Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Marsupializing

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marsupializing

A Small Cafe Bag (which is carrying a Travel Cubelet, a portable battery, and a Kindle), fits perfectly in one side of the Western Flyer. It would defeat the purpose to keep it in there. but I intend to tuck it in the WF before going through security at the airport.

Marsupializing-scb-jpg

Also for the marsupial files: The Side Kick (which has a notebook, some papers and pens, and an iPad mini), fits well in the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, along with some books, CD's and another notebook. Some of these things are gifts I needed to figure out how to pack. The PCSB itself will also fit well in one side of the Western Flyer.

Marsupializing-skinpcsb-jpg

Also, I unfortunately can't link to it from my phone, but @Fluff's suggestion on a different thread was genius. I used the mesh/fabric large WF packing cube. Inside, some smaller packing cubes, surrounded by rolled up clothes. Everything fit very compactly in the back of the WF, and it will lift out in one piece.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 02-23-2018 at 06:24 PM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! It is fun to see which bags fit in which other bags.

I have found I can put a Medium Cafe Bag in one side of the front of my Western Flyer if I squish the MCB a bit. Next month I'm going to try to do the same with a Co-Pilot to give to my sister--it seems like it would be a little too big, but I think I saw a post somewhere with someone saying it would fit.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love these marsupial posts. Such clever ideas using bags we already have and/or inspiring purchases of new bags that we can marsupialize (is that a word?). I sometimes carry my Side Effect in a PCSB, but I've never thought to use a Side Kick in one. I've always preferred the 400d halcyon PCSBs to the 200d ones for using as a purse since they are thicker and hold their shape better. But with the Side Kick to give the 200d ones more structure, I look forward to using my more colorful PCSBs. Thanks for the idea, Beth.
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Spring Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Packing Cube Shoulder Bag is the perfect:
    Inside zippered pocket for a Swift or Large Shop Bag.
    Packing Cube in an Aeronaute 45 side pocket, in the Tristar front or middle pocket, in one of the two main compartments of the Brain Bag.

Before the TB Crew came up with the Aeather Packing Cubes, Halcyon Packing Cubes Shoulder Bags/Backpacks were the only way to achieve color code packing.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Before the TB Crew came up with the Aeather Packing Cubes, Halcyon Packing Cubes Shoulder Bags/Backpacks were the only way to achieve color code packing.
    @backpack,

This is not quite true. There was a very brief time, around when the Tri-Star first debuted, when it was possible to order packing cubes in Solar. You can see a picture of the Small Packing Cube for the Tri-Star in Solar Halcyon (then called Dyneema) in this July 6, 2009 Gear Diary review of the Tri-Star

If you want to see one of these IRL (="in real life", meaning a forum post rather than an external review), here's a picture of that same Solar Small Packing Cube for the TriStar:

It's from a 2012 post answering someone who wanted to carry a Windbreaker, and possibly some other clothing items, in his Imago, so it was one in a series of shots of different accessory combos for the Imago (in this case it was the Eagle Creek full size Specter cube, and the Solar TriStar Small Packing Cube -- I think it was misidentified in the original post as an Aeronaut end cube).

The Small Cafe Bag in the Western Flyer (and also the PCSB) was one of the Classic Combos in the Going marsupial! TB Bags that fit inside other TB bags. thread. So is fitting two Eagle Creek Specter II Quarter packing cubes into the Small Cafe Bag (see pics in @Ms. Ferret's 2 weeks in Iceland/UK thread for examples).

The Side Kick in PCSB could be a new addition to that thread.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @backpack,

This is not quite true. There was a very brief time, around when the Tri-Star first debuted, when it was possible to order packing cubes in Solar. You can see a picture of the Small Packing Cube for the Tri-Star in Solar Halcyon (then called Dyneema) in this July 6, 2009 Gear Diary review of the Tri-Star

If you want to see one of these IRL (="in real life", meaning a forum post rather than an external review), here's a picture of that same Solar Small Packing Cube for the TriStar:

It's from a 2012 post answering someone who wanted to carry a Windbreaker, and possibly some other clothing items, in his Imago, so it was one in a series of shots of different accessory combos for the Imago (in this case it was the Eagle Creek full size Specter cube, and the Solar TriStar Small Packing Cube -- I think it was misidentified in the original post as an Aeronaut end cube).

The Small Cafe Bag in the Western Flyer (and also the PCSB) was one of the Classic Combos in the Going marsupial! TB Bags that fit inside other TB bags. thread. So is fitting two Eagle Creek Specter II Quarter packing cubes into the Small Cafe Bag (see pics in @Ms. Ferret's 2 weeks in Iceland/UK thread for examples).

The Side Kick in PCSB could be a new addition to that thread.

HTH

moriond

I don't remember the Solar Packing Cubes for the Tristar because, I have always used Packing Cube Shoulder Bags and Backpacks to organize Travel Bags, then by themselves, as minimalists Backpacks/Shoulder Bags.

They were/are also used as marsupial accessories inside EDC for protecting softcover brochures, books and notes against very heavy hardback textbooks (PCBP) or used as extra pocket inside the Swift/LCB (PCSB)

Thank you for being a great forum historian, Moriond!
    Last edited by backpack; 02-25-2018 at 02:36 PM.

Orange County, CA, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marsupializing

I'm not one to sport bright colors but I would definitely use a Solar PCSB both as a shoulder bag and as a packing cube with a big smile on my face! Marsupializing
    Last edited by nimikor; 02-25-2018 at 04:07 PM.
    DLBC, WF, S19, Pilot, DLBP, PCSB, A30, SA plus other misc goodies.
    ďNot all those who wander are lost.Ē - Bilbo Baggins (J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973)

Forum Member
    Southeastern Pennsylvania
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm planning on Marsupuializing with a MCB inside a BB for a few transatlantic flights I'll be taking this year. I'm placing my order for them both tomorrow morning and will update this thread with photos of my planned setup once it arrives.

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a Large Shop Bag holding a Daylight Briefcase, a Small Shop Bag, and a TB box which contains the Tom Bihn Eclipse I'm mailing to its buyer tomorrow morning. I'm surprised it all fit! Oh, and the DLBC has another SSB in it folded up.

After the stop at the post office I'll fold up the LSB and put it in the SSB that's in the picture, and carry the DLBC by its shoulder strap.

Marsupializing-img_6545-jpg
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Alabama
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    A Small Cafe Bag (which is carrying a Travel Cubelet, a portable battery, and a Kindle), fits perfectly in one side of the Western Flyer. It would defeat the purpose to keep it in there. but I intend to tuck it in the WF before going through security at the airport.

Marsupializing-scb-jpg

Also for the marsupial files: The Side Kick (which has a notebook, some papers and pens, and an iPad mini), fits well in the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, along with some books, CD's and another notebook. Some of these things are gifts I needed to figure out how to pack. The PCSB itself will also fit well in one side of the Western Flyer.

Marsupializing-skinpcsb-jpg

Also, I unfortunately can't link to it from my phone, but @Fluff's suggestion on a different thread was genius. I used the mesh/fabric large WF packing cube. Inside, some smaller packing cubes, surrounded by rolled up clothes. Everything fit very compactly in the back of the WF, and it will lift out in one piece.
    Is that a Nordic pcsb? I wish they would make more if so.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    .... and a TB box which contains the Tom Bihn Eclipse I'm mailing to its buyer tomorrow morning.
    I love the multibag nesting but was most struck by the mention of a Tom Bihn eclipse. What is an eclipse?

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirri View Post
    I love the multibag nesting but was most struck by the mention of a Tom Bihn eclipse. What is an eclipse?
    The Eclipse was a Tom Bihn minimalist briefcase in the early 2000s. I'd describe it as being like a Brain Cell with more pockets, and a shoulder strap attachment instead of Annex Clips.

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A30 -collapse/foldable? Pass as personal item?

Reviving this thread to ask if the halcyon A30 can be marsupialized into another bag. Iím heading to Amsterdam in September and will take a three day side trip to Bruges. Iíd love to leave my EC spinner in Amsterdam and take only the A30 on the train to Bruges. But canít bring both onboard as carryons for the international flight...or can I? If I leave the end sections empty, would the A30 pass as a personal item on Delta?
    Last edited by Traveltech; 07-26-2018 at 08:50 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveltech View Post
    Reviving this thread to ask if the halcyon A30 can be marsupialized into another bag. Iím heading to Amsterdam in September and will take a three day side trip to Bruges. Iíd love to leave my EC spinner in Amsterdam and take only the A30 on the train to Bruges. But canít bring both onboard as carryons for the international flight...or can I? If I leave the end sections empty, would the A30 pass as a personal item on Delta?
    I don't know what your spinner is like, but can you pack in the A30 and put it inside the spinner, while full?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm... 30L seems like an awfully big bag for a 3day trip... do you have an S19, S25, SmartAlec or even a Pilot...?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast