1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricard View Post
    Yes! I will!

1/ Is there any chance you can share a pic with the packing cubes outside the bag as they are stuffed?

2/ So the 3DOC fits the side pocket? Do you, or some one else know witsh cubes/trays that fits the side pockets?

3/ Anyone who knows about a S35/S40 in the production pipe?

Cheers from Sweden!
    1. Do you mean a side-by-side of the cubes I used? Sure thing, I can do that later tonight. Do you want stuffed to the max (i.e. overstuffed)? Or just normally full?

2. In my opinion the 3DOC isn't as good a fit in the side pockets as something more cylindrical in shape like a Small Q-Kit or a Size 1 Travel Stuff Sack, because it encroaches slightly on the water bottle space, but that might not matter to you if your water bottle is slender. Also, generally speaking, the clear sides of any pouch don't slide in and out of other bags as well as the all-fabric or mesh options.

3. Not that we know of but I would also be very interested!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello there! Congrats on your choice of the Synapse 25, an endlessly useful and delightful bag (and I'm not a backpack lover to begin with).

I don't have a lot of packing cubes to compare, but my experience is that the A45 large packing cube, which is exactly the same width as the S25 (13.4") does fit, but if you pack the cube full it is a very tight squeeze.

I usually use a medium Tri-Star packing cube (12.8" x 11.3" x 2.4") for my clothes, and then a smaller stuff sack for small things: underthings and socks etc. The smaller stuff goes in the bottom pocket, usually, along with seasonal stuff, like bathing suits / towels / gloves / hat, an extra tote bag...I like to keep soft stuff that I might need to get access to in that bottom front pocket.

I put my toiletries inside the bag above the bigger packing cube since they usually goes in last. I use different bags for those depending on if I'm flying or not, but the snake charmers, large and small, fit very nicely in that curved top.

Sadly, I don't see the Tri-Star medium packing cube for sale on the website anymore, in either halcyon or aether. The large A30 (12" x 12" x 4.3") is a bit smaller and wider, perhaps someone else has used it and can comment on how it might work.

My main point is that if you are the kind of disciplined person who can underpack, I think you can get away with using the A45 large packing cube. If you're like me though, I'd rather break things up into smaller containers rather than one giant cube. I think in one of the S25 forum threads people talk about doing this, like using some of the more oblong cubes in multiples to have more flexibility.

Another thing, I keep my computer cache in the pocket side, not the back side, and it's hard to slide a computer (or anything) out of the main compartment if it's got a stuffed packing cube completely filling the space, which the A45 large cube tends to do.

Sorry to use inches not metric
    Last edited by blueflax; 02-08-2018 at 01:39 PM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    1. Do you mean a side-by-side of the cubes I used? Sure thing, I can do that later tonight. Do you want stuffed to the max (i.e. overstuffed)? Or just normally full?

2. In my opinion the 3DOC isn't as good a fit in the side pockets as something more cylindrical in shape like a Small Q-Kit or a Size 1 Travel Stuff Sack, because it encroaches slightly on the water bottle space, but that might not matter to you if your water bottle is slender. Also, generally speaking, the clear sides of any pouch don't slide in and out of other bags as well as the all-fabric or mesh options.

3. Not that we know of but I would also be very interested!
    1. Yes I do and if it's ok, don't make the cube look like a football but not half empty. Stuff it so it is filled but dont poke out. (was that understandable? This is not my mothertounge ...)

2. Good info about the side pockets! Thanks!

3. OK. If they start S30-35 I will decently choose S19 and the larger one. A good combo for all occasions, don't you think?

4. (a new) The reason why I ask about the A45 large packing cube is because I want to know the limits. Do you think there is any cubes that can go in two layers? When I travel I use to have a larger pc for jeans/sweeters/shirts and two medium or small for t-shirts and underwear. In the Synapse the other stuff are organized in all the pockets!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blueflax View Post
    Hello there! Congrats on your choice of the Synapse 25, an endlessly useful and delightful bag (and I'm not a backpack lover to begin with).

I don't have a lot of packing cubes to compare, but my experience is that the A45 large packing cube, which is exactly the same width as the S25 (13.4") does fit, but if you pack the cube full it is a very tight squeeze.

I usually use a medium Tri-Star packing cube (12.8" x 11.3" x 2.4") for my clothes, and then a smaller stuff sack for small things: underthings and socks etc. The smaller stuff goes in the bottom pocket, usually, along with seasonal stuff, like bathing suits / towels / gloves / hat, an extra tote bag...I like to keep soft stuff that I might need to get access to in that bottom front pocket.

I put my toiletries inside the bag above the bigger packing cube since they usually goes in last. I use different bags for those depending on if I'm flying or not, but the snake charmers, large and small, fit very nicely in that curved top.

Sadly, I don't see the Tri-Star medium packing cube for sale on the website anymore, in either halcyon or aether. The large A30 (12" x 12" x 4.3") is a bit smaller and wider, perhaps someone else has used it and can comment on how it might work.

My main point is that if you are the kind of disciplined person who can underpack, I think you can get away with using the A45 large packing cube. If you're like me though, I'd rather break things up into smaller containers rather than one giant cube. I think in one of the S25 forum threads people talk about doing this, like using some of the more oblong cubes in multiples to have more flexibility.

Another thing, I keep my computer cache in the pocket side, not the back side, and it's hard to slide a computer (or anything) out of the main compartment if it's got a stuffed packing cube completely filling the space, which the A45 large cube tends to do.

Sorry to use inches not metric
    Hi Bluefax!

Congrats on your choice of the Synapse 25, an endlessly useful and delightful bag (and I'm not a backpack lover to begin with).
    Thanks!
    I have not yet purchased it. The reason is "layers" of taxes and duties. (51%)
    This is my shopping cart:
    Handle loop
    8" keystrap
    16" keystrap
    Cache 15" MBP
    S25 (bk bal./wasabi)
    S25 internal frame
    Guardian light
    Travel tray S
    HOP S
    COW (wallet)
    DOP S
    DOP M
    SC L
    TC
    /563USD + shipment and Swedish taxes wich build up to 918USD. Inspite of this hefty and totally over the top expensive bag I will do this. When I whink of it, I can probably go to NY on a budget ticket, spend a weekend and get the bag and stuff delivered to a friend in NY, so I can bring it on my back when I return home, for the same money. Jet lag and a lot of New yorkers is included!

I would rather have cubes in two layers. We'll se how this can work. Do you know any combination where you can have two layers of packing cubes in the main compartment?

I am a speculant on the a flat dop kit that Eagel C has.

Exiting!

More pockets/cubes is what I think is freedom.

Good to know! Great help! Thank you!!!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Layers - this is what I think about:
    Synapse 25 - packing cubes and accessories-skärmklipp-2018-02-08-22-52-28-png

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Yes I do and if it's ok, don't make the cube look like a football but not half empty. Stuff it so it is filled but dont poke out. (was that understandable? This is not my mothertounge ...)

2. Good info about the side pockets! Thanks!

3. OK. If they start S30-35 I will decently choose S19 and the larger one. A good combo for all occasions, don't you think?

4. (a new) The reason why I ask about the A45 large packing cube is because I want to know the limits. Do you think there is any cubes that can go in two layers? When I travel I use to have a larger pc for jeans/sweeters/shirts and two medium or small for t-shirts and underwear. In the Synapse the other stuff are organized in all the pockets!
    I will take some more pics tomorrow since I have a better idea of how you want to pack, but tonight you'll get to see the cubes side by side.

This is a full but not stuffed A45 cube, a full but not stuffed PCSB, and a totally stuffed PCSB.

This is the difference in length between the two types:

Two Snake Charmers. The Halcyon version is more flexible and therefore won't keep its shape as well, but even still the large version can get quite wide when full:

More pics tomorrow.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry, I don't know enough about which cubes might suit you. You might email TB customer service and get their recommendations...especially since you are about to take a deep dive into Tom Bihn mania!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know about a large PC and also two medium/small PCs fitting. I think the S25 is more of an either/or for those once you account for toiletries, charging cables, etc. Would you like to post pics or the dimensions of the cubes you already have?

Here are some pics of the PCSBs layered inside the S25. Now please note that if the bottom pocket were stuffed full, it would encroach a bit on the bottom of the big pocket and would make this a tight squeeze indeed (the folder is pretending to be a laptop).

I put this small cube on top since I had much more top space:

And then I had room for a large SC:

And this is what they looked like/ the orientation they were in:

If you are good at not overstuffing your cubes I am sure you could make it work but if you're an overstuffer you might struggle with this bag.

Hope this helps!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    I don't know about a large PC and also two medium/small PCs fitting. I think the S25 is more of an either/or for those once you account for toiletries, charging cables, etc. Would you like to post pics or the dimensions of the cubes you already have?

Here are some pics of the PCSBs layered inside the S25. Now please note that if the bottom pocket were stuffed full, it would encroach a bit on the bottom of the big pocket and would make this a tight squeeze indeed (the folder is pretending to be a laptop).

I put this small cube on top since I had much more top space:

And then I had room for a large SC:

And this is what they looked like/ the orientation they were in:

If you are good at not overstuffing your cubes I am sure you could make it work but if you're an overstuffer you might struggle with this bag.

Hope this helps!
    I am just so unbelievably jealous of all those Sitka accessories. I managed to score a Sitka pcsb last year on eBay, I came to TB after it was being phased out and didn't realize how much I loved it. I would have bought everything left!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by melminimalist View Post
    I am just so unbelievably jealous of all those Sitka accessories. I managed to score a Sitka pcsb last year on eBay, I came to TB after it was being phased out and didn't realize how much I loved it. I would have bought everything left!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    I was taken by surprise as well! I normally go for blue-green. If I decide to pass any of my Sitka items on I will keep you in mind. :-)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face What a community! <°))))>>(

(OT: what is sitka?)

CHRISTINA!

You are so helpful and the pictures helps me really a lot! My basket is 1850USD right now. (TS with PC and cache /A45 with PC/S25 with PC, fram and cache) That is so over what my teacher salary can bare so now I am thinking of witch TB-bag that won't come to Sweden ... Sad day indeed.

Berst regards and thanks a lot for all input! What a community this forum is! You make this more of family and community than a customer sort of place ... Well done!

Ricard

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ps. the PCSB may not be my style, but I looked into the size and found a PC that was close to perfect in match, so it helped me! ds.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (OT: what is sitka?)

CHRISTINA!

You are so helpful and the pictures helps me really a lot! My basket is 1850USD right now. (TS with PC and cache /A45 with PC/S25 with PC, fram and cache) That is so over what my teacher salary can bare so now I am thinking of witch TB-bag that won't come to Sweden ... Sad day indeed.

Berst regards and thanks a lot for all input! What a community this forum is! You make this more of family and community than a customer sort of place ... Well done!

Ricard
    Happy to help! :-) Oh I know what it is like to have to take the items out of the TB cart. So hard!!

Sitka is the green color of the A45 PCBP and one of my PCSBs. The blue one is Fjord. Neither are made anymore but both colors have a lot of fans on here (myself included of course).

Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2