Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member

Moving from a Synapse 25 & Rollaboard/Duffel to Pilot & Aeronaut 45?

Hello experienced Bihn'ers! Apologies in advance for the long post. I'm hoping you can help with my dilemma. I travel every week for work and currently carry a Synapse 25 (see packing list below) with a carry-on rollaboard. On CRJ flights I use a large shoulder-duffel from Property of... rather than a rollaboard...I despise gate-checking.

Both bags (the roller and the duffel, not the Synapse!) are starting to break down which leads me to consider changing up how I travel / carry. Also, carrying the duffel on top of the synapse shoulder straps is annoying...the duffel hits my thigh with every step so that I usually end up carrying it in front.

Here are my questions:
    • Will the Pilot fit all the items I currently carry in the Synapse?
    • Will my laptop fit in the Pilot?
    • Is it comfortable to carry the Pilot using either the standard / Absolute strap while also carrying the A45 in the "backpack" mode?
    • How comfortable (or not) is the A45 fully loaded?
    • Does the A45 fit in a CRJ? I found plenty of videos / forum posts about this but none mentioned whether they were speaking of the A30 or A45!
    • Thinking of the Dyneema for the outside fabric but will I miss the sturdiness?

Synapse 25
    Main Back Compartment
    Dell Latitude E6430 Laptop: Width: 13.86 Height: (front/back) 1.05 to 1.27 Depth: 9.49”
    Synapse Cache on Rails
    (Occasional) Macbook Pro (13”) in neoprene sleeve
    Clear Organizer Pouch (large) with clipboard
    Clear Quarter Packing Cube (tea, medication, snacks, lozenges, etc)
    Small zippered makeup bag (powder, lip balm, lotion, tissues, hand sanitizer, etc)
    Journal (small-ish, 4 x 6?)
    Colored Pencil tin (flat)
    Collapses Travel Tray

Side Compartment #1
    iPhone 5S
    Sunglasses (large hard case)

Side Compartment #2
    Safety Glasses (large, no case)
    Notebook (3.5 x 5”)
    Pens (2)

Top Center Front Pocket
    Keys (home, car, rental car)
    Water bottle

Small Front Pocket
    Clear Organizer Wallet

Bottom Front Pocket
    Snake Charmer: Laptop Power Converter, Flash Drive case, Cell phone charger, Verizon 4G internet + charger, earbuds (2), USB mouse…snake charmer isn’t close to stuffed full!

Rollaboard
    Not really concerned...I'm sure the A45 will be sufficient.
    Just worried it won't fit easily into overhead of commuter jets.

Forum Member
    I have the Steel version of the 45. It will fit in commuter jets with no problem. In the bins or under the seat. I do not have the pilot so I can't answer your questions on that. The 45 will come to your hip as well with an absolute strap. Some people carry both bags from their shoulders on each side. So you may want to give that a try as well. I think it would be uncomfortable to carry in backpack mode , and shoulder carry the pilot. You may want to carry it by the hand straps. Hope this helps.

Forum Member
    Carrying a cross body TB bag with a TB backpack is not uncomfortable, I did it with a LCB and a Brain Bag for all domestic U.S travel for a very long time, almost 10 years.

My EDC since 2012 has been a SCB and a Synapse 19.

Place the Cafe Bag, Pilot, Co-Pilot, Daylight Briefcase strap on the desired shoulder, slip the TB Backpack on the opposite shoulder, tighten the strap, slip the TB Backpack strap, slightly loosened, on top of the TB shoulder bag strap, then tighten the backpack strap back up.

I have carried a DLBC (messenger and shoulder style, or in my hands) and A30 on my back several times. I have had no issues with it. It might depend on how big/strong you are. I'm only 5'1", with a bum shoulder. I think if you're used to carrying large duffle with a backpack, you'll be fine with the A45 and Pilot.
    The question about dynamo vs ballistic is a good one. I have A30s in both. The ballistic is very easy to pack because it retains the shape very well. With the dyneema, I have to get a packing cube into the main compartment before it loses its floppiness and is easier to pack. The dyneema is also more flexible, allowing you to fit just a bit more into it. I am a self-proclaimed Dyneema lover, but I will say that I think the Ballistic Nylon is a more aesthetically beautiful fabric. I like that the Dyneema is lighter and when I saw it paired with Island, I went for it (my other A30 is lined with Wasabi, which I really do not like at all so I gave it to my partner). I find Dyneema a little more slippery, but I'm used to that now.

Forum Member
    I think you would have a challenge getting everything from the synapse 25 into the pilot. The second laptop would likely be problematic - either would fit alone. A second one with a clipboard would be hard - although you micah be able to squeeze them all in but the pouches in the main compartment would not be able to hold much. Pretty much everything else could be put in the two other compartments - the water bottle would of course go in the middle compartment designed for it - although sunglasses in a large hard case, again might be a challenge. Remember the synapse 25 is almost twice as large (in terms of volume) as the pilot. If you are able to get everything in the pilot, accessing things easily might prove difficult although it would be do-able. I have recently transitioned from an S19 to the pilot and that has worked but I do not carry quite as much when traveling.

Forum Member
    You guys/gals have been super awesome. I think all my questions have been addressed in a single day. Any other opinions are welcome, too!

Quote Originally Posted by travelman View Post
    I have the Steel version of the 45. It will fit in commuter jets with no problem. In the bins or under the seat.
    It's crazy to imagine the A45 under a seat. Thanks for the confirmation that it will fit into the commuter jets...that was a main concern of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Carrying a cross body TB bag with a TB backpack is not uncomfortable, I did it with a LCB and a Brain Bag for all domestic U.S travel
    Excellent, thanks backpack! The specific instructions on the setup really help me visualize it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    . I like that the Dyneema is lighter and when I saw it paired with Island, I went for it (my other A30 is lined with Wasabi, which I really do not like at all so I gave it to my partner).
    I know what you mean about Wasabi; that's what's in my S25. It's okay but I wouldn't choose it again. Can you tell me what is Island? I looked all over the color swatch chart and didn't see it. Thanks for the tip on the packing cube...I was debating whether to get one and now I think I definitely will get at least one. I'm drawn to the Dyneema; especially on the Pilot. The Cordura on the Pilot seems a little...stodgy...unsexy...not that I'm looking for sexy...maybe I'm over-thinking things.

Since this is primarily for work the Dyneema strikes me as just professional enough to cut it in a business casual environment. Do you think so as well? I've never seen a full Dyneema item "in the flesh."

I'm 5'8" with a mostly intact shoulder so I think it should be okay then.

Quote Originally Posted by rabergnc View Post
    I think you would have a challenge getting everything from the synapse 25 into the pilot.
    Thanks, rabergnc. You've actually allayed my fears somewhat knowing you've transitioned from the S19 to the Pilot. While I do sometimes pack the S25 full, it is more usual that I feel like there is lots of open unused space in the main compartment of the S25. The two laptop-thing doesn't happen often and, if it doesn't work in the Pilot, i can always transition back to the S25 for a minute. It also wouldn't kill me to pack a little lighter, though I find comfort on the road by having everything I could possibly want.
    Last edited by lenalvsTB; 11-17-2015 at 10:02 PM.

Island is a limited edition turquoise Dyneema. It came out last summer in shop bags, stuff sacks, travel trays and linings in the A30 and A45. They also brought in Zest (happy tangerine color) and Northwest Sky (a pale pale grey). On Nov 30 (10 am Seattle time) they will make a comeback in linings for both Aeronauts and some accessories. Once they are gone, they are gone. You can still see the Zest and NWS Dyneema lining available. Here is my Island shop bag (not sure why I don't have a picture of my Dyneema A30, but there are others on the site). There is at least a little black Dyneema peaking out of the shop bag.

I'm a die hard packing cube person. I only have one A30 cube (large), which I like, but also really love the Eagle Creek Specter line.
    While it is definitely a preference for me to carry the heaviest bag on my back, there are many folks who hand carry the Aeronauts with a Synapse on their backs. I can't do that with my A30 because my hands are too small for the straps, but I can easily do it with my Western Flyer.
    I do think Dyneema could pass in a business casual workplace. I'm with you on the Dyneema pilot vs the ballistic nylon. The latter looks a little too boxy for my taste. But, the Navy/UV has been calling my name lately so I might be softening a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Exhaust the little moment.
    Soon it dies.
    And be it gash or gold it will not come
    Again in this identical disguise."
    -Gwendolyn Brooks

I have to say that the Black Dyneema is a perfectly acceptable color/fabric for business casual settings. I would probably work even a step up from business casual but may be a stretch at ultra formal business settings. I love mine and wouldn't go with any other exterior fabric.

I'm a Dyneema whore and I won't apologize for it.

Forum Member
    Island is a limited edition turquoise Dyneema. It came out last summer in shop bags, stuff sacks, travel trays and linings in the A30 and A45. They also brought in Zest (happy tangerine color) and Northwest Sky (a pale pale grey). On Nov 30 (10 am Seattle time) they will make a comeback in linings for both Aeronauts and some accessories. Once they are gone, they are gone. You can still see the Zest and NWS Dyneema lining available.
    Where can I see the Zest? I need some happy tangerine in my life right now!! I've seen references to this Nov 30th date but yours is the first to provide the time. I will be refreshing my browser starting at 9:58 so I can get what I want (I hope).

I'm a die hard packing cube person. I only have one A30 cube (large), which I like, but also really love the Eagle Creek Specter line.
    Can you tell me what you like about the Eagle Creek Specter's as compared to the TB packing cubes?

And thanks for the carrying ideas. I just (as in five minutes ago) used backpack's suggestions for carrying backpack (S25) and duffel (nonTB) through ORD and found that, while it was a more comfortable carry, it was harder to get into the S25. I'm already envisioning how nice it will be to carry the Pilot cross-body with the A45 on my back.

Quote Originally Posted by Muni_Jedi View Post
    I have to say that the Black Dyneema is a perfectly acceptable color/fabric for business casual settings. I would probably work even a step up from business casual but may be a stretch at ultra formal business settings. I love mine and wouldn't go with any other exterior fabric.

I'm a Dyneema whore and I won't apologize for it.
    That's awesome, Muni_Jedi. Luckily my job doesn't go as far as "ultra formal" so I'm poised to join you in your obsession! Just holding out for something besides Wasabi insides.

Forum Member
    Hooray! Order just arrived. I've only had time to check that my laptop (no sleeve) fits into the Pilot...which it does! The cache is, as expected, much too big but (thanks to someone's youtube video on the A45) it fits perfectly in the backpack strap compartment for the times I might want to move my laptop to the A45

A45 dyneema/island is BEAUTIFUL!

Now, once my sleeve from Courierware gets here Monday, I'll be putting it all together...hope it gets here before I leave for Madison!

Thanks again to all the forum folks and the TB Customer Service...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One last question: should I stick with updating this thread with picutures / reviews or should I start a new one (I'm relatively new to the forums and just wondering what's the proper protocol)?

Congrats!! I've been looking at the A45 Dyneema/Island combination. Can you take a few pics of the interior? Only one pic is available on the A45 page. I would love to see that Island goodness Thanks!
    Family, Guitar, Design, Travel....get after it!

Forum Member
    Here it is! Sorry it's a little dark. Let me know if you'd like a different orientation.

Moving from a Synapse 25 & Rollaboard/Duffel to Pilot & Aeronaut 45?-a45-jpg

I'm sitting at my desk wearing my SE...what a nerd!

Volunteer Moderator
    @Jeff A, If you want to look at Black Dyneeema/Island Aeronaut photos, try @Bijouxandbeads' post at the end of the It's June. It's quiet. Just sayin' thread. Those are actually of the Aeronaut 30, but there's a whole sequence of images, including a followup post showing matching color paracord zipper pulls. I'll just include one picture as a sampler:

@lenalvstb, You'd be better off starting a new thread with pictures and review comments about your new Aeronaut under the Photos, Videos, and Reviews forum. @Bijouxandbeads posted to the thread that people started to ask for hints, clues, and speculations about what would show up in the June 2015 product debuts (that included the limited edition Dyneema items), and it's clear that a number of forum users who are interested in this topic lost track of the fact that there are all these nice Aeronaut Black Dyneema/Island pictures in that thread and post.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Thanks @moriond. Since you seem to have a very extensive internal database of all things TB can you tell me if there was ever a Pilot as Black Dyneema / Island?

Quote Originally Posted by lenalvsTB View Post
    Thanks @moriond. Since you seem to have a very extensive internal database of all things TB can you tell me if there was ever a Pilot as Black Dyneema / Island?
    Am not moriond, but here's the blog post where the Summer Colors including Island were introduced. The Pilot was not listed as one of the bags to be made with the limited-edition colors:

All three new colors are available in the following bags:
    Aeronaut 45
    Aeronaut 30
    Travel Stuff Sack
    Travel Tray
    RFID Blocking Passport Pouch
    Shop Bags

And the production list for this last round:

The last of the Zest, Island, and Northwest Sky are available in the following bags:
    Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (!!!)
    Aeronaut 45
    Aeronaut 30
    Travel Tray
    Shop Bags
    Hope that helps!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast