Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member

Dyneema and bulging

This may have been covered elsewhere, so my apologies if it has. I'm gearing up for a S25 purchase and/or an Aeronaut purchase, and I'm hoping that Dyneema versions will be back with the debut, because the lightweight aspect of Dyneema really appeals to me.

That said, I love the way my ballistic PU holds its shape, no matter what I stuff in there.

My concern about Dyneema is that it will have more give, and could, in theory, a) allow me to stuff too much in, thus negating the lightweight material weight advantages, and b) I could inadvertently bulge my way out of size limits, etc. I know the Dyneema won't "stand up" the way the cordura or ballistic does, but what do folks think, those of you who have Dyneema versions of the backpacks and travel bags?
    Last edited by jagmuse; 06-16-2015 at 08:13 AM. Reason: edited to correct that Synapse is cordura, thanks ilkyway!

I don't have any Tom Bihn backpacks. (Yet...) But I have 1 Pilot in steel dyneema and 1 in forest ballistic nylon. I can get more stuff in the dyneema Pilot. I once folded my coat flat and manged to fit it in the open back pocket. I don't think I could have done that in the ballistic nylon Pilot. To me it feels like 2 differnt bags and the one in dyneema is larger. When (over)packed with soft things it can take an football shape. When i packed a thick chocolatebox (2 layers-yum) the corners were poking through.

My travel bags are all Ballistic. I wanted the extra amount of tuffness there. But I have a Synapse 25 in Dyneema as well as in Cordura (no Ballistic version there) and I can say both are great. The Cordura is a bit stiffer but not in a way that the Dyneema version is less funktional or disturbingly floppy or such. If Dyneema with its look and weight is what you'd like to have than as far as the Synapse is conseurned: go for it, you wount regret it.
    As for the Aeronout someone else with experioance with both meterials might swoop in.

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Speaking only from the perspective of a Dyneema S19 owner, I find that it has enough structure - with the pockets - to stand up even when lightly packed. That said, my Synapse is usually stuffed to the gills! I do think the volume limit of the 19 helps me manage my load: because it's only so big, even though the weight hasn't topped out, I have to periodically evaluate what's in it. In contrast, with my (ballistic) SA, I can stuff a ton of things in there and only belatedly wonder, "why is this so heavy??"

That said - for EDC, the weight tradeoff between Dyneema and Cordura is definitive for me, coming down in favor of the lighter fabric. But I might feel differently if my only two choices were, say, black Cordura and wasabi Dyneema.

The Dyneema allows some give but again, with the pockets it doesn't balloon too much. When we had our meetup this weekend garrily was comparing her Cordura S19 with my Dyneema one, and mulling over whether the additional flexibility was a critical factor. So for instance she could stuff her (packed) Side Effect into the bottom pocket of the Dyneema S19, but would find that action more challenging with the Cordura bag. YMMV. (The "stretch" of Dyneema may be more of a factor with other, less-structured bags like a PCBP or the Daylight backpack.)

And, I've held off buying an A30 because I honestly don't think I'd be happy carrying a full Aeronaut, Dyneema or no... when my Smart Alec (26L + UMP/2L=28L) is full, it's about as much as I want to carry around an airport. Even then, I wouldn't want to wander around a city all day with it on my shoulders. But I'm only 5 feet and not much of a weightlifter. (I did, however, wear my son in a baby carrier quite frequently till he was about 30#, in lieu of pushing a stroller. Same idea as carry-on vs. rollaboard luggage. )

That said, I'm still very very tempted by the A30 as a workout bag. Fancy!!
    Last edited by haraya; 06-16-2015 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jagmuse View Post
    My concern about Dyneema is that it will have more give, and could, in theory, a) allow me to stuff too much in, thus negating the lightweight material weight advantages, and b) I could inadvertently bulge my way out of size limits, etc. I know the Dyneema won't "stand up" the way the ballistic does, but what do folks think, those of you who have Dyneema versions of the backpacks and travel bags?
    OK, well, as someone who doesn't have much dyneema stuff and doesn't travel much, I'm not very well-placed to say this... but I think your concerns are valid. Regarding #1, I've noticed that some people buy dyneema in smaller luggage bags like the WF so that they can stuff more things in. That's a good strategy for (very) small bags whose capacity you'd like to maximise while remaining lug-able but it sounds like there is a danger of overstuffing past your tolerance level in larger bags. For one, I was very glad that my ballistic TS could only hold so much before not zipping up, because anything more and my partner would have had a lot of trouble carrying it.

As for #2, I think that's also a real concern. I've really stuffed my dyneema SEs and CP before and they zipped up fine. However, they were really bulgy and did not fit as well in smaller spaces like the S19 bottom pocket. I mean, it seems that you can stuff your way over size limits in both ballistic and dyneema bags, but given how flexible dyneema is that is going to be a bigger issue in dyneema bags. JM2C.

Forum Member
    Thanks everyone, this is really helpful. And I think @adalangdon, you hit on a good point - maybe I should try dyneema in the smaller or EDC items first, where overstuffing is less of an issue. I am probably going to start with the S25 as a short-trip travel bag, rather than an EDC, so I may want the durability of the cordura (and less risk of overstuffing).

thinking thinking thinking.....

Thanks everyone, this is really helpful. And I think @adalangdon, you hit on a good point - maybe I should try dyneema in the smaller or EDC items first, where overstuffing is less of an issue. I am probably going to start with the S25 as a short-trip travel bag, rather than an EDC, so I may want the durability of the cordura (and less risk of overstuffing).

thinking thinking thinking.....
    I think that's a good idea. Well, you could get a dyneema S25 if you wanted to try it on a semi-travel bag. For one, I think the Synapses and the other 'real backpacks' prevent overstuffing, albeit unintentionally. I find that when the packs are overstuffed, the stiff foam back panel becomes a convex surface that makes them difficult/annoying to carry for anything longer than a short distance. I almost never over-stuff my backpacks for that reason. (The DLBP does not have a padded panel and for that reason conforms better to your body even when stuffed.) But if you have a high threshold for discomfort and annoyances, you may be in danger >_>

The other thing is that unless you are gonna be kicking your bag around on a dirt road or tarmac, dyneema is actually really tough. If the roughest use it'll be seeing is being dumped roughly on the floor, or nudged around with your foot on smooth floors like concrete or the subway... it'll be fine.
    Last edited by adalangdon; 06-16-2015 at 08:45 AM.

This may have been covered elsewhere, so my apologies if it has. I'm gearing up for a S25 purchase and/or an Aeronaut purchase, and I'm hoping that Dyneema versions will be back with the debut, because the lightweight aspect of Dyneema really appeals to me.

That said, I love the way my ballistic PU holds its shape, no matter what I stuff in there.

My concern about Dyneema is that it will have more give, and could, in theory, a) allow me to stuff too much in, thus negating the lightweight material weight advantages, and b) I could inadvertently bulge my way out of size limits, etc. I know the Dyneema won't "stand up" the way the cordura or ballistic does, but what do folks think, those of you who have Dyneema versions of the backpacks and travel bags?
    If you live in the states or Canada, remember that returning isn't very expensive. You can order and try your stuff inside, and if you aren't happy, send it back.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marytattoo View Post
    If you live in the states or Canada, remember that returning isn't very expensive. You can order and try your stuff inside, and if you aren't happy, send it back.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Yeah, but then I run the very high risk of keeping both versions!!

Forum Member
    I am weak - I totally caved and ordered a French Blue Cordura S25 and a Black Dyneema S25, and will see which one I prefer, in terms of weight, bulge, etc. It was the only way. All in the name of science. Or something. Shall we take bets on whether or not I manage to choose one over the other??

Forum Member
    @jagmuse, many folks on the forum DO have the same TB item in multiple colors. You are in good company. Welcome to the forum!

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    I have 2 Aeronauts, online Dyneema, the other in Balistic Nylon. I personally prefer the Balistic one, and it's done a lot of trips with me, but I'm in a minority of one in my house as everyone else prefers the Dyneema one and my Dyneema Tri-Star! All three do the job perfectly and, functionally, I wouldn't rate any over the others (size aside). Dyneema seems to be just as robust in regular travel applications.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Crip View Post
    I have 2 Aeronauts, online Dyneema, the other in Balistic Nylon. I personally prefer the Balistic one, and it's done a lot of trips with me, but I'm in a minority of one in my house as everyone else prefers the Dyneema one and my Dyneema Tri-Star! All three do the job perfectly and, functionally, I wouldn't rate any over the others (size aside). Dyneema seems to be just as robust in regular travel applications.
    Fat Crip! We've missed you! Nice to see you post again. How's life?
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Well thank you. I've been busy. I look in from time to time. My TB bags have been giving excellent service and other than destroying one Ultimate Shoulder Strap by running it over with disability scooter, all are still going strong...actually, that's not true. I've just remembered my first iPad Ristrettois starting to come apart, but it's had God knows how many years of everyday use, so it's OK. Personally I've been busy as I stood, unsuccessfully, for the Parliament in May and am standing, hopefully more successfully, for the Scottish Parliament next year. So your bags are moving in high circles over here!

I am looking for a new bag, but till I decide what I'm doing with my laptop, I'm not sure where I'm going. I see people keep watching my Aeronaut/Tri-Star/Western Flyer videos...amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Crip View Post
    Well thank you. I've been busy. I look in from time to time. My TB bags have been giving excellent service and other than destroying one Ultimate Shoulder Strap by running it over with disability scooter, all are still going strong...actually, that's not true. I've just remembered my first iPad Ristrettois starting to come apart, but it's had God knows how many years of everyday use, so it's OK. Personally I've been busy as I stood, unsuccessfully, for the Parliament in May and am standing, hopefully more successfully, for the Scottish Parliament next year. So your bags are moving in high circles over here!

I am looking for a new bag, but till I decide what I'm doing with my laptop, I'm not sure where I'm going. I see people keep watching my Aeronaut/Tri-Star/Western Flyer videos...amazing!
    Oh my Lord. I'll be sure to follow the Scotland section of Guardian more carefully from now on... or should I be looking elsewhere?? :-)

I'm fairly new to the forum *points to join date*, but have read a lot of your posts while researching what to buy. Welcome back!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast