Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Forum Member

Duffel love Skookum Dog style

I have been on the hunt for the perfect duffel for quite some time, and in the process I have acquired a multitude of duffels from various brands over the past few years. As the weather turns cooler, my WF packing cube backpack that I use as a gym bag is getting a bit overstuffed as I add extra layers and gear. I have admired the coyote Skookum Dog medium duffel covertly over the past year, and I recently decided that perhaps this might have best duffel potential, as well as do double duty as a cool weather gym bag. I adore the end pockets as well as the inner side pockets and zippered mesh pocket under the lid. It is so rare to find a duffel bag with these built in organizational options, yet it is both durable and lightweight. Since the fabric is less stiff or structured feeling than the TB Aeronauts, the bag can be fairly easily compressed. This might be a pro or con, depending on whether one is looking for a bag that retains its shape at all times.

Of course, when I went to order online, all of the coyote medium duffels were gone. OH NO! So I decided to go to the store today to test my coyote resolve. I am extremely pleased to report that the forest medium duffel is gorgeous in person; sorry, coyote. Now I will freely admit that I have a passion for the various green fabrics, but the forest and coyote really do look fantastic together. While the black was also very nice, I found the tasteful green to be quite cheerful without appearing too bright. And while I was at it, I picked up a small camp mat for my #1 best kitty helper. And it seems like a hit in the short time since I brought it home.

I am including a few photos of the lightly filled duffel just after leaving the store, plus my cat trying out the camp mat. Unfortunately, I was using my iPhone to snap pics, and my cat was feeling a bit frisky rather than like posing. I will post more photos once I try the duffel out as a gym bag. I am also extremely excited to use the duffel as a road trip and/or overnight bag.

ETA: I would like to extend a big thank you to Cindy, one of the outstanding TB crew members, who was extremely helpful when I visited the store!
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 11-10-2015 at 08:51 PM.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

@nwhikergal I'm having the winter gym bag issue also. Living in Ohio I have to add a coat and boots to the mix. I also picked up a class before my water class, meaning a whole extra change of non-sweaty clothing for post-water. Wondering how this duffel fits into a skinny locker! I'm currently using a stuffed shop big that is hard to fit inside.

Forum Member

@marytattoo, the squishability factor makes it likely it would have a better shot than some bags at fitting in a skinny locker. After some completely non scientific testing, it appears that you would mainly be limited by how full you pack the bag. It is extremely compressible and easily packs fairly flat or folds.

Bag with ends folded under

Bag loosely folded in thirds

Center of bag fairly flat
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 11-10-2015 at 08:53 PM.
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    Just a few follow up impressions now that I have had time to practice pack and examine the duffel a bit more. It is way more spacious (holds a LOT more) than I imagined possible when I saw it at the store. When I placed all of my winter gym gear in the bag, including a medium sized towel, the bag was only 2/3 to 3/4 full. Granted, I wear women's small sized clothes, so that may be a factor, but this bag really swallows gear.

I was able to fit size 7.5 women's running shoes in the end pocket, and there was extra room remaining. In the main compartment I fit a towel, long sleeved shirt, running tights, shorts, lightweight jacket, midweight jacket, hat, sunglasses, toiletries, and earphones, and I still had space left over. And I didn't even use the other end pocket, or the slash pockets on the end pockets. A PCSB would also fit perfectly in the end pocket if necessary.

The construction is reliably solid, and there is lots of organizational potential with this bag. It is also nice the the strap can be attached to either the top of side of the bag.

I was surprised to see that this bag holds even more gear than an older style of Patagonia 45L Black Hole duffel that I own, and this bag has much better organization. My only dilemma is that I think it is bigger than I really need for a gym bag. This would be an excellent choice for a road trip or travel bag, and it could easily accommodate a week or more of clothes, depending on one's packing style. It would also be an excellent option for an emergency bag.

Forum Member
    I've thought about the camp mat for our dog on the rare occasions when he travels with us and we stay in a hotel. He has a nice rug that we have been using for that purpose. He also has a very nice "camping crate" that I love dearly because it is easy to set up and has a lot of options. I'm sure our kitty would have loved one too. I noticed they're out of all sizes except small right now.

That forest is a gorgeous color! 😍

Forum Member

Just in case this is helpful to get perspective on how big the middle section of the Skookum dog bag is, you can fit a 12 pack of double rolls of toilet paper in the center section easily, and there is still some spare room along the front and side of the rolls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And a folded in half small camp mat will fit in the center but extends up the sides of the inside.

Also, a tall 15 or 16 pound cat can comfortably sit on a small camp mat in the center section. :)

ETA: Credit for T.P. as a bag volume unit of measurement goes to Janine, I believe.
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 11-15-2015 at 04:18 PM.

@nwhikergal this is very helpful. I'm still trying to decide what to do for my gym bag in the winter. Right now my large shop bag (turned inside out) is packed to the gills. In the event I need it, a small hair dryer fits into one pocket, and miscellaneous stuff in the other. Toiletries are in a Snake Charmer. I carry a towel, complete change of clothes, swim suit (I used to not need an extra set of clothes but I picked up a class (just before my water class) that makes me "glow"), flip flops, and when boot season hits, regular shoes. A coat can go into the locker. I'm not petite so my clothes don't fold into tiny piles. Somehow a duffel or shorter open-top bag makes more sense for me as a gym bag. However, it's a lot of money for a bag I'd probably not use for anything else. I don't travel the same way many forum members do. Still thinking. Maybe a gym bag on the 30th will appear!

Forum Member
    @marytattoo, the items you mention should fit in a medium S.D. duffel without any issues, but I completely understand, it is a serious investment. It is larger than I need as a gym duffel, and I am in the trying-to-justify-another-travel-duffel stage of consideration with it. I am really impressed with everything it will hold, the fact that it does have multiple compartments, and its 1050d ballistic nylon construction. There are very few U.S. manufacturers that even make ballistic nylon duffels, and this has the best organization I have seen. It actually makes me wish I had a dog too, lol. The nice thing about it is that it feels sturdy enough that I would not be worried about its durability at all, no matter where I might take it. Oh why do I have a bag obsession?!!

I've always loved bags! I have a room I can't get into because a large part is filled with bags. The plan was to hire a friend this fall to clear it out as she has 2 other rooms but I had to buy a new car unexpectedly and I've not been able to afford it. So a bag room I can't get into. (no attic, never moved, lots of stuff).

NWhikergal - would you say the main compartment is about 15 inches long? Based on your TP and mat, I'm thinking the end pockets are around 3 inches, so the main would be 15 / 15.5 inches

NWHikerGal,

Love the use of TP rolls to measure volume, whoever originated it. Great way to visualize. BUT, my real reason for commenting is your cat! It's beautiful!! I like cats with that sort of marbling in their fur pattern.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KmK View Post
    I like cats with that sort of marbling in their fur pattern.
    That coloring is tortoiseshell, or "tortie." She/he is beautiful!

Forum Member
    @sujo, that should be approximately right, though I don't have it in front of me to measure. If anyone else has measurements handy before I can check, please share them. :)

Since the duffel is less rigid than the Aeronauts or NFTD, the bag can expand its shape a bit more, depending on how it is packed, this seems particularly true of the end pockets.

@KmK and Bijouxandbeads, thank you. I love my tortie, Lucy!

I always love pictures of Lucy. She's gorgeous.
    "Exhaust the little moment.
    Soon it dies.
    And be it gash or gold it will not come
    Again in this identical disguise."
    -Gwendolyn Brooks