Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Ristretto 'v' Co-Pilot pictures

Does anybody have any pictures of a Ristretto and Co-Pilot (in ballistic) side by side ?
    Just wondering which would be best for my 'personal item' ...

I have ristretto and pilot ballistic but not the co-pilot. If this is of any help please let me know.
    A vote for "Portable Culture"
    Aeronaut 45 ([Black/Steel), Aeronaut 30 (Navy/Iberian), Western Flyer (Navy/UV), Pilot (Navy/Solar), Synapse 25 (Grey/UV), Ristretto (Navy/UV), Medium Cafe Bag (Grey/Olive), Daylight Backpack (Burnt Orange), Daylight Briefcase (Grey) PLUS more 'bits' than you can shake a stick at!

Volunteer Moderator
    Sure! Let me know if you'd like to see more pictures...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -m

Thanks Maverick !
    Much appreciated ...

Wow - the Ristretto (9 litres capacity) looks HUGE compared to the Co-Pilot (10 litres capacity).

I just need something for leisure travel to keep at my feet during flights rather than jumping up and down to the overhead bins and going in & out of my Night Flight. Would contain passports, tickets, iPad, magazines, etc. As you have both bags, any thoughts on this ?

I also have both bags.

Functionally, I think the Co-Pilot has better compartmentalization - waterbottle pocket, roller luggage passthrough, 2 separate small compartments and 2 pockets in the main compartment. It is also, ever so slightly, more volume than the Ristretto 13 and is easier to pack things as the vertical orientation of the Ristretto may have you reaching down for things. It is easier to get at things in the Co-Pilot. However, I do not use it as much for 3 reasons:

1) padding for laptop compartment where it is easy to take your laptop in and out
    2) Style - I prefer both the vertical style which makes it easier to move around in crowded areas and the messenger bag look
    3) It is a "real" messenger bag IMHO - ie. can add a stabilizer strap - so can make it very secure if riding a bike, hiking, etc

As a result I would tend to take my Ristretto 13 even though it would probably be easier to use a co-pilot for the under airline seat scenario. However, I also use it as a conference bag and for hiking / sightseeing where I found it was either the same or better than the Co-Pilot IMHO for the way I like it.

So, for me, the head says Co-Pilot ... the heart says Ristretto 13 ... and for some reason, even though I am an engineer by training, I perfer my Ristretto 13 (love the bright linings). One other thing - if you are contemplating a Co-Pilot, why not just go with a Pilot as it has more room for things (emergency clothes, laptop, etc)?

I took my Ristretto on my last trip as my personal item and this is what I carried in it:

Ristretto 'v' Co-Pilot pictures-ristretto13_lvtrip-2-jpgRistretto 'v' Co-Pilot pictures-ristretto13_lvtrip-jpg

In the Ristretto13 is:

TB Side Effect with snacks, electronics accessories, etc
    TB Luggage Tag in Verdi Ballistic
    TB Micro Organizer Pouch in Navy Parapack containing bluetooth earpiece
    TB Mini Organizer Pouch in Nordic Dyneema containg Earphones, iPod and small medical stuff (for headaches, etc)
    Timbuk2 small clear case for toiletries
    Ziplock bag with spare clothes (in case I lost my other carry-on for some reason)
    Spare glasses in Versace case
    Soundmatters foxl Dash 7 bluetooth speaker
    Lowpro compact zoom camera case
    In the front pockets - Passport, Solar recharger, Gum, Pen, Flashlight
    Laptop in padded section (not shown)

I could also fit a water bottle in there. BTW - on the Ristretto style - I love that a small bit of interior color shows even then the bag is closed - just cool IMHO!

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 10-22-2015 at 08:55 AM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Volunteer Moderator
    Dear UK-Limey,

The Ristretto is designed to hold devices as large as a 13" MacBook Pro, whereas the Co-Pilot is designed to hold an iPad (though larger devices will fit). The Co-Pilot has greater depth, and hence a larger capacity.

The Ristretto was previously available sized for the iPad and 11" MacBook Air, but is now only offered in one size.

Both bags will accommodate the items you've described. I would opt for the Co-Pilot for a couple of reasons --
    * I prefer a bag with zippers for travel. They are harder to get into than a Warrior Buckle.
    * I like having a water bottle pocket in a travel bag.
    * Both bags have a grab handle up top, but I think the Co-Pilot would feel more natural being carried by the handle if you so opted to.
    -m

I found some picture of me wearing the Co-Pilot and the Ristretto to help with your comparison:

Co-Pilot (ignore the shoulder strap setup - I was retrofitting a QAM strap)

Ristretto 13

Ristretto 'v' Co-Pilot pictures-ristretto13_wearhing-jpg

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 10-22-2015 at 07:43 AM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Thank you both !
    Food for thought ...

I have a Co-Pilot, Medium Cafe Bag, and old iPad Ristretto. The MCB has become my most used of the three and I had thought about selling the Co-Pilot, but am hanging on to it specifically to be my personal item on an upcoming trip.

For me, it works perfectly in that role. It sits upright on the floor and because it is shallower vertically, but thicker, more things are in reach. Plus the water bottle pocket is handy as well as they other compartments.

However, I agree with other comments that the Ristretto is a more appropriate looking bag for general carry. When I was carrying the Co-pilot everyday I had people asking if it was a camera bag or just asking "What's in that?"

Jonathan

Forum Member
    For airline travel (or train travel for that matter) you need to consider if you are going to carry reading material. The co-pilot won't easily fit a US magazine and you can forget any DIN sized magazine.

Not an easy decision
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Yes, the Co-Pilot and Pilots I carry most of the time have been compared to "luggage" by my coworkers. But I can't get over how functionally great they are, particularly the Co-Pilot. The water bottle pocket is indispensable for holding a folded-up shop bag or an umbrella -- or a canteen. I can maneuver through a crowd by grabbing onto the top handle, which is really important at times when I'd otherwise be bumping into people. And it is easy to pull things in and out of the bag one-handed. For a flight either bag is a great choice, IMO, because it always fits on the floor in front of you and it zips up to prevent anything from falling out, even if it is jostled.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 10-23-2015 at 07:29 AM.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!