Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Freudian Slip for laptop and bulky notetaker

Hi Everyone!

I'm considering getting a freudian slip to use in my synapse 19, but trying to decide which size will work best for my purposes. I want to prevent the bag from sagging, and to organise items better so I don't have things sticking into my middle and upper back, which I find happens quite a lot. I've been looking into the MCB and Maker's FS. I'm not that keen on the S19 slip itself, as I want some extra space in the backpack for things that won't fit in the FS like a jumper. I've read through all the relevant forum threads on this I could find, but (understandably) a lot of the posts are pics ratehr than written descriptions, so of limited use to me. Here's what I'm planning to fit in the FS:
    1) Surface 3 tablet w/keyboard. The dimensions are 10.52" x 7.36", not sure how thick it is with the keyboard but not more than 0.5". A bit smaller than a macbook air 11 basically. I don't plan to carry this every day. Would it fit in any of the large FS pockets meant for papers?
    2) Electronic braille notetaker, which I carry all the time. This has given me a bit of grief. it's quite compact at about 7.5x4, but almost 1.5" thick with the case on. I find that unless I position it quite carefully in the S19, it either migrates to the bottom of my bag where it's hard to retrieve or pokes into my back. I'm wondering if something that thick will fit in any of the mesh pockets in either the MCB or MB FS? I've read in various posts that Zojirushi mugs fit, but obviously those are quite a bit smaller.
    3) Phone, small wallet, lip balm, bluetooth earbuds. Again I've been struggling to find a relatively secure but easily accessible place for these near the top of my bag. I've tried attaching a 3doc and then a ZPacks pouch to the webbing loops and putting everything there, but even when I use the loops above the elastic pocket, they still sometimes stick into my back if I have a waterbottle in the waterbottle pocket and nothing else near the top of the main compartment. I've considered putting them in OPs attached to o-rings, but retrieving anything from those with one hand seems difficult. I don't really want to put any of them in the side or front pockets, which in any case are already full.
    4) Five-port USB charger and 1m micro USB cable.
    5) Corded Sennheiser earbuds in a square case about 3.5" wide and just under an inch thick.
    6) Occasionally a muesli bar or other small snack.

Can anyone who owns either the MCB or MB'Swift FS confirm whether the larger items will fit? I'm also curious as to why the MB FS is heavier than the S19 FS, despite being smaller and having fewer pockets.

I'm also sort of unsure whether I should get the FS at all, as I occasionally take my 13 inch Spectre x360 instead of the Surface 3 (sorry for the life story details lol).

Anyway, if anyone is able to shed light on this I'd really appreciate it! XX

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can’t address the Maker’s Bag Freudian Slip. I do have a Medium Café Bag Freudian Slip (MCB FS) that is pretty full. It fits snugly in my Large Café Bag with computer, but fits very nicely in a non-Tom Bihn backpack that’s a bit larger than a Synapse 19.

This is not exactly apples-to-apples, but it will give you an idea of what will fit in a MCB FS.

In the front top slip pockets, I have (left to right): 1) a red pen; 2) small power strip, Wet Wipe, business cards, reading light, and brush; 3) spoon/fork combo; 4) yellow highlighter; 5) Tide stick; and 6) lip balm. In the mesh pockets: left – Iberian Pen Wrap and spare glasses; and right – JBL Clip 2 speaker, which is 5.5 in x 3.7 in x 1.6 in

Freudian Slip for laptop and bulky notetaker-mcb-fs_front_smaller-jpg

In the back sections: zippered pocket which is not shown – crimson mini Cordura Organizer Pouch with first aid stuff and wasabi mini Cordura Organizer Pouch with Post-its and stuff; sleeve – mouse pad, notebook with cover (10 in x 6 in x 0.5 in) and linen medium Double Organizer Pouch (DOP) holding a USB optical drive (10.3 in x 7 in x 1 in); and bottom mesh pocket – USB headset and foldable bowl.

Freudian Slip for laptop and bulky notetaker-mcb-fs_back_smaller-jpg

As you can see, the sleeve isn’t very deep and the DOP is not really secure in there but because the optical drive sits at the bottom half of the pouch, it’s OK. Not sure if a tablet in there would be as secure. It also might not be wide enough for a tablet, once you start loading up the FS. It curves and bends with bulkier items. So, it’s sort of a game of Tetris to get everything to fit and get the slimmest profile.

ETA: By the way, in the bottom mesh pockets in the front, I have carried my power brick for the laptop in one and a full-size Bluetooth mouse and power strip in the other. Those mesh pockets expand quite a bit. Also, the biggest of the slip pockets (the one I have jammed full of stuff) will hold a phone and a Clear Organizer wallet. It's a fairly large pocket.
    Last edited by sujo; 05-12-2017 at 08:33 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sujo View Post
    I can’t address the Maker’s Bag Freudian Slip. I do have a Medium Café Bag Freudian Slip (MCB FS) that is pretty full. It fits snugly in my Large Café Bag with computer, but fits very nicely in a non-Tom Bihn backpack that’s a bit larger than a Synapse 19.

This is not exactly apples-to-apples, but it will give you an idea of what will fit in a MCB FS.

In the front top slip pockets, I have (left to right): 1) a red pen; 2) small power strip, Wet Wipe, business cards, reading light, and brush; 3) spoon/fork combo; 4) yellow highlighter; 5) Tide stick; and 6) lip balm. In the mesh pockets: left – Iberian Pen Wrap and spare glasses; and right – JBL Clip 2 speaker, which is 5.5 in x 3.7 in x 1.6 in

Freudian Slip for laptop and bulky notetaker-mcb-fs_front_smaller-jpg

In the back sections: zippered pocket which is not shown – crimson mini Cordura Organizer Pouch with first aid stuff and wasabi mini Cordura Organizer Pouch with Post-its and stuff; sleeve – mouse pad, notebook with cover (10 in x 6 in x 0.5 in) and linen medium Double Organizer Pouch (DOP) holding a USB optical drive (10.3 in x 7 in x 1 in); and bottom mesh pocket – USB headset and foldable bowl.

Freudian Slip for laptop and bulky notetaker-mcb-fs_back_smaller-jpg

As you can see, the sleeve isn’t very deep and the DOP is not really secure in there but because the optical drive sits at the bottom half of the pouch, it’s OK. Not sure if a tablet in there would be as secure. It also might not be wide enough for a tablet, once you start loading up the FS. It curves and bends with bulkier items. So, it’s sort of a game of Tetris to get everything to fit and get the slimmest profile.

ETA: By the way, in the bottom mesh pockets in the front, I have carried my power brick for the laptop in one and a full-size Bluetooth mouse and power strip in the other. Those mesh pockets expand quite a bit. Also, the biggest of the slip pockets (the one I have jammed full of stuff) will hold a phone and a Clear Organizer wallet. It's a fairly large pocket.
    Thanks a lot Sujo, this is very helpful! Especially the tetris analogy haha. Is there a little extra room at the sides of the sleeve, assuming the front section isn't overloaded? My tablet is 10.5" wide, so just sliiiightly wider than the medium dop.

Do you think the bottom mesh pocket on the side with the sleeve could hold something about as bulky as a paperback book? I tried to upload a picture of it on top of an 8 inch tablet to provide an idea of size, but the upload kept failing for some reason. It's about an inch shorter and narrower than the tablet, but very thick.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ rbc3585 : I don't have a photo of it but I put two 9 in x 6 in x 1 in paperbacks in the bottom mesh pocket in a portrait orientation and they fit, though tight.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing, thanks so much for your help. Will have to add one to my next order!