Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The total size of the quarter packing cube is 2.7 liters. However, if you just use half for carry on liquids, you are barely over. I use half for liquids and half for my shaver and non liquid items. Only once in the last couple years has it been an issue. It was in London Heathrow.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nessagr View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone has used the clear quarter packing cube as your carry-on liquids bag, and if so, did you have any trouble at security? I'm curious about both US and airports abroad. Thanks!
    FWIW, Iíve traveled extensively in both the US and internationally (including LHR) using the 3DOC as my liquids bag. Like others who have posted, I separate the true liquids on one side from other non-liquid items on the other side. I know itís up to the discretion of the screener, and I always do have a quart-size baggie with me, but so far - (knock wood) - Iíve never been questioned or asked to transfer my liquids into the baggie. Since joining TSA Precheck 2-3 years ago, Iíve never had to take the 3DOC out of my bag for any domestic flight/airport. I wouldnít be so cavalier as to not have the baggie with me, but for me at least, itís worked beautifully as my not-technically-okay 311.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nessagr View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone has used the clear quarter packing cube as your carry-on liquids bag, and if so, did you have any trouble at security? I'm curious about both US and airports abroad. Thanks!
    Correction: I think in my reply a few minutes ago, I used ď3DOCĒ when I meant ďclear quarter packing cubeĒ. Maybe one of the moderators will catch it, but if itís posted incorrectly, let me clarify: For all my travel across the past several years, both international and domestic, Iíve used the CLEAR QUARTER PACKING CUBE - (not the 3DOC) - with liquids on one side and non-liquids on the other, and have never been asked to move the liquids to a baggie.

Forum Member
    Palo Alto
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The London version of TSA is crazy strict, or maybe just crazy. I had my 3-1-1 baggie (correct bag and size) and got pulled over at London City airport and told that my SOLID deodorant had to go into the bag. I argued that as a solid it was exempt, and kid you not, guy says, 'but it can be melted down to liquid form." Well, yes, so can my wedding ring, but I checked my acetylene torch, dude. We could try to melt my husband's chocolate, or your cheap polyester uniform.

Of course I had to not say any other than, throw out my Downy Wrinkle release and stuff the duo in the bag. Flyers just cannot talk back to those people and risk not flying that day.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globetrottngal View Post
    The London version of TSA is crazy strict, or maybe just crazy. I had my 3-1-1 baggie (correct bag and size) and got pulled over at London City airport and told that my SOLID deodorant had to go into the bag. I argued that as a solid it was exempt, and kid you not, guy says, 'but it can be melted down to liquid form." Well, yes, so can my wedding ring, but I checked my acetylene torch, dude. We could try to melt my husband's chocolate, or your cheap polyester uniform.

Of course I had to not say any other than, throw out my Downy Wrinkle release and stuff the duo in the bag. Flyers just cannot talk back to those people and risk not flying that day.
    They do that with lip balm as well. All UK airports are like that. It's national protocol. We tend to buy toiletries airside or on arrival instead. This is why airside shopping in all UK airports has multiple branches of Boots (a drugstore) Clear Quarter Packing Cube as a 3-1-1 liquids bag

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gqb View Post
    They do that with lip balm as well. All UK airports are like that.
    All New Zealand and Australian airports are like that too. The term "liquids, aerosols and gels" covers anything that can be smeared, sprayed or poured, which includes solid deodorant and lip balm, but not your wedding ring
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to UK CAA document CAP 1555 http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/...20security.pdf Solid deodorants and bar soaps are not considered a liquid, gel or paste and don't have to go in the bag.

The last few times I went through airport security in the UK, they were insisting that everything had to go in a ziploc style bag. If that bag was in another clear bag, then it was okay. They didn't want anyone taking more than could fit in the ziploc. They even offer them for free at security. (Theirs are cool because they have a handle)

At London City Airport (LCY) they even had one person going down the line asking to see everyone's liquids bag before they got to the actual belt. If she saw anything that was either too big or didn't comply bag wise, she would inform the passenger to save time once at the belt.
    Last edited by Frank II; 03-25-2018 at 09:37 AM.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    Austin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fly about ten times a month and even when Pre Check is closed, I never take my liquids out. Every airport in the world has signs that say to take out the liquids, but nobody does and nobody cares. I've stopped using a clear bag and use my regular dopp kit. Security doesn't care.

Except for Heathrow. I can't stand that airport. I keep a stupid plastic baggie and dump the liquids in there when I have to fly through, and even then they sometimes flag me and transfer all my liquids to a different plastic bag. They're insane.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    The reason we are asked to place items in a separate bin from our carry-on bag is to make screening easier and faster for everyone. If all my items are left in my bag, it takes the screening person longer to review my bag. This slows down the entire process, making the line much slower.

By putting my liquid items in a ziplock bag and placing the ziplock bag into a 3-DOC by Tom Bihn, I can tether it with a Key Strap, so that it doesn't get misplaced.

In this way, I am also ensuring that I am not holding up the screening process. While this is rarely a problem at smaller airports, it really helps at the larger and busier ones. LA and Chicago have had security lines that took over two hours because of the high volume of passengers.

It goes faster if passengers are prepared, so I try to do my part to help. elisa

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you look at amazon for 311 /tsa toiletries bags, you'll see a majority that are 8x6x3 (or 8x7). they are the same footprint of a ziplock but making them at a thickness much greater than 1 quart. i have used these (2 in the end pocket of an a45... 1 for liquide toiletries and 1 for the rest) for years with not a single challenge on their total volume. an 8x6x3 bag is 2.49qt. i wish tb made a toiletries bag that interpreted the limits in this way. some have suggested turning the 3DOC inside out, but thats a little too janky with the zippers then being on the inside.

this is he one i use in my a45 -- https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

evolution of this for my packing might be two 3DOC and a firstaid pouch in the end of an a45 but that might be a bit cramped.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2