Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12.9‑inch iPad Pro and Pencil Organization

I looked high and low for a cover/sleeve/case for my 12.9‑inch iPad Pro that would also house the Apple Pencil, and couldn't find anything to my liking until I came back here to TB!

I ended up with the following setup:

For the 12.9‑inch iPad Pro, I use a Vertical iPad Pro 12.9" w/ Keyboard Cache. The vertical orientation allows me to plug in the iPad with the Cache flap open, and the slight extra thickness of the Keyboard Cache allows me to slide in the following for the Apple Pencil:

For the Apple Pencil, I use a Size 3: External Dimensions - 9.5" x 3.5" Knitting Tool Pouch. This works perfectly for the Pencil, and has extra room for EarPods, a screen cleaning cloth, Pencil tips, Lightning adapter, and the Pencil cap when charging the Pencil.

When on the move, I just slide the iPad into the Cache and then slide the Knitting Pouch on top of the iPad inside the Cache. Close the Cache flap, and all is good for transporting the iPad.

When stationary, I can fold the Cache, or use it flat, as a support for the iPad.

And finally, when traveling with my Synapse 25, TriStar, or MCB, I just slide the whole Cache assembly into the bag of my choice, and I'm on my way.

Enjoy!

BC Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This set up sounds interesting. I haven't bought the apple pencil yet, but I have the 10.5 inch iPad Pro with keyboard. I think the keyboard case has a loop for the pencil, but I would be wary of carrying it that way. I didn't even think about a knitting tool pouch and cache as a carry solution. Great idea!

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought this case for my 12.9" iPad Pro and my Maker's Bag. Works pretty well! Slot for Apple Pencil, business cards, papers and an iPad Pro with smart keyboard case.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Family, Guitar, Design, Travel....get after it!

Forum Member
    Bordeaux, Paris
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use an Otter Box case for my 10.5" iPad Pro, and it has a slot for the Apple Pencil in the cover. I believe the same company has a similar case for the larger iPad Pro.
    With this case, I can just throw it in any (Tom Binh!) bag without a cache or additional sleeve.
    Note that it only fits the iPad Pro, not the keyboard case, so if you want a keyboard, you will need to carry an external one.

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second the Otterbox Defender case for the 10.5" iPad Pro and the secure way it holds the Apple Pencil.

I have used the Otterbox Defender cases for years with all my iphones and various ipads. I would not trust any other case for such an expensive piece of equipment, totally worth the money. I wish they would come up with some more colors though!

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second the Otterbox Defender case for the 10.5" iPad Pro and the secure way it holds the Apple Pencil.

I have used the Otterbox Defender cases for years with all my iphones and various ipads. I would not trust any other case for such an expensive piece of equipment, totally worth the money. I wish they would come up with some more colors though!

Forum Member
    Greater Boston
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 9.7" iPad Pro with the Smart Keyboard. I had been carrying it in the horizontal cache and just kept the pencil in a medium pouch, along with other cables, adapters, etc. I recently discovered the Stylus Sling (https://www.stylussling.com/), which slips over the iPad cover. It works great, and the iPad + Smart Keyboard + Stylus Sling fit perfectly in the cache. I suspect this will work well with the 12.9" iPad Pro (the Sling comes in two sizes).
    Owner of Burnt Orange/Steel Daylight Briefcase , Burnt Orange/Steel Aeronaut 45, Black Dyneema/Wasabi Pilot, Crimson/Steel Western Flyer, Forest/Steel Zephyr, Olive/Cayenne Ristretto for iPad, Olive/Cork/Steel and Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Nordic/Ultraviolet, Linen/Steel and Conifer/Steel SCB, Steel Breve, Plum/Black Swift, Steel FJN, and various packing cubes, organizer pouches, caches, and other odds and ends.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Following with great interest.

As a musician, I'm looking at purchasing an iPad pro to replace carrying loads of sheet music around... (Or should I $ave and get an Android tablet?)

But either way, would need a TB something to carry it!

Forum Member
    Minnesota
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    Following with great interest.

As a musician, I'm looking at purchasing an iPad pro to replace carrying loads of sheet music around... (Or should I $ave and get an Android tablet?)

But either way, would need a TB something to carry it!
    I got the 12.9” Pro a couple years ago. It has replaced my 13” MBPro and my binders of sheet music. I use ForScore to organize my sheet music and it’s super easy to connect it with Dropbox, google drive, the new Files app, and a bunch of other resources.
    Boots, Bags, and Beer. (And Coffee)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What TB bag do you use to carry it?

Also, how did you decide Pro over Galaxy or other tablet? I'm a Mac fan, just feeling a wee bit of pain at the initial cost, and wondering if the others have caught up yet.
    Happy owner of Original copilot, Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Gave Hubby a Pilot for Christmas!

Forum Member
    Minnesota
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a cache for it and usually carry it in my Maker’s Bag.

As to why, I haven’t been impressed by any of the android tablets. I don’t think it is like it is with phones where there are plenty of options that aren’t Apple; for tablets, I keep coming back to the iPad. Granted, I also am an Apple fan so being able to seamlessly connect my iPad and phone is a huge plus as well. Yeah, the price on the pros is steep, but for me it’s my laptop. I use it every day for a few hours, I carry it with me pretty much everywhere, and it would be worth it to me even if I only used it for sheet music. Up until August, I was playing in five or six groups on different instruments, so this helped me stay organized and never bring the wrong music to a gig. And when I have thousands of pages of music, it is nice to have it all with me if I decide to work on something different for the day.
    Boots, Bags, and Beer. (And Coffee)