1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any suggestions about how to pack a medium DOP inside an S25? Primarily using it for travel.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewlef View Post
    Any suggestions about how to pack a medium DOP inside an S25? Primarily using it for travel.
    It would almost certainly fit in the bottom pocket, but it might not make great use of the space. It could slot into the pocket inside the main pocket or hang from the o-ring.

Or it is possible that the contents might be better off in something else. Depends on what it is and how often you'll need to access it while traveling.

Can you provide any more details?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    It would almost certainly fit in the bottom pocket, but it might not make great use of the space. It could slot into the pocket inside the main pocket or hang from the o-ring.

Or it is possible that the contents might be better off in something else. Depends on what it is and how often you'll need to access it while traveling.

Can you provide any more details?
    I plan to use to DOP to hold paper copies of travel itineraries*, boarding passes (which I save/collect), passport, foreign currencies, cards that don't fit in my wallet, etc. Some of those items could be moved to other places, but I can't figure out a good place to relocate boarding passes and printed itineraries.

*Of course, I'd prefer not to carry travel itineraries with me, but some airports specifically require having a printed ticket/itinerary to even enter the airport terminal building (such as MNL). Other times, I need to present onward tickets when flying to/from foreign locations on separate tickets/carriers (which I often do). So, while it can be a pain to carry the paper docs, they are necessary in many cases. I'd consider a Small DOP, but I don't think it would be big enough to hold boarding passes without folding them.

Using the S25 for one bag travel. It's currently packed as follows:

Bottom Pocket: Rain shell and ultralight down jacket.
    Top Pocket: 3-1-1 bag and 4L dry sack.
    Middle Pocket: Eye mask and earplugs.
    Left Pocket: 3DO holding non-liquid toiletries.
    Right Pocket: Hard glasses case (sun and rx glasses).
    Main Compartment: iPad cache (affixed to rearmost loops), Side Effect (power bank, cables, world plug, earbuds -- affixed to frontmost loops) and small packing cube (underwear/socks).
    Main Compartment Pocket: Medium packing cube (t-shirts and fleece).

Currently, I have the medium DOP attached to the iPad cache and also tethered to one of the o-rings. It's not an ideal situation, as I must remove the cache and then remove the DOP from the cache in order to access its contents.

The only other placement that could work is inside the main compartment pocket, though it's a bit hard to access due to the Side Effect anchored above it. The DOP technically fits in the bottom front pocket (as you mentioned), but I have better uses in mind for that pocket.

Here's a photo of how I currently have it setup. It's hard to tell, but it's strapped in to the iPad cache. The cache, in turn, is on the default rails:
    Synapse 25 - packing cubes and accessories-file-apr-16-10-00-55-am-jpeg

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I plan to use to DOP to hold paper copies of travel itineraries*, boarding passes (which I save/collect), passport, foreign currencies, cards that don't fit in my wallet, etc. Some of those items could be moved to other places, but I can't figure out a good place to relocate boarding passes and printed itineraries.

*Of course, I'd prefer not to carry travel itineraries with me, but some airports specifically require having a printed ticket/itinerary to even enter the airport terminal building (such as MNL). Other times, I need to present onward tickets when flying to/from foreign locations on separate tickets/carriers (which I often do). So, while it can be a pain to carry the paper docs, they are necessary in many cases. I'd consider a Small DOP, but I don't think it would be big enough to hold boarding passes without folding them.

Using the S25 for one bag travel. It's currently packed as follows:

Bottom Pocket: Rain shell and ultralight down jacket.
    Top Pocket: 3-1-1 bag and 4L dry sack.
    Middle Pocket: Eye mask and earplugs.
    Left Pocket: 3DO holding non-liquid toiletries.
    Right Pocket: Hard glasses case (sun and rx glasses).
    Main Compartment: iPad cache (affixed to rearmost loops), Side Effect (power bank, cables, world plug, earbuds -- affixed to frontmost loops) and small packing cube (underwear/socks).
    Main Compartment Pocket: Medium packing cube (t-shirts and fleece).

Currently, I have the medium DOP attached to the iPad cache and also tethered to one of the o-rings. It's not an ideal situation, as I must remove the cache and then remove the DOP from the cache in order to access its contents.

The only other placement that could work is inside the main compartment pocket, though it's a bit hard to access due to the Side Effect anchored above it. The DOP technically fits in the bottom front pocket (as you mentioned), but I have better uses in mind for that pocket.

Here's a photo of how I currently have it setup. It's hard to tell, but it's strapped in to the iPad cache. The cache, in turn, is on the default rails:
    Synapse 25 - packing cubes and accessories-file-apr-16-10-00-55-am-jpeg
    Thanks, that helps a lot.

Your use of the OP and cache is very clever!

Your question, though, highlights my own problem with one bag travel, namely, where to put that stuff that you have to access at least three times while you're in the airport and possibly more?

In the past I have added a Side Effect to the Padded Hip Belt of my S25 using Gatekeeper clips. If you don't already use the belt you may not want to start, so in that case I would reconfigure the outside pockets.

I would move your non-liquid toiletries to the inside of the bag, move your liquids 311 bag to the side pocket, and put your documents in the water bottle pocket with your dry bag. The Medium OP should fit in there, though since it isn't rigid it may be squished if the left and right side pockets are both full.

What do you think of that?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Great to see the thread alive!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Thanks, that helps a lot.

Your use of the OP and cache is very clever!

Your question, though, highlights my own problem with one bag travel, namely, where to put that stuff that you have to access at least three times while you're in the airport and possibly more?

In the past I have added a Side Effect to the Padded Hip Belt of my S25 using Gatekeeper clips. If you don't already use the belt you may not want to start, so in that case I would reconfigure the outside pockets.

I would move your non-liquid toiletries to the inside of the bag, move your liquids 311 bag to the side pocket, and put your documents in the water bottle pocket with your dry bag. The Medium OP should fit in there, though since it isn't rigid it may be squished if the left and right side pockets are both full.

What do you think of that?
    Putting the DOP into the water bottle pocket along with the 3-1-1 bag actually worked reasonably well. I had to fold over the zippers of the DOP to get it to fit, but it seems to be a decent solution. It's not perfect, but it's probably better than the alternatives. Thanks!!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Putting the DOP into the water bottle pocket along with the 3-1-1 bag actually worked reasonably well. I had to fold over the zippers of the DOP to get it to fit, but it seems to be a decent solution. It's not perfect, but it's probably better than the alternatives. Thanks!!
    Great! Glad you found something that works.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My system for packing is A45 small cube on bottom and A30 small cube on top. I found the A30 large cube will slide in and out easy no matter how full it’s packed but there is some lost space at the bottom of the bag on each side. The large A45 will fit tight and if packed full binds and bulges a bit into your back at the narrow point between the two main zippers. The combo of the two small cubes (large on bottom and small at the zip point) fills the bag completely and carry’s well no matter how over packed they are. For the photos I over packed the cubes. That’s a small snake charmer on top, large sc fits fine also. I regularly pack the SC in the lower front pocket and pack my size 10 Nike or my merrels in winter on top.

PS i already miss the bigger zips on the old cubes. they just crank and the pulls are easier to grab. imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xnykid; 04-24-2018 at 04:38 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3