Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Forum Member

A question about roller bags in general

Have they gotten much lighter in the past decade?

It always seems as though mine is quite heavy. It's a Ricardo Beverly Hills 21" or 22" inch roller bag with one main compartment, a suit compartment/expandable section, and two outer pockets. I bought it in 1999 or 2000, upon Consumer Reports' recommendations. It's always been a bit of a pain in the rear: impossible to lift into a plane's overhead compartment, heavy without any clothes in it and sort of bulky.

I dropped by the luggage department at my local department store today and saw the Samsonite Lift2 21" spinner Samsonite Lift2 21" Spinner. It weights under 7 lbs.

So I'm curious if big improvements have been made in the area of weight.

P.S. I have a travel bag/backpack thing called the Patagonia LBC (Little Brother Carryon). It never seemed quite large enough for me, but I don't know if that's b/c I pack too much or I don't use cubes or what. I have an Aeronaut 45 on my wish list...but I don't travel frequently enough to justify the expense.

Forum Member
    There are a few wheeled bags than now come in under six pounds and some even under five pounds. Eagle Creek makes a few but they are in the same price range as an Aeronaut.

Rick Steves has a couple of wheeled bags that sell for $160. One is just over six pounds and the other is just under six pounds.

IT luggage as their "World's Lightest Luggage" line but I don't recommend it.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    Sometimes I think I need to get out more!
    I don't think I would buy another wheeled bag anytime soon. Not unless I had back problems or something.

If you are wondering whether a non-rolling upright has enough space, you might want to take a look at the capacity and see how much the luggage holds. One of the challenges with rolling uprights is that some models sacrifice interior space in order to accommodate the handles.

One option is to use a separate collapsible wheeled luggage cart -- that will open you up to using all sorts of carry-ons without wheels. There are a few on the market (you may have an easier time finding one online; many luggage stores don't carry many models of the carts these days). That would be especially handy if you have a bad back and cannot wear a carry-on on your back or your shoulders.

The Patagonia LBC you have is 19" x 14" x 8.5" (2261 cubic inches). While that's pretty darn close to the maximum-allowable carry-on size for many airlines, it could actually be a tad taller to provide a little more space... the Aeronaut 45 has a capacity of 2700 so it's definitely more spacious.

One option you might consider is to carry a daypack or shoulder bag with your Patagonia LBC, and pack things like your 3-1-1 toiletry kit in it, rather than packing it in your big carry-on. That'll free up space.

There are also a lot of resources online (including Rick Steves) with very nice packing lists that can show you how to whittle down what you take with you (and a lot of folks here think his packing lists are still too big).
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner