Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Keybak retractable reel with the two piece key ring that @Sujo alluded to. That way I can remove my car key and use it. Also useful if you need to hand over the car for valet parking. goo.gl/CXQz4w

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For many years I have been using a carabiner for all of my keys. I do have house keys on one small ring, car key and fob on another, and my work key on another, but they are all attached to a slightly larger ring with the carabiner clip. Then a year or two ago, I decided to make a paracord band, with a lobster clip on one end and a small key ring on the other end. I add my keys to the ring, and when I am not using my keys, I slip the strap through my purse or bag strap and clip the ends together. The paracord is multiple colors and is very bright and cheerful.
    Now that I have a Sidekick to use as an everyday bag, I clip all of my keys except my car key to a key strap in the side pocket, and my car key goes in my jeans pocket or I just use a mini carabiner to clip it to the rest of my keys.
    Oh, the paracord could come in handy one day if an emergency comes up.
    Last edited by Dulcimergal; 04-19-2017 at 03:03 PM.
    "There is no right or wrong way to play a dulcimer, you just play it."

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I just unhook my keys from the keystrap each time I drive. It's really not a big deal for me. Although, I do get why it's annoying. I'd like it to be easier. Plus, I don't want to wear out the plastic snap hook.

I keep eyeing the Outlier Key Piece:

https://shop.outlier.nyc/shop/retail/key-piece.html

I just ordered it. I can report back later how it works.

P.S. I'm a woman, so I'll probably clip this inside my SK or whatever TB bag I'm carrying. I don't plan on wearing it on my pants belt loop, as I think that looks nerdy and jangly.

UPDATE: I just got my Outlier Key Piece and I really like it. It's like a TB keystrap but with magnets. Nice secure, easy to use snap hook, and the magnet that attaches the keys to the hook is nice an firm but easy to attach and unattach at will. The magnet attaches front or back, so there's no way to attach it wrong. Plus, being a magnet, it tries to attach itself when you get it close to the snap hook.

My only concern is keeping my work security ID cards and credit cards away from the magnet when it's in my SK so it doesn't screw up the magnetic strips.

Years ago, I had a lovely leather messenger bag, and the flap closed with a couple of magnets at the bottom. When I went on a trip, I would throw my watch and jewelry into the front compartment in case I had to grab the bag and leave in a hurry. Every morning, my watch had the wrong time. It took me forever to realize the magnets were screwing up the watch mechanism. I use a TT now instead. Much better.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 04-21-2017 at 05:51 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the carabiner theme, I use a TB double carabiner for my car key (with remote integrated), gate remote & post office box key. One half of the carabiner holds those three items on a split ring, and the other half hooks onto an o-ring in my daily-carry Cafe Bag. I find it very easy to hook and unhook frequently during my suburban driving days. Previously I used a regular metal carabiner for this, but I find the the TB double one works a bit better: its shape fits well in my hand, and having the top half dedicated to the o-ring connection seems to simplify things.

In addition, I keep my key (and remote) to my husband's car on a 6" key strap; as I don't use these daily, I don't find the fussier hooking and unhooking too cumbersome. And I keep my house keys on a separate 6" key strap, which is long enough to allow use without unhooking. The latter gives me great pleasure every time I use them, because it is such a treat to have them so conveniently available. (Members of my family must be a bit tired of hearing me rave about this system whenever one of their keys goes into hiding!)

How do you deal with car keys????-img_0659-jpg
    Last edited by Kaz; 04-20-2017 at 07:58 PM. Reason: add photo

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I have a good solution devised, but I'm waiting for some mini S-biners to arrive this weekend. Then, the final solution is a mini-snaphook on one end of a custom paracord keychain, and the other end will be a mini S-biner. This way I can make keychains in various colors to match my bags, then just snap the car key to the mini-snaphook, and the S-biner to an 8-inch o-ring keystrap.

The other half of this solution is the realization that I can attach the keys to the keystrap on my bag before I open the door and get put of the car. That means one less thing to juggle as I get out holding my iPhone and putting my bag on. The key can just dangle from the strap for a few steps while I put my phone away safely, then they are in easy reach to grab and lock the car. It was a definite lightbulb moment.
    Rambling On. . . . .

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What sort of lanyard do you envision with the paracord?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm planning on something like the one from this site, only 3-4 inches long. I have a "free gift with purchase" one that is longer which I used as a trial yesterday, so it was a good chance to test my plan. A slightly shorter paracord chain should be the perfect length to not hit my knee in the car, and be just within reach or able to drop into a pocket on my bag when attached to an 8 inch keystrap.
    Rambling On. . . . .

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cobra weave is good since it's easy to have solid closed loops at both ends and it's flexible while remaining strong. I wonder why they double the inside strands though, unless it's to maximize the amount of cord should you need to untie it for another purpose.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using a Keybar for several months now which I can either pocket carry via a clip, or my preferred method, attached to a key strap and in the front zippered pocket of my SCB.

Best thing about this is no more jangly keys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Twitter or Instagram @moongooseryan

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LilAve View Post
    I've been using a Keybar for several months now
    Are you happy with it? How easy is it to flip keys out? I was floored when I saw that this gizmo goes for almost $50...
    Today is a good day for a good day!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artdime View Post
    Are you happy with it? How easy is it to flip keys out? I was floored when I saw that this gizmo goes for almost $50...
    I'm really happy with it. I was going to get a similar product on Amazon for half the price, but the negative reviews swayed me toward the Keybar.

American made is what sealed the deal for me. I've dropped it, lost it, put it in my pocket with other items and it's still as good as it was on day one. Right now I have 6 keys in it, but it can expand to hold more. I did have a oddly shaped key that didn't fit, but a quick hardware store trip to have a copy made fixed that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Twitter or Instagram @moongooseryan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3