Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member

Organize Synapse 25

I just got a S25 and I'm trying to think of how to better organize it, and what items fit best in each of the pockets.
    1. In the bottom front pocket I have my gym shoes in an eagle creek shoe bag. What other types of organizers bags/sacks optimize the space here?
    2. The two side pockets, I'm using for sunglass/eye glass. I've heard that size 2 TSS work well here, is that so and can I stuff them to the gills.
    3. The main pocket, I keep my 11' Macbook Air in sleeve in stretchy pocket and I have an ebags medium packing cube with my gym clothes. This is where I'm having most problems as I don't have enough in this cube to keep it from slouching and so it kinda rolls itself to the bottom. Assuming I want to pack this mail compartment efficiently, what is a good combination of sacks and/or cubes anyone has tried? Is there a magic recipe for this space? It is so cavernous I would like to utilize to its max potential when used for travel and also when just carried as EDC.

Finally, want to say that I'm extremely pleased with my S25. I'm using it as EDC and for travel and basically it's not leaving my side. It's quite big for EDC but I need to carry shoes in it and thankfully they fit in the bottom front.

First image shows empty cavern, second image is my organizing cube "falling in".
    Attached Images Attached Images Organize Synapse 25-main1-jpg  Organize Synapse 25-main2-jpg 

The best thing for you to organize the main compartment is the S25 Freudian Slip. Check out the video on the home page (sorry, I don't have the link.) It's made to organize the S25 just as the S19 FS is to organize that backpack.

ETA - video link:
    Vertical Freudian Slip - Inside a backpack organizer for papers, files, gadgets, and more - TOM BIHN
    Last edited by marytattoo; 06-12-2015 at 10:34 AM.

Forum Member
    I debated whether to get this or not.
    In the end it was no since I could organize the stuff in FS in the side pockets and small top pocket of the pack.

Can you rig something up to clip the cube to the rail loops at the top of the compartment?

You can also try taking a thin cardboard (e.g. manila folder) or plastic (e.g. those very cheap cutting boards)and placing it at the bottom of your packing cube, with the clothes on top. That could then help the cube stay upright.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    You can also try taking a thin cardboard (e.g. manila folder) or plastic (e.g. those very cheap cutting boards)and placing it at the bottom of your packing cube, with the clothes on top. That could then help the cube stay upright.
    This, though if I may, I can suggest a tweak. Cut a piece of cardboard that's slightly smaller than the packing cube's footprint. Then use the "bundle wrapping" technique with the cardboard (or other rigid, flat object) as the core. This will avoid the situation where the piece of cardboard keeps the cube's shape but the *clothes* themselves slouch to the bottom inside the cube.

I've tried this successfully when trying to bundle pack "flatly", which is needed in bags with flat compartments (tri-star, western flyer) because the usual bundle packing advice to use a fatter core composed of e.g. socks and underwear results in a mid-bulging, thick bundle, whereas a consistently flat but as-wide-as-the-bag bundle is a better fit.

This depends of course on the amount of clothes you have lending themselves to bundle packing.

Forum Member
    I like the PCSB cubes for the S25. Two standing up on their ends go in side by side nicely in the bottom of the main compartment. In the front bottom pocket, the Side Effect fits great, as does the Spiff Kit in standard size. I hear the snake charmer does as well, but don't have that one.

Volunteer Moderator
    @solo, In addition to @luvdabags' suggestion of PCSB (packing cube shoulder bags) for the S25, you can use the large packing cube from the Aeronaut 30 to carry clothes. This is actually a good fit to the width of the Synapse 25 for gym clothes. The Packing Cube BackPack for Aeronaut is another possibility (very slightly larger when used as a packing cube), and if you fit your gym shoes into the front bottom pocket, I think you could take the PCBP for Aeronaut out of your backpack, invert it to use in backpack mode, and separately carry your gym clothes in the large packing cube sized portion while stowing your gym shoes in the bottom zippered pocket of the backpack mode.

Just a thought. @Lani may have some suggestions about this usage, since she's a fan of the PCBP. The trick with the bottom pocket won't work if you have large feet or very bulky shoes, but if you're stowing your gym shoes in the front zippered pocket of the S25, this should work for you. I can do this with my size 6 MBTs that would not fit in the S25 front pocket (too bulky).

HTH and that others will weigh in with suggestions

moriond

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdabags View Post
    I like the PCSB cubes for the S25. Two standing up on their ends go in side by side nicely in the bottom of the main compartment.
    I would love to see a picture of this!

Quote Originally Posted by moriond
    The Packing Cube BackPack for Aeronaut is another possibility (very slightly larger when used as a packing cube), and if you fit your gym shoes into the front bottom pocket, I think you could take the PCBP for Aeronaut out of your backpack, invert it to use in backpack mode, and separately carry your gym clothes in the large packing cube sized portion while stowing your gym shoes in the bottom zippered pocket of the backpack mode
    A backpack within a backpack? I like!

Quote Originally Posted by terayon View Post
    Can you rig something up to clip the cube to the rail loops at the top of the compartment?
    Terayon. There are a couple of different threads with photos that show exactly what you mention. Great solutions. I can't post links right now. Maybe Moriond's search skills will make links magically appear. 😀
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Forum Member
    I found this post where a modular pack for smart alec was used.
    Still, what cube/organizer for bottom? Well, maybe gym clothes fit in that one...

@solo

@Ilkyway can confirm but from her picture and description, the Navy item with the double zippers is a Snake Charmer and beside in is a Standard Spiff Kit. I am not sure if gym clothes fit it in but I do know that people like to use the Snake Charmer in the S25 by putting it in the front bottom pocket.

I personally do not think the Snake Charmer would be big enough to fit most people's gym clothes. YMMV as it depends on your size.

+1 on the PCSB. I use that in my S25 when I travel - though I put it in the water bottle compartment and sometimes in the main compartment. I usually put a spare shirt, underwear, socks and it fits well (I wear men's XL size stuff for reference). I believe there is extra room for some shorts that would fill it up completely - basically it would fit what I consider gym clothes I need except for shoes (which would go in my other PCSB).

Hope this Helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 06-14-2015 at 09:33 AM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Terayon. There are a couple of different threads with photos that show exactly what you mention. Great solutions. I can't post links right now. Maybe Moriond's search skills will make links magically appear. 😀
    @Terayon's suggestion of hacking a connection to the rail loops can work in general, but I don't believe that the Eagle Creek Packing Cubes the original poster linked to have any attachment points you can suspend them from. That's why I didn't try posting to the numerous examples of these hacks. Here's one of my posts showing a few ways this can work. There are all sorts of ways to attach items to the rail loop webbing using Gatekeeper clips, wrist straps, keystraps, Double Carabiners, Triangle clips (even without having to cut the connector clip as @scribe did -- see my hack for adding them to the FJN to get an attachment end for the connectors of a regular shoulder strap). One of the advantages of the TB packing cubes is that many of them are optimally sized to use the space not just in the travel bags they were designed for, but other TB bags and accessories, as well. There's also a lot of experience on the forums with fitting in the newer Eagle Creek Specter II cubes into bags.

Anyway, that's why I think @Pokilani's suggestions about how to support the existing cube might be more useful. My comments about the Aeronaut 30 large packing cube or the Packing Cube BackBack for Aeronaut can be used for carrying much larger amounts of clothing than are probably needed for the gym. I'd probably put a complete change of gym clothes into a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, as @tpnl mentioned. But the neat part about the Packing Cube BackPack for Aeronaut, is that you could take it out and also hold the shoes in the bottom and clothes on top, and carry it off separately as a light weight backpack. (Doesn't work if you have large feet/heavy shoes -- but should work for the poster).

oriond

@solo

Here are pictures of 2 PCSB fitting inside an S25 that you wanted to see. The Nordic PCSB has a XL T-Shirt, XL shorts, socks and underwear. The Black PCSB has size 8 shoes (my wife's).

Organize Synapse 25-2-pcsb-s25_int-jpg

Organize Synapse 25-2-pcsb-s25_comp-jpg

Organize Synapse 25-2-pcsb-s25_ext-jpg

The 2 PCSB side by side are just a bit wider than the the S25 but they compress to fit. Now, if you have your shoes in the front bottom pocket, 1 PCSB with your gym stuff should be good enough to go in the main compartment and will not "slouch".

Also, another idea for your existing packing cube is to get a carabiner (like the TB double carbiner) and hook one end to the handle of the packing cube and the other to the side O-Ring. This may suspend things more and not allow the packing cube to slide down to the bottom of the bag or slouch as much.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Forum Member
    @tpnl

Thank you, those pictures look great. Question for you. Do you think you have enough room in mail compartment to add a snake charmer on top(or under) the 2 PCSB?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast