will defo stuff something in my two cargo pockets.

i don't care what people think seeing my wearing the same two shirts or the same pants. as long as i don't stink and i sure won't with the merino wool garments.

i will take some pics. again, thanks for all the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
    The pics are upside down but you'll get the idea.

2 merino underwear (wear and a spare, at least)
    2 merino t shirts
    2 lightweight shorts
    1 Houdini
    1 Birkenstocks
    1 cellphone and cord
    no lotions

5 kg carry on limit.-image2-jpg

All clothing + houdini jacket fits into a Size 3 stuff sack
    5 kg carry on limit.-image3-jpg

or an Eagle Creek 1/2 cube. I could rearrange and fit the Houdini but there's no need to bury it.

5 kg carry on limit.-image4-jpg

I put the Birkies into the bottom pocket of my dyneema S19 and the packing cube + houdini into the main compartment. The phone was in the small outer pocket. The S19 + contents weighed 4.4lbs on a postal scale. I didn't include lotions because I don't know what you are taking and how much.

The main compartment had a ton more space. The outer side pockets, water bottle pocket and inner sleeve were empty.
    great post. it's very similar what i am going for plus the sunscreen lotions. i think that they will be put in a tom bihn pouch and be stashed in my cargo pockets so that my carry on will be even lighter. where did you go with this set up? thanks.

great post. it's very similar what i am going for plus the sunscreen lotions. i think that they will be put in a tom bihn pouch and be stashed in my cargo pockets so that my carry on will be even lighter. where did you go with this set up? thanks.
    I didn't go anywhere with this setup. I assembled, photoed and weighed it to provide you with technical data and visuals. If this was my packing list, I'd at least need to add a swimsuit top because I'd be arrested if I went to the beach wearing just shorts.

I'd rather carry the weight of my gear in my pack rather than loaded into cargo pockets too.

Have a great trip!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast