1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clear Quarter Packing Cube as a 3-1-1 liquids bag

I'm wondering if anyone has used the clear quarter packing cube as your carry-on liquids bag, and if so, did you have any trouble at security? I'm curious about both US and airports abroad. Thanks!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I canít speak about the quarter cube, as I donít have one. I use the 3DOC and have room to spare.

No problems so far at Canadian or US airports where I donít have PreCheck. With PreCheck, definitely no problem.

However, I did have a problem at Heathrow back in the day with a similar pre-TB type of bag like this. Despite having used that bag at countless US airports, at Heathrow I had to transfer the liquids to a ziplock baggie they had available. If youíre doing international travel, it might be worthwhile to pack a spare baggie, just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't use the quarter packing cube. It has to be completely see through on both sides.

The way around the problem at Heathrow is to put your liquids in one of their clear ziplock back and put that in the 3DOC. It's worked for some.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    The TSA rule states that your 311 liquids bag must be a quart sized bag. While it does not state that it must be a plastic zip-top baggie, many airport security screeners insist upon it. They might provide one, if you don't have one.

The Clear Quarter Packing Cube is 2.7 liters. That's 2.85 quarts. It's more than twice the allowable size for a 311 bag.

The 3D Organizer Cube is 1 liter. That's 1.05 quarts. It's usually allowed as a 311 bag.

I put a zip-top baggie in the bottom of my 3D Organizer Cube. Then I load my 311 items. Then I have the baggie ready in case it's needed.

If you want your toiletries in a different bag during your trip, place your 311 items into a zip-top baggie. Then after clearing the security screening, you may move your items into your preferred bag.

Happy travels! elisa

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Frank,

Thanks for responding. I have actually been using these for the past 8 years: https://www.myrume.com/collections/a...s/reveal-quart and while they are called "reveal" they are not see-through at all on either side, and I've had no problems in the US, Europe, or South America.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those bags are semi-see through while the quarter packing cube is only visible on one side. The rules state liquids must be in a clear, quart sized zip lock bag. What bags are allowed beyond this is at the discretion of the screener.

In the UK they are now insisting everyone use a ziploc type bag. These are readily available just prior to security. I like them because they have a handle. In fact, at London City airport they had a screener going down the line waiting for security asking to see the 3-1-1 bag. If it didn't meet with approval you were sent back to change it.

Security rules are changing in 2018 so while you might have gotten away with the bag you've been using, and you still may, I highly doubt you could get away with a quarter packing cube. But, you could always try it. Just make sure you have a backup plan.
    Last edited by Frank II; 01-12-2018 at 05:54 AM.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nessagr View Post
    Security rules are changing in 2018 so while you might have gotten away with the bag you've been using, and you still may, I highly doubt you could get away with a quarter packing cube. But, you could always try it. Just make sure you have a backup plan.
    I agree about a backup plan, and know it's bending the rules a bit, which is why I wanted to see if anyone else has tried and gotten away with it. I like Elisa's idea that I should plan to bring a zip-lock baggie in case there are issues. My biggest concern is my contact lenses. I was considering using daily disposables for the first time, but they would take up most of the 3-1-1 bag, so my thought was to keep most liquid toiletries on one side (the one facing up in the tray so they can see them), and then on the other side, keep my "dry" toiletries and my contacts.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Elisa,

Thanks for your reply. Last year I traveled to Paris with a friend whose 3-1-1 bag was a quilted toiletry pack that when unrolled fully was about a foot long. I was shocked that she could get away with that, but she travels frequently and her explanation was that everything was under 100ml so she'd never had an issue. It made me wonder how rigid the guidelines really are about the size/format of the bag, understanding that it depends on the people who screen you that particular time and place to choose to enforce the guidelines or not.

Since I would only have liquids on one side of the packing cube, keeping dry toiletries on the other, in my mind the liquids are still contained within the indicated size parameters. I recognize this is subject to interpretation, so I think your idea about the ziplock is smart. I just worry two weeks' worth of disposable contacts would fill the baggie over capacity.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    Can someone confirm if contact lenses are counted in the 311 liquids category or are they considered to be in the medical needs category? elisa

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Purpose of the 3-1-1 is to limit the total volume of any liquids that could be carried, so Clear Cube is definitely too big for TSA; stick to the 3DOC. You would have to put the liquids in a ziploc that could be pulled out seperately. The only time I have had issues with int'l travel were not about the ziploc but that foreign security was limiting people to 5 individual items in the 3-1-1 bag for flights going to USA from Costa Rica. Four years and 100+ trips with the 3DOC I never had any other issue, including more recent trips to Costa Rica and one to Spain.

Can't confirm on the contact lens cleaner, but I doubt it. Exception is generally intended to accommodate things that can't be made to conform to the 3-1-1 limit. Plenty of travel-friendly cleaners out there.
    Last edited by imperator; 01-12-2018 at 10:24 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
    Greetings,
    Can someone confirm if contact lenses are counted in the 311 liquids category or are they considered to be in the medical needs category? elisa
    I didn't even think about them being a prescription! I checked the TSA site for medications and it says that if I declare them, I don't need to have them in my 3-1-1 bag. I'll put the liquids in a baggie in the clear cube, then take it out at screening along with the contacts, and I can keep all my toiletries together and be within all the regulations. Thank you so much everyone for all your help!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
    Greetings,
    Another contact lens wearer here. Yes, contact lens solutions are counted as medical needs. Just put them in a separate bag and point them out as contact lens solutions. This has worked fine for me at airports in New Zealand, Australia, Japan and China, without any questions.

Before I realised this, I used to put the solutions in a bag with my other toiletries which meant two problems. The first was that it was a tight fit. The second was that I couldn't get the wetting solution in a small enough size (I wear gas permeable lenses so there are now limited products available), so I'd buy that at my destination which was a nuisance.

What I learned from that is that the major brands of contact lens products are available in many countries, and the packaging looks the same, but in different languages. Take photos of what you use, and use these in the pharmacy to identify what you need. Better still, go to the manufacturers website for the particular country you're going to, find the products you use (use Google Translate where necessary), and take a screenshot. This really helps when lens solution shopping.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use clear organizer pouches all the time for my liquids on both international and domestic flights and have never had an issue with them. I do only pack where you can see all the items in the pouch. I downsize all my products to smaller containers. I keep them clipped to my bag on the outside when going through security.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kajikaiko View Post
    I use clear organizer pouches all the time for my liquids on both international and domestic flights and have never had an issue with them. I do only pack where you can see all the items in the pouch. I downsize all my products to smaller containers. I keep them clipped to my bag on the outside when going through security.
    Thanks, good to know!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a CQPC as my travel toiletries kit, but I keep the liquids in a zip lock in one side and slip them out if needed. Also helps with leaks to keep things clean. I put all my dry stuff and shave gear in the opposite side.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast