Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    A supremely silly question, if I may...

Can a new Pilot be used as a kind of temporary packing cube in an Aeronaut, then unpacked at the destination and used as an EDC while staying at the destination? I know that's a maddening question to ask, but if one can ask it for the Co-Pilot and/or the Packing Cube Backpack, why not inquire about the Pilot?
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Yes. Why not.

MtnMan

I do not see why not. That is what I would do - use the Pilot as a packing cube and then as a professional briefcase when at my business destination.
    Btw, with the Pilot in, there is also some additional room at the top (~2 inches) for a long narrow packing cube or rolled up clothes.
    You sacrifice some packing space because of the thicker Pilot material but ok for me given the flexibility of having the Pilot for use at my destination.

Cheers

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    The Pilot was designed to fit into (among other bags) the middle compartment of the Tri-Star...
    This is interesting: does a lightly-packed Pilot fit easily into the middle compartment of a Tri-Star? (Naturally it'd depend somewhat on how full the other sections are, and perhaps the Dyneema version would also have an advantage here.)

I love my Tri-Star and Ristretto combo, but I'm thinking a Dyneema Pilot might add some flexibility for some of my travel scenarios.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ajgray View Post
    This is interesting: does a lightly-packed Pilot fit easily into the middle compartment of a Tri-Star? (Naturally it'd depend somewhat on how full the other sections are, and perhaps the Dyneema version would also have an advantage here.)

I love my Tri-Star and Ristretto combo, but I'm thinking a Dyneema Pilot might add some flexibility for some of my travel scenarios.
    Welcome to the forums, @ajgray. Yes, a lightly (or even not so lightly) packed Pilot will fit inside the middle compartment of the Tri-Star. And you're also correct that the Dyneema version works a bit better here.

Here's a very old photo I posted (#413) from the first month of the Pilot's release:

That's a 400d Dyneema Nordic/Solar Pilot in the center compartment of an Indigo/Solar Tri-Star.

Here's a comment from @Perseffect:
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    I have a ballistic nylon Tristar and a dyneema pilot. It fits perfectly into the centre compartment (in fact the reason I originally bought it.) I would definitely suggest the dyneema will allow it to lie 'flatter' and mould around what it contains (laptop etc).
    HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Yes, a lightly (or even not so lightly) packed Pilot will fit inside the middle compartment of the Tri-Star. And you're also correct that the Dyneema version works a bit better here. Here's a very old photo...
    Excellent! That's exactly what I was looking for - thanks much, moriond!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2