Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Marsupializing

Dallas, Texas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveltech View Post
    Reviving this thread to ask if the halcyon A30 can be marsupialized into another bag. Iím heading to Amsterdam in September and will take a three day side trip to Bruges. Iíd love to leave my EC spinner in Amsterdam and take only the A30 on the train to Bruges. But canít bring both onboard as carryons for the international flight...or can I? If I leave the end sections empty, would the A30 pass as a personal item on Delta?
    I think you could probably get away with an underpacked A30 as a personal item on Delta. I have had no trouble bringing a fully packed A30 in combo with a fully packed Smart Alec on several carriers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Donít make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, donít hesitate to make it beautiful. ó Shaker Philosophy

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A30 should fit fine under a seat, so it's a personal item. Wear it as a backpack when you board and nobody will question you.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daylight Backpack over Cafe

My "marsupial" experience (but I call this technique "inner bag / over bag"):

My marsupial came about when I wanted to use a Cafe messenger bag at my destination, but it wasn't big enough to hold my light jacket when I disembarked or the film water bottles I filled up before boarding. (It's easier to stow the jacket while preparing to land in the bag I have at my seat, than trying to deal with my carryon lugger in the overhead bin.)

So, I stuck my Cafe inside my Daylight Backpack. When I trial-packed at home, both my Medium and Small Cafe bags were the right thickness for the trim Daylight Backpack, and left room on the sides and at the top for my water bottles and rolled-up thin shell thinly lined windjacket. This configuration didn't destroy the slim 'n' trim profile that's so appealing with the Daylight Backpack.

On the ground at my destination, I used the Cafe for my normal edc stuff (everday carry stuff) and when grocery shopping hauled the Daylight Backpack by hand (great comfortable webbing handle!) to use as my shopping bag - much more comfortable in hand that the narrow plastic grocery bag "handles".

If you look at the published thickness measurements for the Small and Medium Cafes, they are the same, while the Daylight Backpack is much thicker. In fact, eyeballing these by matching the bottom panels seam-to-seam, the Daylight Backpack isn't any wider at the bottom. Thus, to keep the profile of the Daylight Back thin, it's important to watch how fat you stuff the Cafe, and watch out for contents settling to the bottom in the Cafe. I'm sensitive to the "visual profile" of my so-called "personal" bag since I got challenged once for having a personal item that was too big (a conventional, much "fatter", daypack).

Notes:

The Daylight Backpack is spec'd at 16.5L while the Medium Cafe and Small Cafe are spec'd at 8L and 6L respectively. So there's a real gain in storage space.

I thought the Medium Cafe would be too tall, or too wide at the top for the tapering Daylight Backpack, but it's an easy fit.

I tried fitting the Medium Cafe in a top loading, tubular shaped, ultrathin 'n' light "peak" bag, and the wider, zipper panel loading on the Daylight Backpack was much easier to fit the Medium Cafe.

Unlike a tote, the Daylight Backpack is zippered for less risk of contents spill (but the upcoming zippered Bihn shopping bags might change my thinking).

The top grab handle on the Daylight Backpack makes it an on-the-ground shopping tote for light grocery shopping and even souvenir shopping. Since I'm already wearing the Cafe, handle-carry for the Daylight Backpack is the best option.

Once on the ground, I don't care HOW fat the Daylight Backpack becomes due to overpacking - so it can double as a side-trip overnighter bag.

Sure wish I had bought the Daylight Backpack in Black Halcyon instead of Cordura; the Cordura picks up lint and dirt too easily and the top soaks out in the occasional tropical downpour.
    Last edited by MarkWebb; 11-17-2018 at 02:40 PM. Reason: clarifications

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually walk to work with my pick up truck, but today there were heavy thundery showers in the forecast. Not good when you carry an open top bag and you have papers to keep dry Marsupializing
    Time to marsupialise!
    A full PUT fits into a Pop Tote with room on top for a rolled up rain jacket.
    It doesn't fit in a small zip top shop bag, but I think it would be okay in the large zip top shop bag.
    Get to work, pull the PUT out of the shop bag and there are all the items I need laid out and easily visible Marsupializing
    Success!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gqb View Post
    I usually walk to work with my pick up truck, but today there were heavy thundery showers in the forecast. Not good when you carry an open top bag and you have papers to keep dry Marsupializing
    Time to marsupialise!
    A full PUT fits into a Pop Tote with room on top for a rolled up rain jacket.
    It doesn't fit in a small zip top shop bag, but I think it would be okay in the large zip top shop bag.
    Get to work, pull the PUT out of the shop bag and there are all the items I need laid out and easily visible Marsupializing
    Success!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    You can definitely fit your full Pick-Up Truck into a Large Zip Top Shop Bag (with room to spare). There's an old forum post title My Large Shop Bag Saved Me where @dorayme was traveling with her (15.5 liter) Swift as a personal item, and bought so many additional items to take home that she was afraid the airlines would ding her on having multiple items. She dropped the Swift into a large shop bag, put all the additional items inside the Shop Bag in addition to the Swift, and shoved this under her airline seat.

moriond

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pilot x DB mutual marsupialization?

I'm looking for some opinions on marsupializing a Pilot with a Daylight Backpack.

These days the Pilot spends a lot of transit time sitting in the milk crate on the back of my bike. But sometimes I will stop at the grocery on the way home and need to fill the crate with stuff. I can crudely adapt the Pilot into a back-carried bag by running the strap through the top handle and putting my arms through the two loops this forms, but it's always kind of annoying to deal with. So I am thinking about keeping a DB folded as small as possible somewhere in the Pilot, and taking it out to stick the Pilot into it for the ride home. The DB looks to be a little bit wider than the Pilot turned on its side, exactly as deep, and rather taller; I can easily imagine the fit depending on how packed the Pilot is.

If anyone has a Pilot in Ballistic fabric and a DB in Halcyon, I would love to know if this is actually possible, and how much space that compressed DB is gonna take up when I'm not doing this.

(Alternatively maybe I'll just grab a second strap for the Pilot and loop each of them back to the carabiners I have stuck in the strap attachment loops. It sits lower than I'd like this way but it's only for a ten minute ride.)

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @egypturnash ,

Quote Originally Posted by egypturnash View Post
    I'm looking for some opinions on marsupializing a Pilot with a Daylight Backpack.
    Welcome to the forums. Take a look at @eWalker 's thread from 2014, DayLight BackPack & Pilot: Perfect Match!!.

He shows pictures of how the Halcyon Daylight Backpack can be folded and packed into the back pocket of the a Ballistic Pilot, and also how a fully loaded Pilot can be slipped into the Daylight Backpack and carried backpack style.

The other thing that has been asked on the forums is how small a Daylight Backpack or Daylight Briefcase can be packed into a stuff sack or other accessory. You can see my pictures of this for the Halcyon DLBP and DLBC in the Daylight BC/BP into a stuff sack? thread.

A Halcyon Daylight Backpack rolled tightly can fit into a Size #1 Travel Stuff Sack:

for Cordura, one would need to go up to Small Yarn Stuff Sack to fit the rolled DLBP. You can also pack a DLBP into one side of a Small Snake Charmer and a Daylight Briefcase into the other. There are lots more pictures in that linked thread. But it's easier to simply use @eWalker 's solution.

One very important thing to stress if you do a lot of rolling and compressing bags is to make sure that you do this with the zippers unzipped if you want to avoid long-term damage to the bags.

HTH

moriond

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by egypturnash View Post
    If anyone has a Pilot in Ballistic fabric and a DB in Halcyon, I would love to know if this is actually possible, and how much space that compressed DB is gonna take up when I'm not doing this.
    The rolled up DLBP in size #1 TSS takes up about 1 liter of volume.
    Last edited by moriond; 06-21-2020 at 09:16 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh nice, thank you for the old post reference and the additional details!

I keep a little too much loose junk in the Pilot's back pocket to feel comfortable with sliding the DB in and out. I might end up trying to keep the folded DB in the Side Effect I've been using as a small purse lately, it fits perfectly into a Pilot front pocket and is pretty close in size to half a Snake Charmer. Or into one of the Pilot-sized packing cubes I have somewhere around here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2