Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Small Cafe Bag in Azure

Just received my small cafe bag. At the last minute, I changed the color from grey to azure, intrigued by photos others had posted.

Let me just say, it is VERY bright. Not the teal I had imagined. I honestly can't decide if I like it or not. It might be too vivid for me. The sad truth is that I am much more of a grey person. I keep opening the box and peeking at it, and it shines out at me with the radiance of a thousand sunlit blue seas. Overwhelmed, I close the box.

This photo doesn't quite capture it.

Small Cafe Bag in Azure-fullsizerender-1-jpg

Dial up the photo above by a factor of 10 and you'll have the right shade.

On the other hand, I was excited to discover that the cafe bags seem to be lined with parapack. I had two medium cafe bags a long time ago, which I have since sold because the colors weren't quite right for me, and I thought they were cordura on the inside. The parapack is much nicer surface.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 04-20-2015 at 06:30 PM.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

I've ordered the LCB in azure. I love bright. But I just don't like BO. I sent back today a DLBP and SE in BO. But I AM getting a SCB in orange 152. I'd bought a 3D OC in orange 152 and like it (even though it's orange). The azure looks very pretty to me. Try something new? Imagine it with black clothing, or its beauty with summer white?

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Just received my small cafe bag. At the last minute, I changed the color from grey to azure, intrigued by photos others had posted.

Let me just say, it is VERY bright. Not the teal I had imagined. I honestly can't decide if I like it or not. It might be too vivid for me. The sad truth is that I am much more of a grey person. I keep opening the box and peeking at it, and it shines out at me with the radiance of a thousand sunlit blue seas. Overwhelmed, I close the box.

This photo doesn't quite capture it.

Small Cafe Bag in Azure-fullsizerender-1-jpg

Dial up the photo above by a factor of 10 and you'll have the right shade.

On the other hand, I was excited to discover that the cafe bags seem to be lined with parapack. I had two medium cafe bags a long time ago, which I have since sold because the colors weren't quite right for me, and I thought they were cordura on the inside. The parapack is much nicer surface.
    I think Azure is gorgeous, but not sure I could do it in a messenger style bag because it seems hard for me to not have it clash against my clothes. Maybe I'm a grey girl like you in that respect. :) Or just like something more neutral sitting against the front of my body. Maybe I'd be okay with it though if I had as many as @brendabethman as she can always color coordinate!

That said, I'd definitely dig it in a pouch or a shoulder bag like a Swift or backpack like the DLBP. Guess I wouldn't mind a bright color on my side or my back. Strange...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Exhaust the little moment.
    Soon it dies.
    And be it gash or gold it will not come
    Again in this identical disguise."
    -Gwendolyn Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    I think Azure is gorgeous, but not sure I could do it in a messenger style bag because it seems hard for me to not have it clash against my clothes. Maybe I'm a grey girl like you in that respect. :) Or just like something more neutral sitting against the front of my body. Maybe I'd be okay with it though if I had as many as @brendabethman as she can always color coordinate!

That said, I'd definitely dig it in a pouch or a shoulder bag like a Swift or backpack like the DLBP. Guess I wouldn't mind a bright color on my side or my back. Strange...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Color coordinating is precisely the point of having so many! And now I am wanting the azure, but Hannah tells me they are gone until the summer :-(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Im with @marrytatoo.
    Thought I have yet own Azure and BO. So far, I'd only have Canary SCB - the brightest in my collection. I love it and bright color.

I don't use it for work, only for leisure so a bright color for a Guy is still somewhat acceptable.

I am ordering soon but couldn't decide whether to get an another SCB or my first MCB. Also, couldn't decide on either Kelly and very recently Azure.
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB, TT, YSS/Tall, OP/S, PP Navy
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, FBPW, MCB, OP/L
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCB, SC, DOP/M, COP/M

BrainCell Size1 M4600, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Quote Originally Posted by brendabethman View Post
    Color coordinating is precisely the point of having so many! And now I am wanting the azure, but Hannah tells me they are gone until the summer :-(

Not in Large!

Quote Originally Posted by weirdguy View Post
    Im with @marrytatoo.
    Thought I have yet own Azure and BO. So far, I'd only have Canary SCB - the brightest in my collection. I love it and bright color.

I don't use it for work, only for leisure so a bright color for a Guy is still somewhat acceptable.

I am ordering soon but couldn't decide whether to get an another SCB or my first MCB. Also, couldn't decide on either Kelly and very recently Azure.
    I have a MCB in Kelly. Bright and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by marytattoo View Post
    Not in Large!
    I know, but large is too big for me. I have tried all the cafe bags, but always come back to my beloved small. It's okay, I can be patient.

I figure I can get a SE or SCB into the large, with other things, including a small knitting project and when I get it, the FJ.

Forum Member
    I keep opening the box and peeking at it, and it shines out at me with the radiance of a thousand sunlit blue seas. Overwhelmed, I close the box.
    Your description is vivid and priceless - thank you for that! I experienced the same phenomenon when I saw it in person. It is so lovely in the photographs, especially when paired with grey and snow (thank you Ilkyway) that it is nearly irresistible. And it is impossible to ignore its vibrance in person, which is wonderful, unless one prefers to be more incognito. I am drawn to wearing more subdued tones, but I admire those who can wield such bold colors, since they look fantastic on those who carry them with confidence.
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 04-21-2015 at 12:54 AM.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

I know, but large is too big for me. I have tried all the cafe bags, but always come back to my beloved small. It's okay, I can be patient.

It's worth it, it is :) I have half a mind to get a LCB in either Azure or Orange 152, but the fact is that unlike the SCB or LS, I don't use the LCB often enough to have more than 2 (including the Black Bag version which I'm really liking). I'll go think about it some more.

Sorry that it's not working for you, @bchaplin-- Azure is a well-loved colour, but it is not a nondescript one. I'd be interested (as are the rest, I'm sure) to hear what you decide to do with it.
    Last edited by adalangdon; 04-21-2015 at 01:52 AM.

Yeah, I really don't know. I actually like the color as depicted in my photo. There is something in the real thing (maybe it's called 'tone'?) that is just too much for me. I actually wear a lot of colors, as opposed to black and greys, and unfortunately I think this would clash most days. If I was wearing all black, it would look good...
    Last edited by bchaplin; 04-21-2015 at 04:56 AM.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Yeah, I really don't know. I actually like the color as depicted in my photo. There is something in the real thing (maybe it's called 'tone'?) that is just too much for me. I actually wear a lot of colors, as opposed to black and greys, and unfortunately I think this would clash most days. If I was wearing all black, it would look good...
    It would look amazing with all black. I am also currently working on a shawl that would go perfectly with it.

but Hannah tells me they are gone until the summer :-(

Well that's unfortunate news. I was considering a change up from a plum SCB to azure. I like it a lot... I have a COW in azure. *What I would really really like is an AZALEA bag of some sort! Hello TB mothership...... are you listening? And new dyneema colors too.*

Quote Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
    Well that's unfortunate news. I was considering a change up from a plum SCB to azure. I like it a lot... I have a COW in azure. *What I would really really like is an AZALEA bag of some sort! Hello TB mothership...... are you listening? And new dyneema colors too.*
    It is unfortunate! A friend tried to buy one last week and it disappeared from her cart before she could pay for it. So I emailed to see if there were any hanging around and Hannah said no, but they would probably be back in stock come June or so.

And an azalea DLBC would be amazing!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast