Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar

What's in my First and Second Aid Kits

Disclaimer: I make no claims that I'm an expert in what one might pack in their First Aid Kit; these are the items I've gathered over the years after reading about other people's kits. Some of the items I've used, others I thankfully haven't had to.

What's in my First and Second Aid Kits-darcyfirstaidforum-jpg
    Band Aid selection has been updated a couple of times. Note the extra diphenhydramine: I've always made sure to carry this ever since Lily stuck her nose into a wasps nest in the ground on a hike. Her nose/mouth area was beginning to swell and the diphenhydramine I was able to give her helped prevent it from getting worse. (Before doing so, be sure to ask your veterinarian if it's okay to give your dog diphenhydramine and if so, what dosage they would need.) The tick key has also proved a useful tool.

What's in my First and Second Aid Kits-darcysecondaidforum1-jpg

Second Aid, hiking/outdoors edition. The hat and gloves take up a lot of room in the kit and I might want swap out one or the other for more food or hand warmers. I've given this stuff (as well as items from my own First Aid Kit) mostly to people I'm hiking with as opposed to strangers -- which, hey, is a good thing, as that means I haven't run into too many people in need of help so far. It's nice to know that I'd perhaps be able to help a bit if I did, though.

What's in my First and Second Aid Kits-darcysecondaidforum2-jpg
    Second Aid, everyday edition. I started carrying this edition more recently and I expect its contents to change as I figure out what's useful vs. what isn't. I added the playing cards last minute -- we'll see how often they get used! I usually do bring a deck on trips. The dog leash and treats are for when I find lost dogs running around, which happens surprisingly often. I only use either of these after a dog has made it clear he's okay with me finding him and bringing him back to wherever he came from, as a dog really has to give you permission before putting a leash on it and treats won't help much if the dog isn't already okay with you. In other situations, treats can sometimes help from the outset: say, if you're at the dog park or at a trailhead and someone's there with their dog and it's time to go but the dog doesn't want to get back into the car because she's having too much fun. Extra hair thingies always seem to be needed. I like the Starbucks VIA coffee -- though I usually triple it up.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    Darcy, I mentioned this in another thread, but that's a great idea to keep the treats in a nalgene! My dog sometimes needs the extra incentive to do something really tough, and I've encountered a few wayward dogs where a well-timed treat might have made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Extra hair thingies always seem to be needed.
    Ha ha, the ONE THING my seven year old won't leave home without is about half a dozen hair elastics around her wrist!

One thing I've learned over the years is to always carry a menstrual pad (some people call it a kotex, although that's a brand). It doesn't have to be a thick one, it can be thin....but not a "panty liner", which are very thin. Yes, the obvious use is when a woman unexpectedly begins her cycle and doesn't have supplies with her. The not-as-obvious use (and a way I've -definitely- made use of one) is as a bandage...held on top of the wound. I've also (believe it or not) used it to soak up a spill that couldn't be left as-is. They're very useful, frequently are pre-wrapped, and are light to pack.

A condom also always goes in my first aid pack. They're fantastic for water-proofing something small, using as a tie/rubber band, and a myriad of other uses. ....also small, pre-wrapped, and light to pack.
    Black Dyneema/Wasabi SA (with UMP & LMP and GloWire), Cocoa/Wasabi Imago, Olive/Wasabi MCB, Verde/UV Swift, Black Dyneema/Island A30, Black Dyneema/Iberian Co-Pilot, PCSB in Wasabi, SSB's in Black & Wasabi, LSB's in Zest & NW Sky, TT's in Steel & Wasabi, Various Packing Cubes, TSS's, YSS's, OP's, and QKITs