Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm regretting opening this thread! After losing my mini Yeoman in London in May, I went back and forth between getting another one or getting the NFTD. I decided to wait for the mini to come back in stock (over two months, which coincided with my birthday) in my preferred color. I really LOVE having the Navy mini back as it is a perfect running essentials bag for me. Plus, it's so darn cute! But, while I was traveling with it, I really wished for the side pockets of the NFTD. Thanks a lot, Tom Bihn, for always making me WANT ALL THE BAGS!

The Earth, we share.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure whether anyone had shared their experience with NFTD as a Diaper Bag, an alternative to Parental Unit. Bigger and it could be a totally different experience. If there is, please help point me to right link. I'd been looking to learn more.

Sometimes, I hope my Parental Unit is a bit bigger. It is already quite full with baby clothing, baby snacks, baby this and that. Plus, my wife's common thick wallet and her makeup pouch! I actually really like the Parental Unit, even more after refitted the Shoulder Strap with Mission Workshop Quick Release Strap for cross-body/messaging style.

My is 1st Gen, though. I kinda wonder how the 2nd Gen's improvement be more versatile.
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Forum Member
    Virginia, Paris, Berlin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread has made me curious: I often carry an A30 on long-haul flights as my personal item, and seem to use it as many here use the NFTD. Only thing I don't like is the difficulty of carrying a laptop.
    How does the NFTD work in this regard?
    What does one gain with the NFTD which can't be done with the A30?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I have both and they serve very different purposes. For me, the A30 is more of a suitcase-substitute. The A30 usually goes in the overhead, whereas I usually stash the NFTD under the seat in front of me.

I have used the NFTD as my only bag for very quick trips, as a bag to bring in the house when I don't want to unpack my main suitcase (when I was just staying someplace for one night), and it has served as a substitute nightstand when I'm staying with relatives who don't have a table near the guest bed.

The NFTD was designed for those budget airlines that have very restrictive sizes for what they allow as a "free" carry-on. I think the terminology gets confusing, because some airlines consider a "personal item" what you can bring along with your carry-on, and in some cases it is the only bag you are allowed without paying a fee. The maximum sizes and weights are all over the place, and for some airlines even the NFTD is technically over the dimensions allowed as a second bag, but for most it is within the dimensions allowed as an only bag. But either way, the NFTD is much smaller capacity (2/3 of the A30), and much lighter. Of course you give up the backpack straps.

I'm replying to @bbcamp -- sorry, this doesn't answer the diaper bag question. Honestly, I'd find it REALLY bulky for that, particularly if I was pushing a stroller or carrying a kid. It seems like a shoulder bag such as the Parental Unit, or a backpack, would be easier to haul around. The Synapse 19 is about the same capacity, for instance, as the NFTD.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 11-19-2017 at 08:39 AM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @weirdguy
    I have used both as a diaper bag and they both work great. If I'm carrying the baby though, I prefer the shape and weight distribution of the PU over the NFTD. For road trips and plane trips, definitely the NFTD over the PU. I did not notice much of a difference space wise between the second version of the PU and the NFTD and it could be because of what is usually packed for kids. If I was looking for more space, I switch to either the S25 or SA. The backpack mode also makes it more balanced to carry that weight and the weight of the baby/baby carrier.
    HTH

Forum Member
    Virginia, Paris, Berlin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Well, I have both and they serve very different purposes. For me, the A30 is more of a suitcase-substitute. The A30 usually goes in the overhead, whereas I usually stash the NFTD under the seat in front of me.

I have used the NFTD as my only bag for very quick trips, as a bag to bring in the house when I don't want to unpack my main suitcase (when I was just staying someplace for one night), and it has served as a substitute nightstand when I'm staying with relatives who don't have a table near the guest bed.

The NFTD was designed for those budget airlines that have very restrictive sizes for what they allow as a "free" carry-on. I think the terminology gets confusing, because some airlines consider a "personal item" what you can bring along with your carry-on, and in some cases it is the only bag you are allowed without paying a fee. The maximum sizes and weights are all over the place, and for some airlines even the NFTD is technically over the dimensions allowed as a second bag, but for most it is within the dimensions allowed as an only bag. But either way, the NFTD is much smaller capacity (2/3 of the A30), and much lighter. Of course you give up the backpack straps.

I'm replying to @bbcamp -- sorry, this doesn't answer the diaper bag question. Honestly, I'd find it REALLY bulky for that, particularly if I was pushing a stroller or carrying a kid. It seems like a shoulder bag such as the Parental Unit, or a backpack, would be easier to haul around. The Synapse 19 is about the same capacity, for instance, as the NFTD.
    Thanks!
    do you carry a laptop in the NFTD?

Forum Member
    Deep South, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bbcamp View Post
    Thanks!
    do you carry a laptop in the NFTD?
    A laptop won't fit. An iPad fits only if you are creative. The bag is quite compartmentalized. I still love it though.
    S19, Pilot, S25, SE, NFTD, SCB, LCB, LS- in that order, all in Halcyon. Newest: Brain Bag. Oh, and some Shop Bags and Travel Cubelets. And some pouches. And a couple of Organizer Wallets. And a SSK. And some stuff sacks. And a laundry sack. But I'm not hooked on TB.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2