Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3DOC vs. Small SC

I have a large snake charmer and I'm finding it waaaay too big. I have a macbook power adapter, a small USB wall charger, and just a couple of other things (small lightning cables, tide pen, earbuds etc).

I think I could actually get everything into a 3DOC. However, I noticed something puzzling.

A mesh 3DOC is $27, which seemed fine until I noticed that the small Snake Charmer is only $25. Now I get that there is more to pricing than just sheer size, but am I missing something here?

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed that an 8 inch keystrap is $5 (two swivel snap hooks and a short length of ribbon), but a 5/8 inch shoulder strap is $3 ( two swivel snap hooks, a sliding strap shortener, and a very long length of ribbon). It probably comes down to how fiddly it is to sew together, because labor is probably the biggest cost.

The 3DOC has 2 o rings on the outside and hook on the inside. 7" x 4.3" x 2"

The Small SC has 2 o rings on the inside and the triangle hooky thing. 8.3” x 4.9” x 4.3”

Hum, still makes no sense to me, either.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 04-07-2017 at 01:14 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was my thinking - the snake charmer seems significantly more complex than the 3DOC and would require a lot more sewing.

Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree!! I LOVE the small snake charmer & when I consider the other small bag options (3DOC) I can't justify the expense. The snake charmers are significantly more bag for less money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Carry: Swift (Verde/UV), SK (Steel/Iberian) & SSC (Sitka)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Small SC is new, but it is an older design, it is priced by contrast to its bigger cousin which is $30.

It is a credit to TB Crew, that even if the SC design was updated, the price has stayed the same, the side strap and the triangle hook were added which means the price should have increased because of the cost of the part and the extra webbing, especially the extra steps needed for sewing them, which add labor costs.

TB Crew tries to keep prices accessible, especially for the accessories, but, at some point, a slight rise is needed to reveal the rise in labor costs.

It is also fair, for me to say, that I am a 3DOC enthusiast, to say the least. I usually have to stop myself to add one to every order.
    I believe they are the most versatile accessories in the Tom Bihn line.
    Last edited by backpack; 04-08-2017 at 05:17 PM.

Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    The Small SC is new, but it is an older design, it is priced by contrast to its bigger cousin which is $30.

It is a credit to TB Crew, that even if the SC design was updated, the price has stayed the same, the side strap and the triangle hook were added which means the price should have increased because of the cost of the part and the extra webbing, especially the extra steps needed for sewing them, which add labor costs.

TB Crew tries to keep prices accessible, especially for the accessories, but, at some point, a slight rise is needed to reveal the rise in labor costs.

It is also fair, for me to say, that I am a 3DOC enthusiast, to say the least. I usually have to stop myself to add one to every order.
    I believe they are the most versatile accessories in the Tom Bihn line.
    What is your favorite version of the 3DOC? While I haven't purchased one yet, I keep eyeing them and can't decide which one I'd get the most use out of.

Current Carry: Swift (Verde/UV), SK (Steel/Iberian) & SSC (Sitka)

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the all fabric 3doc in parapack. In the summer or for evening, I can use it as a small purse.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @AHesting,

No question, I like the all fabric halcyon 3DOC's and have 3 of them, Iberian, wasabi and island, and love them all. I use it as my EDC with the matching color keystrap as a wristlet. It just looks so stunning and I can swap them out based on the color I am wearing that day or based on the things I want to categorize and throw into my bigger TB bags.

I am waiting for the black and grey parapacks to be made available, those look nice as well.

Forum Member
    Chicago
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hell, I'm not complaining about the price of the SSC. I love mine. I can't be without it in my bag anymore because of how organized it keeps all of my cables. And it just fits so beautifully in the bottom pocket of the S19

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AHesting View Post
    What is your favorite version of the 3DOC? While I haven't purchased one yet, I keep eyeing them and can't decide which one I'd get the most use out of.

I apologize for the late answer, the 3DOC is, for me a mini and plain version of the Side Effect.

The Clear 3DOC is used as a 3-1-1 liquid holder, by quite a few of TB forum members, to replace disposable plastic zip bags.
    It is efficient as a makeup holder/mini purse, dry toiletry or shaving kit.

It is great to transport mini games, coloring or diary kits, small Lego projects, mini toys and their accessories, hair accessories, small toy cars, planes, trains, boats and space ships... A keep kids busy kits on errands or travel. All of these kits can be color coded and kept permanently, in a shop bag, inside a car or a by themselves tethered to a big backpack like the S25, the Brain Bag or the Smart Alec.

The Mesh 3D OC seems to be used mostly as a simple electronic holder.

The Fabric 3D OC is a great mini purse/treasure holder for children, especially now that there are matching colors Key Straps. Bonus point, when the child outgrows its fondness for the item, it can become part of the parent TB stash.

Sturbridge , in this thread, uses it as a purse, as well.

Houston, TX
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sure like my clear 3DOC as a toiletry kit, but have gravitated to a size 1 stuff sack for electronics. My work laptop charge cord is just so bulky it doesn't really fit in the "thin" bags, but the stuff sack goes into my S19 side pockets brilliantly.