Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What kind/brand of wallet do you all travel with?

Hi folks,

I noticed tom bihn doesn't make any type of wallet.... but its a pretty common accessory (for travel and not for travel).

Just wondering from a bunch of folks that clearly have the same design ideals as I do (since we are all TB fans) what type of wallet ya'll like to use?

I noticed Red Oxx has one (Rigger Wallet - Nylon Velcro Tri-fold in 12 colors by Red Oxx Mfg.) any other good suggestions in the TB type vein of design, quality, and functionality?

Thanks!

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, TOM BIHN makes a very cool Clear Organizer Wallet -- it's like a mini clear organizer pouch, with two ultrasuede dividers.

TOM BIHN also makes a Passport Pouch, which will nicely accommodate your passport and travel documents.
    -m

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The passport pouch is nice, but I dont really think of the clear organizer wallet as a wallet - maybe that's just me.

Anyone with any suggestions/recommendations on more standard bifold or trifold wallets?

Orange County, CA, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Chums Surfshorts Wallet. I have for years. It's small, light, holds a ton and sits in my front pocket without a bulge.

https://www.chums.com/wallets/surfshorts-wallet
    DLBC, WF, S19, Pilot, DLBP, PCSB, A30, SA plus other misc goodies.
    “Not all those who wander are lost.” - Bilbo Baggins (J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973)

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @vaterp,

The discussion about wallets comes up from time to time -- most recently in the Wallet Recommendation thread, if you'd like to give it a read through:
    https://forums.tombihn.com/not-about...endations.html

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer a double clear organizer pouch, because it's just the size of dollar bills and I can clip inside a SK. It's large but nice and flat.
    I don't like the dividers in the COW. They're too soft and floppy, and bills don't fit in it.

Michigan, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I prefer a double clear organizer pouch, because it's just the size of dollar bills and I can clip inside a SK. It's large but nice and flat.
    I don't like the dividers in the COW. They're too soft and floppy, and bills don't fit in it.
    Oooh, I like this idea. The small OP fits a dollar bill?
    kindness is contagious.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the Small double OP fits dollar bills flat. I'm sure the Small single OP does, too, but I like having two compartments.
    I'm put my drivers license and one credit card in there back to back, so the magnetic strips cancel each other out, but the face of the DL shows.

I keep all my other cards, extra credit cards (back to back) and insurance cards in a separate mini OP, tethered inside another bag.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bermudajes View Post
    Oooh, I like this idea. The small OP fits a dollar bill?
    @bermudajes,

A small double organizer pouch can also fit other currencies, and you can carry it on your wrist with a handle loop, if you choose. Someone on Ravelry wanted a minimalist wallet solution for her mother for a trip to Japan, and that was the configuration we came up with, along with the option to clip another small pouch of her choice to the same handle loop.

However, the original poster asked for "more standard bifold or trifold wallets", so I pointed to the other thread, which has many alternate suggestions that fit this description

moriond

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the pointer!

Colorado Springs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started using the Clear Organizer Wallet for travel a few years ago--like that it clips to a handbag. Soon after, I ditched my regular checkbook wallet, stopped carrying the checkbook, and started using a COW full-time. I like the soft dividers to keep ID separate from credit card and cash. I don't carry much change. Also stopped carrying the extra loyalty cards I didn't need.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Flowfold bifold wallet and really like it. They have several variations available.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I travel with a Bellroy High Rise and a Belllroy card holder.

Would prefer to just use the card holder but there are times and I have been places where cash is necessary and the High Rise fits anything out there.

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an All-ett that I like, and I sewed an O-ring onto it so I can clip it into things. However, lately I've been using the TB Clear Organizer Wallet instead. It fits everything except store punch cards, so I just put those into a Pocket Pouch. (I think all together it probably takes up a little more room than the All-ett did, but I really wanted to use my Forest organizer wallet. :-) )
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi All,

There really have been tons of older threads about wallets in the past, and many of them have pictures. For example, some pictures of the Allett wallets can be found at the end of the Thin, organized wallet --recommendations? thread

They also showed up in the Wallets thread where there was discussion and pictures of the Bellroy wallets.

The Durable men's wallet for carrying coins and a lot of cards? thread discusses MyWalit, the Finn wallets from sfbags, Big Skinny wallets, and polycarbonate selections. And there are probably more links inside those threads. You can also probably find examples of some wallets in various pack up post pictures. I know that I can locate one for a Mighty wallet that way in looking for @jess's post in the What's in my Side Effect? thread.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 07-21-2017 at 07:08 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast