Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synapse 25 main pocket organization

I'm a college student that recently purchased a synapse 25. The bag is nearly perfect for how I use it, carrying everything I need for each day, and also holding a bunch of stuff in it that I use everyday (lab coat + goggles, calculator, planner, etc.). One problem I've found is that my books and notebooks only take up 1/2 to 2/3 of the main pocket up, leaving extra space that could be utilized better.

I have a pair of nice over ear headphones + their case that I put in on top of my notebooks and etc., but I've seen some posts about how some people put a side effect in the main compartment as a kinda extra pocket. I'm really curious of how useful people find it, and/or if the side kick might fit in the bag as well. It's been hard finding posts on how or if people use the SE or SK in the synapse main pocket, so thanks for any advice!

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums, TandEguy!

When I read your post, at first I thought you were saying the extra space was the problem--but I think you're actually saying you have more stuff to put in and want to organize it better, is that right? What's the stuff you want to organize, aside from the headphones you mentioned?

I use a Synapse 25 most days; I'm working full time and in grad school with classes two nights a week. In the main section of the backpack I have the frame sheet; a cache with my work laptop; a Large Cafe Bag Freudian Slip* with pens, external battery, two folders, a pad of paper, etc; and sometimes an iPad in a keyboard case. I usually leave the main compartment's front pocket empty (well, it picks up odds and ends). I do use a Side Kick with the S25, but I put it in the front bottom pocket, not the main compartment. (A Halcyon Side Kick fits perfectly there. A ballistic one can be made to fit, but not as easily.)

* When I decided a Freudian Slip might be useful here, I wasn't sure whether I wanted the S25 size or if I'd rather get an S19 size so I could move it back and forth between my two backpacks. I put in my Large Cafe Bag FS as a proof of concept to make sure I wanted a Freudian Slip in the bag at all, and it worked so well I've just gone on using that one.

Oh, as a side note, this isn't quite S25-related but it's school-related: I carry a Qliplet/Heroclip on the S25's grab handle (so I can hang the backpack on bathroom stall walls even when there's no hook provided) and I've started using it to hang the Freudian Slip from the side of my desk during class to make it easier to grab stuff out of the FS during class.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a decent sized battery pack, calculator, hobonichi planner, and some other junk that I might put in the side effect. In this video that I found on the forums, this guy hangs a side effect in the main compartment. I'm just curious whether or not a side kick might be too big and/or if more people might have experience with the hanging side effect in the bag.

There is enough space in it right now to put everything I want, but I'd just like to organize it a bit better, and utilize the empty space in the main pocket a bit more.

Really it's probably the perfect backpack for me, especially right now. I have labs four days a week, and not needing to worry about if I put my lab coat and goggles is in my backpack, or making sure there is enough space in my bag anymore because of them is great.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops, forgot to paste the video in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVaKgCDNjSg&t=16s I believe this "hack" was also in a Tom Bihn video as well.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the Tom Bihn video that also includes the SE as a little top pocket. https://vimeo.com/160672776 In this video it sits much higher than the youtube guy's video. That's what leads me to believe that an SK might fit in that area as well. I'm hoping someone who has both can confirm this for me.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TandEguy View Post
    Here's the Tom Bihn video that also includes the SE as a little top pocket. https://vimeo.com/160672776 In this video it sits much higher than the youtube guy's video. That's what leads me to believe that an SK might fit in that area as well. I'm hoping someone who has both can confirm this for me.
    I hadn't seen that SE hack! I have seen and used the 3DOC in that spot. Now that I have the frame sheet I think the SE is an even better hack than the 3DOC because it uses more of the horizontal space but the weight of the SE won't pull the loops inward with the frame in.

Here's a pic of the SE suspended from a 16" key strap with a knot in it to make it a little higher. To do this I put the strap through the loops, knotted it, then I put the frame behind it, then attached the SE.

Something like a 10-12" key strap would be ideal. I might make one.

I don't think the SK would be a good fit. It's a bit too big.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I hadn't thought of the SE pulling the bag down when loaded up. That would probably be a little annoying. Although I don't really want to buy the frame sheet to make it work the best.

Maybe putting the SE on the front loops instead of the back loops would work? I usually have the front pockets loaded up, so that might give it some stability?

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I hadn't thought of the SE pulling the bag down when loaded up. That would probably be a little annoying. Although I don't really want to buy the frame sheet to make it work the best.

Maybe putting the SE on the front loops instead of the back loops would work? I usually have the front pockets loaded up, so that might give it some stability?
    The frame is amazing! It has made such a difference to how the bag feels on. I recommend it to anyone.

I would think the SE on the front loops would be the same or worse since that side is floppier than the back, which at least had the padding even if not the frame. I meant more that it pulls the loops in at an angleó perhaps something more rigid than a keystrap would help this? Something like a keystrap threaded through a drinking straw, but obviously a larger and more rigid straw. Or something the shape of a suitcase handle but longer and thinner. Know what I mean?

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't use a Freudian slip, but I also do not use it as an EDC. For me, the front pockets are enough organization for it to be my most perfect travel bag.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I think I see what you mean Christina. I'm not sure still on whether or not it would be a good idea without the frame.

But yeah, the pockets have enough organization, I would just like to utilize the empty space a little more since my books take up about 2/3 of the main compartment space.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I think I see what you mean Christina. I'm not sure still on whether or not it would be a good idea without the frame.

But yeah, the pockets have enough organization, I would just like to utilize the empty space a little more since my books take up about 2/3 of the main compartment space.
    I just put my SK in my S25 on a strap connected through the back loops for rails and it has made all the difference in using my S25. I have my puffy coat rolled up in the bottom of the main compartment, and a few things in all the other pockets for EDC.
    I keep the shoulder strap for the SK in there in case I just want to go lighter quickly.
    Itís not packed full by any stretch but Iím surprised what a difference it made clipping in the SK to my satisfaction with the organization. I can easily put in 2 or 3 days worth of clothes in place of my puffy, a 3D organizer and be quite comfy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would. Small snake charmer fit here?

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPP View Post
    Would. Small snake charmer fit here?
    It would fit there on top of, say, a packing cube but it wouldn't hang evenly because on one side of the SSC is a triangle hook and on the other is a webbing loop. Plus the SSC is deeper than a SE or 3DOC. But if you're trying to use up the curved space at the top of the bag a SSC is a good choice.

You can see some pics of a SSC, LSC, etc at the top of the main pocket (resting not hanging) here:
    https://forums.tombihn.com/accessori...cessories.html

Scroll down to see them. Hope this helps!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    It would fit there on top of, say, a packing cube but it wouldn't hang evenly because on one side of the SSC is a triangle hook and on the other is a webbing loop. Plus the SSC is deeper than a SE or 3DOC. But if you're trying to use up the curved space at the top of the bag a SSC is a good choice.

You can see some pics of a SSC, LSC, etc at the top of the main pocket (resting not hanging) here:
    https://forums.tombihn.com/accessori...cessories.html

Scroll down to see them. Hope this helps!
    Thanks.

I wonder if a sidekick would hang there.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPP View Post
    Thanks.

I wonder if a sidekick would hang there.
    In my opinion it is too big and tall and encroaches too much on the main pocket. It would also pull the top of the bag down a lot (unusably so) without a frame sheet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast