Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Smile 3D Clear Organizing Cube as portable picnic kit (because you never know...)

I always want to be ready for a picnic, so I have outfitted a clear organizing cube.

Here's the exploded view along with a list of contents:

cutting board (cut down from one of those flexible cutting boards)
    swiss army knife with serrated (for bread) and plain blade-- omitted for air travel
    wine opener
    wine recorker- just in case that bottle doesn't get finished. Hey, it /could/ happen.
    toothpicks in case
    small container with salt, pepper and italian seasoning
    disposable hand wipe
    plastic utensils, bandana packed in Planetwise snack size bag
    planet wise sandwich wrap- this makes a nice surface to spread out fruit, cheese and bread
    Last edited by moriond; 04-10-2015 at 10:21 AM. Reason: embedded uploaded images from later post
    So far: Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, SE's in black/iberian, coyote/steel and steel parapack, SSB in black dyneema, Steel dyneema/steel Pilot, Vintage Buzz in black, PCSB and numerous pouches, 3D cubes, straps.

I'm thinking you could also squeeze in a pocket picnic blanket ;)

And I am sooo going to steal this idea ;)
    Last edited by ceepee; 04-10-2015 at 06:55 AM.

It's so funny you mention this Ceepee, I just ordered one of those picnic blankets /yesterday/! <insert Twilight Zone music>
    So far: Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, SE's in black/iberian, coyote/steel and steel parapack, SSB in black dyneema, Steel dyneema/steel Pilot, Vintage Buzz in black, PCSB and numerous pouches, 3D cubes, straps.

I have the larger size which I had to import from the US. Your post reminded me that I wanted the mini size as well, and I managed to find a stockist in the UK - BONUS!!! :)

I love this idea! I have a similar setup in a CQPC, but now I want to downsize it to a 3DC! I have never seen the pocket blankets before--brilliant! In my set up I currently have a couple of sea to summit collapsable bowls (which have a bottom that works as a cutting board), a couple of collapsable sea to summit cups, a Light my Fire seasoning holder, corkscrew, pocket knife, reusable napkins, and bamboo utensils in the little kid size.

I am in awe of your matching abilities--I am afraid that you have set a high bar indeed!

Edit to Add: I just purchased two of those blankets--thank you so much for the idea! I really want to compose a post where I list all of the amazing products that this forum has introduced me to over the short time that I have been reading it. It is so wonderful to have a place of like-minded people in so many unpredictable ways!
    Last edited by LittleEmmaRowena; 04-10-2015 at 08:56 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
    Are the pictures coming through for you? They looked fine in the preview, but I'm not seeing them in line in my post now.
    @sturbridge Best guess is that the old attachments were valid for a while (you have 1 hour to make editing changes, where they remain valid as temporary links, and then they expire and disappear, but are clickable until they actually go away). I can edit your original post so that the pictures appear in the correct places, and then moderate the second post with images so that it doesn't appear. But people would have to go back and "like" your first post, if they didn't already do so. I don't think I can delete your second post without having the picture attachments disappear permanently though, because I think they're tied to the post I which you uploaded them, although I've never gotten an answer a about this from our forum support person. I just add a note to the post with pictures before I moderate it so other mods don't go through and hard delete it. Want me to edit your first post so that the uploaded pics appear there?

moriond

Forum Member
    Hm, I can't see the photos and so wish I could because this seems like such a great idea!! Also @ceepee, thank you for the pocket blanket link, I'm definitely going to get one of those for the summer!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaireJ View Post
    Hm, I can't see the photos and so wish I could because this seems like such a great idea!! Also @ceepee, thank you for the pocket blanket link, I'm definitely going to get one of those for the summer!
    I think they will show up if you refresh your browser or app, but just in case, I've unmoderated the post with just the images. On a longer term basis (when not dealing with short term browser or app refreshes), that post will be hidden again, and all the pictures will show up in the original post, so please like that post - not the one with just images.

HTH
    moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 04-10-2015 at 11:04 AM.

Me too, I like that idea and thanks for the link to the blanket.
    I see some picnics in my future. :-)

Forum Member
    I can see them now - thank you! Great set up, @sturbridge!

Forum Member
    I have a similar set up but made of assorted old camping gear.
    This post inspired me to get nice picnic stuff, since I eat lunch outside more often than I camp these days.
    I got the Matador blanket, Victorinox Nomad picnic knife, some sandwich wraps and a new bandanna for color coordination. I am going to try to fit it into a 3DC but may have to get a CQPC.

Neat! Do you guys with picnic kits have these impromptu picnics often? (My version of picnics is eating sushi in the car, don't think that counts...)

I love that picnic blanket! I bought a tent footprint on sale and use that as a picnic blanket. I like that the tent footprint has loops in the corners for stakes, which keep it flat on windy days. I found some super light short titanium stakes for it. it all fits in a small bag about the size of a size 2 travel stuff sack.
    Donít make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, donít hesitate to make it beautiful. ó Shaker Philosophy

Quote Originally Posted by ceepee View Post
    I'm thinking you could also squeeze in a pocket picnic blanket ;)

And I am sooo going to steal this idea ;)
    @ceepee, are you really able to fold that blanket up to fit back in that tiny pouch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Exhaust the little moment.
    Soon it dies.
    And be it gash or gold it will not come
    Again in this identical disguise."
    -Gwendolyn Brooks

3D Clear Organizing Cube as portable picnic kit (because you never know...)

Yes, it has lines on it to show you how to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ceepee; 04-11-2015 at 05:10 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast