Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Small Cafe Bag - two month checkup

Itís been a few months since I switched from the Co-Pilot to a small Cafť Bag and I remain very pleased with how the Cafť Bag runs day to day. I had to rearrange the loadout a little but with TB thereís always an organizational solution to be found.

Cafe 25
    by Nate E, on Flickr

Hereís the everyday roster, minus a water bottle.

Cafe 26
    by Nate E, on Flickr

The pen slots are something I tended to make little use of on whatever bag I carried but with the smaller size of the Cafe Bag it became necessary to utilize that space. The mechanical pencil, flashlight and jackknife all fit nicely are easy to access when needed. These are redundant items to backup primary carry pieces but itís handy that they can live in the bag comfortably.

Cafe 27
    by Nate E, on Flickr

Most of the other ďjust in caseĒ items were carried in a small organizer pouch but that was taking up more room than I preferred in the main compartment of the bag. So I squeezed most of it into a mini organizer.

Cafe 29
    by Nate E, on Flickr

Thereís a whistle, chapstick, pill case, lighter, length of cord and a small Ziploc with basic first aid items in there. Itís not as quick to access a given item out of the mini pouch but the tradeoff is that the mini will fit in the pocket on the front wall of the main compartment, keeping it out of the way of everything else.

Cafe 30
    by Nate E, on Flickr

Hereís everything in the main compartment.

Cafe 31
    by Nate E, on Flickr

The front zip pocket still carries a key strap and small Leatherman. Thereís a decent amount of space left if I donít have my house/car keys in there. Iíve been thinking about keeping a small Rhodia pad here as well if I can ever find a nice but not too bulky cover for the #13 size.

Cafe 32
    by Nate E, on Flickr

Cafe 33
    by Nate E, on Flickr

The back slash pocket carries a Buff and retaining strap for outside water bottle carry.

Cafe 34
    by Nate E, on Flickr

And I swapped out the cord on the zipper pull from orange to TBís own ultraviolet. I donít know that Iíd ever take a whole bag or large pouch in this color but for accent in a smaller dose itís great.

Cafe 35
    by Nate E, on Flickr

One thing I have a bit of frustration with is the shoulder strap. The included pad isnít comfortable to me unless itís over a layer like a sweatshirt or jacket so I removed it and got an ultrasuede wrap to try instead. While the ultrasuede is comfortable and does a nice job of preventing any slip on your shoulder I find it too bulky and decided to go with just the plain strap and no pad for now. The webbing is soft enough not to irritate and unless I decided to tote around some lead ingots the small Cafť Bag is never heavy enough to require shoulder padding for me. My wish would be for a thin pad that focuses on the non-slip function to keep the bag where I want it when Iím walking. Maybe something like a smaller, thinner, squared off version of the pad that comes on the Co-Pilot strap.

can I ask where you carry your money? Or is that a too private question? I just miss a wallet here.
    I am very VERY impressed. If I have a go at a small Cafe Bag I very fast wish for that Marry Poppins magic. But you seem to have all the importand stuff in there with room to spare 8-)

Ilkyway
    ďAnkh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.Ē

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

I always keep cash and cards on my person unless there was a circumstance where that wasn't possible or practical.

Forum Member
    Hi jujigatame, nice review and EDC loadout. I'm curious about your triangular snaphook assembly. I saw the individual elements and how they fit in your flickr stream, but I would love to know where you got the parts. Also, if you have a source for 1"-wide shoulder straps with snaphooks at both ends, I'd be super grateful ( I think I saw some of your bags on flickr had some attached).

Forum Member
    Nice post! Can I ask - I have the same Leatherman Juice (same color, too) - how do you clean sticky goo off the blades? I use mine to open up sticky tape on parcels, and I was thinking of trying some Goo Gone, but I don't want to dull the blades.

Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    Nice post! Can I ask - I have the same Leatherman Juice (same color, too) - how do you clean sticky goo off the blades? I use mine to open up sticky tape on parcels, and I was thinking of trying some Goo Gone, but I don't want to dull the blades.
    I tend to use my fingers to get most of the snail trail off my blade and then alcohol or dish soap with a softish cloth. Something like Goo Gone would also work and shouldn't dull the blade. If you're worried you can strop the blade on a leather belt or the bottom rim of a ceramic coffee cup after cleaning. I tend to strop or sharpen my blades regularly as they get constant use and keeping them sharp keeps me safe.