Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Isaac and Papa Go to Japan

I took a journey with my son, age 12. It was our first Father-Son trip together. We carried our Tom Bihn bags and spent 9 days together in Japan.

Part 1: Day 1–2, Tokyo

Isaac and Papa Go to Japan-imageuploadedbytapatalk1445956966-520744-jpg

Isaac and Papa Go to Japan-imageuploadedbytapatalk1445957124-173241-jpg

Isaac and Papa Go to Japan-imageuploadedbytapatalk1445957031-061233-jpg

Isaac and Papa Go to Japan-imageuploadedbytapatalk1445957058-247279-jpg

Isaac and Papa Go to Japan-imageuploadedbytapatalk1445957100-168795-jpg

Blog Post:
    mrbrown.com: Isaac and Papa go to Japan: Day 1–2

Full photo essay (warning: very image heavy) on Exposure.co
    Last edited by mrbrown; 10-27-2015 at 08:54 AM.
    @mrbrown on Twitter, happy owner of a Black Dyneema A45, Navy and Burnt Orange A30s, Navy Tristar, Navy WF, Navy NFTD, Navy DLBC, Navy Pilot, Navy and Burnt Orange Co-Pilots, Navy and Burnt Orange Side Effects, Burnt Orange and French Blue DLBPs, Linen SCB, and Burnt Orange, Navy and Dyneema S19s (yes three, because they are THAT awesome).

Forum Member
    Thank you for sharing - I loved the blog and I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the trip!

Part 2: Day 3–4, Kyoto

Isaac and Papa Go to Japan-imageuploadedbytapatalk1446003803-396109-jpg

Isaac and Papa Go to Japan-imageuploadedbytapatalk1446003842-966505-jpg

Isaac and Papa Go to Japan-imageuploadedbytapatalk1446003877-066943-jpg

Isaac and Papa Go to Japan-imageuploadedbytapatalk1446003914-822824-jpg

Part 2 of my journey with my son:
    mrbrown.com: Isaac and Papa go to Japan: Day 3-4

Full photo set on Exposure.co
    Last edited by mrbrown; 10-27-2015 at 09:48 PM.
    @mrbrown on Twitter, happy owner of a Black Dyneema A45, Navy and Burnt Orange A30s, Navy Tristar, Navy WF, Navy NFTD, Navy DLBC, Navy Pilot, Navy and Burnt Orange Co-Pilots, Navy and Burnt Orange Side Effects, Burnt Orange and French Blue DLBPs, Linen SCB, and Burnt Orange, Navy and Dyneema S19s (yes three, because they are THAT awesome).

So fun to travel with a kid (one kid ;-). Great trip!

Forum Member
    Mr. Brown...I'm enjoying all your photos and commentary on Exposure.co. How amazing to run into someone who follows you on Instagram! Looks like you and Isaac are making wonderful memories!

Forum Member
    Inspiring me to pack light on my upcoming trip to England!

@mrbrown, how does Isaac like traveling with the Bihn bags? And traveling light in general? Was it easy for him to travel with the Western Flyer and Side Effect? What was the longest distance he had to walk with it? Who transported the Daylight Backpack?

Thanks again for your travel posts and pictures. They are always fun to read and the pictures are very beautiful.

On the bus ride back to our area, I got up the middle of bus 207 and a friendly couple greeted me. “Hi, mrbrown! We follow you on Instagram, we love your photos of Japan.”
    Wow, that's great! And small world indeed. I'm amazed they recognized you!
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    @mrbrown, how does Isaac like traveling with the Bihn bags? And traveling light in general? Was it easy for him to travel with the Western Flyer and Side Effect? What was the longest distance he had to walk with it? Who transported the Daylight Backpack?

Thanks again for your travel posts and pictures. They are always fun to read and the pictures are very beautiful.
    Thank you!

The son loves our bags. We've traveled as a family with Tom Bihn bags in the past so he's familiar with the routine, though this is the first time he had a Western Flyer all to himself.

He usually gets assigned a Synapse 19 but I felt this time, he needed more space.

I did try to test pack an S19 for him but decided he needed some leeway. Good thing too, because his boots that didn't fit went right into the under-packed WF.

Before the trip, he didn't tell me he had outgrown the boots and they were a little tight. We ended up buying a new pair of sneakers for him in Tokyo on the second day.

He totally gets the concept of light traveling and not carrying too much. We were doing the laundry often and he knows how to pack with cubes already because I taught him this method for his scout camps.

We walked a lot with those bags. For instance, the distance between Hiroshima station and our hostel was about 20-25 minutes walk. And from the Narita airport we lugged our bags through the train system and to our airbnb.

His WF was less than 5kg (or 11lbs), and my A30 was less than 8kg (or 18lbs). My Co-Pilot was around 3.5kg (7.7lbs). His WF would have been even lighter if it wasn't for those darned Timberland boots he had to carry.

His Side Effect was actually from my A30. I used it as a packing cube for my beanie, gloves and scarf. I took it out for him to use because I realized he needed something for his wallet and phone and Suica transit card.

We both had Daylight Backpacks folded and hidden in the backpack straps of our WF and A30. I had a Burnt Orange one and he had the French Blue one.

Every time we moved between cities, the DLBPs were stowed in the strap compartments.

When we were sightseeing, he would take out his DLBP and plonk his Side Effect inside the DLBP, together with his jacket and my jacket, and leave the WF in the hotel room. Sometimes we had water or sandwiches in his DLBP too.

I never needed to use my DLBP but it was in case the shopping got out of hand.

I am going to take a folded-up DLBP along in my main bag from now on. It's too useful. And that staggered pocket design makes things so much easier to pack as it spreads the weight across the vertical of the bag so the DLBP doesn't become bottom heavy.

On my Singapore Airlines flight, I had a free 50kg luggage allowance and he had a 30kg allowance. We never needed to use it.

Isaac and Papa Go to Japan-imageuploadedbytapatalk1446080147-234144-jpg

Part 3: Day 5, Hiroshima.

Blog post: mrbrown.com: Isaac and Papa go to Japan: Day 5, Hiroshima

Full photo essay on Exposure.co

Isaac and Papa Go to Japan-imageuploadedbytapatalk1446081123-891028-jpg

Isaac and Papa Go to Japan-imageuploadedbytapatalk1446081162-379477-jpg
    Last edited by mrbrown; 10-28-2015 at 07:15 PM.

Wow! Thanks for such a detailed reply, @mrbrown. It's so great that Isaac is learning how to stay organized and the delight of light travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Exhaust the little moment.
    Soon it dies.
    And be it gash or gold it will not come
    Again in this identical disguise."
    -Gwendolyn Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by ladyinblack1964 View Post
    Inspiring me to pack light on my upcoming trip to England!
    Yes, do eeeet.

A good idea indeed. The London Tube is not wheeled luggage friendly. We've dragged suitcases through the Paris and London subways before, and it's no fun. Those stairs!

Really enjoying your posts, @mrbrown. Your Hiroshima post reminds me of my trip there 10 years ago. Such a heartbreaking and also inspiring place.

Part 4: Day 6, Hiroshima.

Blog post: mrbrown.com: Isaac and Papa go to Japan: Day 6, Miyajima Island

Isaac and Papa Go to Japan-imageuploadedbytapatalk1446170844-710456-jpg

Isaac and Papa Go to Japan-imageuploadedbytapatalk1446170921-256831-jpg

Part 5: Day 7, Osaka.

Blog post: mrbrown.com: Isaac and Papa go to Japan: Day 8, Osaka

Isaac and Papa Go to Japan-imageuploadedbytapatalk1446270570-643908-jpg

Isaac and Papa Go to Japan-imageuploadedbytapatalk1446270631-702877-jpg
    Last edited by mrbrown; 10-31-2015 at 12:11 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast