Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you use double carabiner FOR ?
    Happy owner of Original copilot, Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Gave Hubby a Pilot for Christmas!

Connecticut
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    What do you use double carabiner FOR ?
    I use them (and Moriond posted a picture at one point) to hang my Side Effect (or any similar bag/pouch) from the back of an airline seat pouch so that it is handily accessible.
    --------------------------------

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
    I use them (and Moriond posted a picture at one point) to hang my Side Effect (or any similar bag/pouch) from the back of an airline seat pouch so that it is handily accessible.
    Here’s one quoted post:
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    The original version of this Hack for turning a Side Effect into an airline seat pocket bag used Nite-Ize S-biners, but a better solution is to use Double Carabiner Clips, both because the top and bottom halves of the clips can rotate to attach at the optimal position, and also because the large loop design of these clips can also hook into the thicker triangular attachment points of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, where you would normally clip on a shoulder strap.

The Double Carabiner Clips rotate to easily hold the Side Effect in place during the flight:

For the movie demo (with the Side Effect), see Forum Bag Hacks Part I video and start watching at about 1:30 into the sequence. You need a pair of double carabiner clips.

It's possible to use this with the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, but be aware that the longer length and the unreinforced nature of the PCSB means that it can sag if you try to load it up with heavy items. It works better if you have access to 400d Halcyon versions of the PCSB (a limited production run in Spring 2014 when the supply of 200d Dyneema ran out let forum users order the PCSB in the heavier weight 400d Original Nordic and Original Black Halcyon). An alternative way to stiffen the PCSB is to get a medium size Double Organizer Pouch and insert it into the diagonal zippered pocket.

You can read more general comments in the What's the best way to do this? thread. Some people use the 5/8" shoulder strap of the Side Effect to secure it around the drop down tray.

HTH

moriond
    There are also numerous other examples of using these clips for Bag hacking: like turning the Travel Tray into yarn bowl by attaching one end of the clip near the drawstring and having the other serve as a yarn guide on top of the closed Travel Tray. Or there are many instances where you can attach an accessory pouch outside another bag or pouch — @tpnl had lots of examples of this:

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't really need the swivel carabiner for those sorts of uses. A regular non-swivel nite-ize s-binner works great.

Seattle area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
    I had a couple sitting next to me say just last week on the plane that they wanted them now. They saw my side kick hanging and were very jealous of it and the double swivel carabiners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jarret45 View Post
    I just ordered something on amazon that looks very similar to the original double carabiners, since I wasn't able to find them also.

They're still a day away, so I haven't actually seen them in person yet, but here's the link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How did they work out?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRD View Post
    How did they work out?
    Perfectly for what I want, which is to connect the side effect to the molle straps on the inside of my GR1. I'll also use them for the airplane seat pocket hack.

https://imgur.com/a/Lmqyjb2

Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jarret45 View Post
    Perfectly for what I want, which is to connect the side effect to the molle straps on the inside of my GR1. I'll also use them for the airplane seat pocket hack.

https://imgur.com/a/Lmqyjb2
    I’m so happy to hear that I would have used them the same way. I have a stockpile of the old ones TB used to sell but I live in fear that I’ll break them. I’ll keep this in mind as a backup.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2