Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Forum Member

Shoe bag for A30: end pocket or WF small packing cube?

Hello friends,

I've been enjoying my first TB purchase, a black dyneema S19, for a couple of months, and am getting an order ready for an A30 for my husband (hopefully ASAP once new products are announced next week!). He is a very organized person and wears size 9.5 shoes.

I see from the packing cube page that WF small packing cubes would take a regular pair of size 12 mens shoes. However on occasion he'd like to bring low ankle hiking boots (e.g., Asolo Agent GV MM Wool - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways), which I think would be too big for the WF small packing cube. Most of his trips don't require hiking boots though.

The advantage that I can see of getting the WF cube over the A30 end pocket cube is that there might be more room for stuff sacks. I could of course get both, but we already have one travel laundry stuff sack that looks to be a perfect fit for the end pocket as well, and of course if I end up borrowing the bag the end pocket cube will be way too big for my shoes...

emcee

Depending on how you travel, could he wear the boots instead of packing them?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marytattoo View Post
    Depending on how you travel, could he wear the boots instead of packing them?
    No doubt he could, especially if he weren't feeling dapper that day

Then wearing them on travel day might be a way to go?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Thanks marytattoo -- I am probably overthinking this, and either one will be fine.

Volunteer Moderator
    Hi @emcee, I hope someone who uses the A30 for larger men's shoes can give you a better answer. However, it's generally a good idea to wear heavier shoes when you want to pack lightly in your luggage (for a flight, for example). With respect to the A30 end cubes, if you're getting packing cubes to use for shoes in the Aeronaut 30, it probably makes more sense to get the packing cubes that are designed for that bag.

The main difference you'll notice is in the length of the packing cube, since the A30 end cube will let you use the full length of the end compartment, while the WF is shorter (11.7" vs. 13.4"). Although there are differences in packing cube thickness, that's a bit more adjustable in the way that you fill end pocket of the A30. I'd just point out that for heavier shoes (athletic shoes reinforced around the ankles), or even for high heels, you'll probably pack the shoes by putting them in reversed side by side (toe of one by the heel of the other), and you may have to compensate for the extra thickness or heels by pulling them further apart (so the toe of one shoe does not rest directly on top of the heel or reinforced ankle region of its neighbor). In that case, the extra length of the end cube can come in useful. (I have to admit, that when I tried this for my own shoes, which at their largest would be women's size 6 -- requiring only about 9" -- even heavy shoes or high heels fit better into a Small Western Flyer Packing Cube, and I didn't need the length of the A30 end cube. However, there might be circumstances where the A30 end cube could fit your or your husband's shoes, where the WF Small Packing Cube might not. And you could always insert a small travel stuff sack inside the A30 end cube if you wanted to use the space.

It's trickier if you want to choose the packing cubes for optimal use in other Tom Bihn bags. The A30 end cube fits well along the bottom inside of the larger Synapse 25 and the A30 Large Packing Cube works for the main section of the S25, but for the Synapse 19 that you use, you might prefer to use a Small Western Flyer packing cube or a Medium size TriStar packing cube. Likewise, if you had a Smart Alec backpack, the Western Flyer packing cubes use the room the best. The Western Flyer Small Packing Cube also works well for me in the Co-Pilot.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Thanks moriond. I should probably have also mentioned that we both have TSA precheck that lets you keep on shoes through security, and I am reluctant to do anything that would cause the metal detector to trip more frequently, which might include wearing hiking shoes in flight. So I'll probably go with the A30 end pocket cube.

Is agree with moriond, I have an A45, WF and Trristar. I bought the specific packing cubes for each bag instead of trying to use ones from other bags.

I know I could have saved some money but I like the idea that the specific packing cubes absolutely maximise the space in the bag. After all packing light doesn't allow you much wasted space in the bag.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A vote for "Portable Culture"
    Aeronaut 45 ([Black/Steel), Aeronaut 30 (Navy/Iberian), Western Flyer (Navy/UV), Pilot (Navy/Solar), Synapse 25 (Grey/UV), Ristretto (Navy/UV), Medium Cafe Bag (Grey/Olive), Daylight Backpack (Burnt Orange), Daylight Briefcase (Grey) PLUS more 'bits' than you can shake a stick at!

Forum Member

WF small works fine

Just to follow up on this thread, I ended up getting the WF small cube and my husband's hiking shoes fit fine.
    Shoe bag for A30: end pocket or WF small packing cube?-img_0512-jpg
    Shoe bag for A30: end pocket or WF small packing cube?-img_0513-jpg
    Shoe bag for A30: end pocket or WF small packing cube?-img_0514-jpg

With a size 1 TSS in the A30 end pocket.
    Shoe bag for A30: end pocket or WF small packing cube?-img_0511-jpg

Sorry for the large images. Thanks, everybody!