Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

First and Second Aid Kit ... What will be in your Kit?

When I first heard of the two kits, I really liked the concept of a separate “Emergency” First Aid Kit and a “Readiness” Second Aid Kit – a kit for things that would be useful when life takes an unexpected twist – serious or not.

Exploring the Kits, they are generally identical except for color and outside symbol. The Parapack material is fantastic. They have four (!) O-rings to keep things organized and are just a bit smaller than the Standard Spiff Kit.

Here is a picture comparing the kits:

First and Second Aid Kit ... What will be in your Kit?-aid-kit-comparison-jpg

While most people have a good idea what a First Aid Kit is about, I found it fun to think up different scenarios to use the Second Aid Kit. I realized that it is very situational - in that each person / family has different readiness needs.

For example, with aging parents (which I have) that do not live nearby, you may need to unexpectedly quickly drive over and stay. Having a Readiness Second Aid Kit that has your “Overnight” needs would be handy and save time. Here are a few pictures of how it might look:

First and Second Aid Kit ... What will be in your Kit?-second-aid-overnight1-jpg

First and Second Aid Kit ... What will be in your Kit?-second-aid-overnight2-jpg

Another example brings out the “Tech Geek” in me – An urban kit that has key things I might need in this internet / google / party with friends world if I needed to go quickly – e.g. phone charger, tokens for public transit, music (iPod, smartphone, bluetooth speaker, earphones, etc), standard survival stuff (lighter, firestarter, wrench, pocketknife, Purel, etc). (Note the 4 O-Rings!)

First and Second Aid Kit ... What will be in your Kit?-second-aid-tech1-jpg

First and Second Aid Kit ... What will be in your Kit?-second-aid-tech2-jpg

Note that for both these examples, I also could add in a Small Shop Bag (pictured in Island Dyneema).

Could you use other bags for this - absolutely. But, with the Second Aid Kit, it is obvious what it is by the symbol and bright color. This way, you (or someone else in your family) will not accidentally misplace it or put it somewhere less accessible.

So … what do you want in your Aid kit?

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 12-01-2015 at 02:05 AM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

One other picture of the Small Shop Bag in the Second Aid Kit:

First and Second Aid Kit ... What will be in your Kit?-second-aid-shop-bag-jpg

Cheers!
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

It has O-rings! Brilliant. I really can't wait to get mine now. I have a half-full SE full of miscellaneous backup supplies (including foldable scissors, measuring tape, female sanitation and a pocket mirror) whose contents I will be moving to the FAK when it gets here. The SE and SSK are too big, the 3D cubes have no organisation... you get the idea. It sounds like this is *the* bag to house my stuff.

Will post photos when it arrives!

tpnl thanks so much! Love the "emergancy entertainmant kit"! I will copy that and use my blue one for that. The red one will of cause be first aid. Everything that I declaire "second aid" is at all sort of places in my bag, like a spare flashlight or an extra layer or what ever might be needed.

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Volunteer Moderator
    These are brilliant pictures, @tpnl. @Ilkyway, the First and Second Aid Kits are basically the size of the Side Effects, and feel a bit like Parapack, but the product page says this is just another nylon variant. I like the layout (with handles and with the second side being a clear zippered pouch), more than the divided mesh pouches on both sides of the open bag design of the regular Spiff Kit (which is a bit larger, as you can see from @tpnl's picture. The fact that both pockets have (2 O-rings), and that there is a center elastic webbing (which can hold a more substantial knife than the Swiss Army knife in the picture, or other utensils, similar to the design of the Lead's Pocket for the Guide's Pack, is also a plus). The fact that there is a clear pocket and that it is longer, means you can store items that you need to quickly recognize and grab (e.g., inhalers, scissors, etc.)

The are really nice accessory bags that can be used for all sorts of "emergency" (and not-so-emergency) purposes.

moriond