Pre-buy questions about the aeronaut bag...
I have an upcoming international trip to China and have been doing a ton of research into carry on legal bags as I plan to travel pretty light. I have zero'd in on the Aeronaut bag, MEI Voyaguer pack, and Skytrain pack. I will be honest in that I am leaning towards the aeronaut bag but I have several requirements and concerns that I would like to hear about including:
1. I have a North Face Surge Backpack that I would like to take with me to China to serve as a daypack to carry my dSLR, lens, and possible things that I buy in China. The dimensions of the the north face pack are: 20"x 13.5" x 9.5" - So my first question is, will this pack fit inside of the main compartment of the Aeronaut bag? Looking at the specs for the main compartment, my initial answer is no, but I was wondering if I might be able to stuff the pack inside the main compartment.
2. How easy is it to attach locks to the zippers? Are the zippers large enough to attach the locks?
3. If my north face bag does not fit in the main compartment, would a messenger bag like the Super Ego or back pack like the Brain bag be able to fit (fold?) into the main compartment of the aeronaut bag? I'm open to this solution, if the North Face pack truly doesn't fit. Note: I'm unwilling to consider the backpack cube because I don't think it will offer enough space.
- Carry on legal bag
- Must be able to transport any empty daypack/messenger bag
- Must have backpack straps / be able to convert to duffle bag
- Must accept TSA approved locks
Listed Advantages and Disadvantages:
- Most space (3,000 cu inches)
- Cheapest ($136)
- Probably could fit North face daypack
- better for true backpacking / hiking
- May be hard to pack and organize due to only one main compartment
- Not very comfortable as a dufflebag (According to reviews)
- Long lead times would not give me time to find a different solution if I was not happy with the product
- Packing cubes required
- convertible duffle bag (has back pack straps)
- 2,700 cu inches
- Multi-compartments to better organize packing
- Comfortable as a duffle bag and backpack
- pack cubes designed for the bag
- better for urban travel (trains/subways/taxis/airplanes)
- more expensive than MEI and has less space
- questionable on whether Northface bag would fit (can be mitigated with another messenger or other backpack)
- unique design on the main compartment could be a limiting factor
- convertible duffle bag with backpack straps
- 2,400 cu inches
- Multiple compartments to better organize
- more expensive than MEI or Aeronaut
- Least amount of space
- questonable on whether northface bag would fit (can be mitigated with another messenger or other backpack)
I look forward to hearing your perspectives!
Does your North Face bag have internal stays that prevent it from being folded? If so, it likely will not fit in the Aeronaut.
Tags for this Thread