Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Blog-Posts: Did you see that awesome thing on the blog?

Here is a place to share thoughts on our favorite Blog posts, maybe ask additional questions or just hint them out to each other.

GoStanford started this by pointing out the great interview of miking done by Badger: http://forums.tombihn.com/not-about-...html#post90367 here a direct link to said interview: Forum Spotlight: Five Questions for Miking - FIELD TRIPS by TOM BIHNFIELD TRIPS by TOM BIHN

There are really many great Blog Posts in a broad variate of styles, for instance:
    a. interviews with forum members like the one with miking or Janine from 03.12.2014, with monkeylady from 05.01.2015 or binji from 14.10.2014...
    b. in depth thoughts on designs and "back-hacks" like tpnl's design Spotlight from 06.08.2014 or Ineffable: Synapse 19? 25? The Struggle is Real! from 24.04.2014...
    c. interviews with persons of interest with great stories/ideas fitting great into here: http://www.tombihn.com/blog/intervie...r#post-header] or http://www.tombihn.com/blog/interview-courtney-carver or http://www.tombihn.com/blog/interview-mike-boyink...
    d. the occasional fun-fact ;-): (APRIL FOOL'S) New: Flocculent by TOM BIHN - FIELD TRIPS by TOM BIHNFIELD TRIPS by TOM BIHN
    e. many other interesting things like travel-reports, forum-round-ups, Tom Bihn Crew insights...

Sometimes the author is not clear but often it is the one and only Badger doing the interviews/Blog-Posts so lets take a moment here to THANK BADGER FOR TAKING THE TIME AND DOING THIS!

So let the fun of sharing all aspects of the Blog begin.

Ilkyway
    Last edited by Ilkyway; 01-26-2015 at 12:56 AM.
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

I have moved the post to the correct Topic.
    Links: http://forums.tombihn.com/bag-review...html#post90528

PS: llkway, I am alright. No worry :)
    Last edited by weirdguy; 01-27-2015 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Move Post to correct Topic
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB, TT, YSS/Tall, OP/S, PP Navy
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, FBPW, MCB, OP/L
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCB, SC, DOP/M, COP/M

BrainCell Size1 M4600, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

weirdguy this is a fantastic Blog-post thank you so much for linking it.

Edit: I think its best to seperat "our" Blog from others because there are so many out there it it would get to messy in this thread. Here is the link to the external Bag Reviews: http://forums.tombihn.com/bag-review...g-reviews.html

I can not change my initial post anymore so maybe a Mod or Darcy could help me out here? My suggestion would be: Tom Bihn Blog: Did you see that awesome article on the Blog? What do you think?

Ilkyway

PS: weirdguy is this okay with you?
    Last edited by Ilkyway; 01-27-2015 at 02:25 AM.
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

Matt's Brain Bag's Battle Scars: everythin needed for a blogbuster. Funny, great locations, scary and a happy ending!

Matt's Brain Bag's Battle Scars - FIELD TRIPS by TOM BIHNFIELD TRIPS by TOM BIHN

Ilkyway

Forum Member
    Check out the new blog post with a beautiful quote about everyday objects by Yanagi Soetsu, and accompanied by watercolor from Dan Bransfield - I wish I could draw like that! The following is from an exhibit a few years ago at the Honolulu Museum of Art:

"Yanagi Sōetsu (1889-1961) was a writer, collector, curator, and founder of Japan’s mingei movement in the 1920s. Inspired by England’s Arts and Crafts movement, and concerned about the loss of traditional Japanese culture and values, Yanagi championed handicrafts produced by anonymous artisans, as well as works by established artists who modeled their production according to the mingei ideal. According to Yanagi, to qualify as mingei a work must be:
    1) produced by hand
    2) inexpensive
    3) egalitarian
    4) functional in daily life
    5) representative of the regions in which they were produced"

I'd say TB products qualify in all respects, including #2 if you account for cost per use and #5 in that many products take user feedback into account.

I do not know about the work of Brenda Dayne, who shared the quote and is acknowledged in the post, but I bet the knitters in the Forums will know.
    Last edited by GoStanford; 02-11-2015 at 12:37 AM.

GoStanford this is so beautiful. Thanks for pointing it out. I'd like that exact picture and quote as a post cart. I would use it as gift-cards with the Tom Bihn Products I buy as gifts (that most of the time actually leave the house - but sometimes... stay)

Ilkyway

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    I'd like that exact picture and quote as a post cart.
    I was thinking the same thing, that this could be added to the print that TB sells of travel sites. ETA: I could not find the item I was thinking of, but I searched for Watercolor and it came up, the poster of the Aeronauts in Italy.
    Last edited by GoStanford; 02-11-2015 at 02:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    Check out the new blog post with a beautiful quote about everyday objects by Yanagi Soetsu
    It is a beautiful quote and I've sent it to my husband because it would speak to him (he may roll his eyes when he sees that it's in a TB blog post, but he will appreciate it nonetheless). And I'm not surprised to read that Yanagi Soetsu worked with Hamada Shoji who is one of the potters my husband reveres for both his work and his philosophy (another is Warren MacKenzie - this is not a coincidence). I believe he will be getting a copy of The Unknown Craftsman for a gift in the near future.
    Last edited by binje; 02-11-2015 at 08:01 AM.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    I'm glad you guys appreciate Dan's artwork and the quote. And your posts helped to inspire an idea: see here.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    Dan is full of great drawings! The latest one, which I just saw tonight, is perfect - I leave for Hawaii on Saturday and am thrilled to be getting a real vacation. This is the multigenerational trip which I mentioned a few months ago. We will be on the Big Island and I am getting the TB bags ready....

I think this Bookshelf blog-post is such a great source for something to read. For many years I always red in on or two genres, did not even like to get books a presents because they seldom where from that genes. But for about 5 years now I really appriciate to get reading-inspirations that set me on tracks I would never have walked on my own. This started with a family meeting where an aunt of mine asked, if we wanted to read all the same book beforehand and than talk about it when we meet. It was not only fun but felt like a broadening of my horizon.

I have already read two books mentioned in the thread where this blog-post origned What books are currently on your nightstand?
    1. The Now Habit pointed out by PaulT00
    2. Elenor and Park pointed out by brendabethman after Aeon had pointed out Rainbow Rowell as a great author.

Right now I am back to Foto-books but I am looking very much forward to look through all of your nightstands to find something new to read. Thanks for jet another great Blog Post to all that took part in this one.

Ilkyway

PS: did not participate because on my actual night stand there are 85% German books. ;-)

Shame on me! I had glanced at the blog some days ago and saw: Page Not Found - FIELD TRIPS by TOM BIHNFIELD TRIPS by TOM BIHN but instead of friction (a word that I did not know and had to look up) I had red fiction a word I know well. And as there is a book in picture (I know now it is a Notebook but did not realise it at fist glance) I thought this post was about good fiction books. I love books but my reading-list is stuffed and there are all these nightstands of yours to look at... long story short: I had not read this post until now.

Well it is a fantastic post and it actually mentions the note-taking-help that I was talking about in the Journaling thread, where you use a dash for every info/task and re-shape it as the tasks get done etc. I am glad to see, that there is linked the same page as I thought to be be the source for this idea since I could not find the original page anymore where I had found it some 6 years ago.
    Doug Lane puts in very comprehensive words what makes pen and paper supirior to computers etc without forgetting where the computer has the upper hand.

Why am I babbling on about this? Well I think there is much good advice in the article and I had nearly overlooked it. As I do not think any native English would make the same mistakes as I had, I still wanted to share my thanks to Doug Lane for sharing his thoughts.

Whenever I am in paper based-mode I tent after a while to dread to have to take that notebook/journal/binder whatever everywhere so I would be able to jot things down as they come into my mind. Now I have two thoughts to dwell on:
    a. find a better way to merge paper and electronic
    b. remember that it is worth while to have that bit of extra struggle to use paper. It pays of.

Ilkyway

@ Jeff A I have to tell you that I love this quote of your interview: "As far as balance goes, it all comes down to a simple concept for me: passion. Everything that I’ve mentioned above I have a deep passion for so whatever needs focus at any given time gets elevated to my number one thing to work on or help out with. Be it running kids around for their activities, designing a new logo or planning a getaway weekend, passion creates my focus which I find is very instrumental to how I structure my life."

Ilkyway

For thous who want to read the hole thing for themselves: Page Not Found - FIELD TRIPS by TOM BIHNFIELD TRIPS by TOM BIHN

Volunteer Moderator
    Hi All,

Just had to draw everyone's attention to the extremely cute pictures of kittens up on today's blog post on the subject of Kitten Lessons. (And why didn't my Swift come with a kitten inside?)

moriond

They are sooooo cute!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast