Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Small snake charmer as breakfast bag

For the most part, I stay at hotels that include breakfast, but sometimes we don't and that's where this snake charmer comes in handy. We are small eaters, and paying $15-20 for the hotel breakfast just isn't a value for us.

Small snake charmer as breakfast bag-img_0355-jpg

So on one side, I have an immersion heater with a selection of teas, as well as Trader Joe's all in one coffee with cream and sugar. On the other side, I have collapsible silicone 10 oz cereal bowls, some spoons, and packets of instant oatmeal or grits. We always carry at least one Klean Kanteen double wall thermos for heating the water, and every hotel these days seems to have cups. The hotel we stayed at this past weekend didn't serve breakfast until 9 am (and they were late both days) so being able to have a little something was helpful.
    Proud owner of: Luminary in cloud/cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, SE's in black ballistic/iberian and steel parapack, SSB in black dyneema and black halcyon, Steel dyneema/steel Pilot, numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps and Cubelets!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the bowls! And I didn't know about the Trader Joe's all in one coffees, I'm going to get some for my hubby.
    Black Dynema S19 & SE, Black/Navy SA, BLACK/Grey Brain Bag, French Blue & Red Blend SCBs, Linen MCB, Steel MB, Black Cadet, Steel & Sitka LSB, UV & NWS SSB, Fjord PCSB, & MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @sturbridge That's cool! I'd never heard of an immersion heater before now, and it seems really handy. How long does it normally take to heat water enough for coffee?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The immersion heater takes a couple of minutes. A lot of hotels have coffee makers, but using that to make hot water for tea makes the tea taste like coffee.
    Last edited by sturbridge; 09-19-2017 at 02:12 AM.
    Proud owner of: Luminary in cloud/cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, SE's in black ballistic/iberian and steel parapack, SSB in black dyneema and black halcyon, Steel dyneema/steel Pilot, numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps and Cubelets!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a set of those same bowls and a similar set up. I usually travel for work and sometimes leave for the office early. I usually grab a couple of oatmeal packets and some tea bags from breakfast bar to eat at the office. However, a lot of times, the offices didn't have bowls or even plastic cutlery. So, I started carrying an Eagle Creek medium pouch with a bowl, plastic spoon/fork combo and food/drink items. I used to carry the immersion heater but never used it. I always seem to have access to a microwave or some other means of getting hot water.

I like your setup, though. I've been curious about the small Snake Charmer. I have one in the original size (olive parapack). After seeing this, I might be persuaded to try a small SC.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is awesome and I'm going to Toronto in two weeks.

Any links to the bowls? Or to an immersion heater? The oatmeal idea is perfect. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeBru View Post
    Love the bowls! And I didn't know about the Trader Joe's all in one coffees, I'm going to get some for my hubby.
    I have used that TJs coffee for camping it the past, and it's so convenient! It's also my "emergency back-up coffee" stashed in the cupboard for the day I run out of the real stuff and need a caffeine fix. (Writing that made me think of Homer Simpson's "emergency hams" for some reason )

For taste, the TJs variety cannot beat the Nescafe 3-in1 that doesn't seem to be available in the States.
    "When action grows unprofitable, gather information; when information grows unprofitable, sleep."
    Ursula K. Le Guin
    The Left Hand of Darkness

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the problem with water for tea tasting like coffee also. The last time I was in a hotel, I removed the part of the coffee maker where you would put the coffee so that the water didn't even pass through that. No coffee taste in my hot water

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any links to the bowls? Or to an immersion heater? T
    Here's the bowl:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1and here's the immersion heater:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for this

I don't usually stay in hotels that don't have breakfast on-site, but I will be, this weekend. The collapsible silicone bowls look appealing, and thankfully, available in the UK. We usually have hot water kettles in the rooms, rather than a coffee maker, so I might be able to take some hot cereal with me for breakfast.

We have the same colour small snake charmer. Is yours a small or large snake charmer?
    I love my Burnt Orange Medium Cafe Bag, Black MCB, and Azure LCB.
    The Preciouses: A45 in black/zest, (original) Yeoman Duffel in verde, Mini Yeoman Duffel in Burnt Orange, the S19 in black/ultraviolet, and the MB in black/northwest sky; Shop Bags in zest, monarch, sitka, fjord, and island.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is yours a small or large snake charmer?
    It's the small one.