1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like you were just a bit too early. They updated the SE's this morning about two hours after your post. I just grabbed a black halcyon / island SE. I was looking at the island TC too, let me know how you like it.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahaha, I am "lucky". Thank you for letting me know, I decided I want black SE too much, so I've just ordered it as well separately (island inner as well). Will have both SE and TC.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The SE can pretty much be packed full as a thematic minimalist bag/purse/case for compact still/video camera and accoutrements; multiple glasses, gel/markers/pencils/brush pens + compact sketch book for art, all writing instruments + small notebook + post it for research and homework...

The possibilities are endless many forum members use the SE as handy seat purse on buses, planes, boats and trains, something that small is extremely nice for rest stops on long car trips.

It can be packed quite full, is protective and keeps its shape due to the use of double fabrics layers.

It makes for a nice small purse. It is pretty much perfect for people loving east/west/landscape small bags.

My rugged SE which gets moved from one EDC to another, from EDC to travel or shopping bag, depending on weather and mode of transportation, placed on dressers, floors...

I feel less protective of it than the Travel Cubelet, which is is cuteness personified and my dream come true, Mini Cafe Bag.

It might be why I don't stuff it as much as the SE, but I believe that its light weight fabric makes it an ideal extra pocket in a bag, which I felt I needed in my SCB, but couldn't quite figure out how to solve the problem, until the TC was created.

It is the perfect tiny purse for dining in the fancy restaurants, shows, lectures during stays at the same hotel or inside a cruise ship.

It holds, reading glasses, for the menu/program/outline, a pen, a small notebook/scarf/small pouch of medecines to take with food and tissues. The inner pocket in the main compartment fits a credit card/cruise expense card...
    The front pocket is perfect for a room key.

Don't forget tissues, like I did the first time I used my TC.
    To remedy that I now got a Cubelet, as a tissue portable pocket, which can be piggy backed or used as an extra front pocket.

A big thanks to fellow forum member(s) for those great ideas!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @backpack Hi! Did I get it right that you use TC to go out mostly because of its thinner delicate skin, and SE is your workhorse (and using it for rest stops is a great idea!)? Thank you!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Side Effect together with a S25 when travelling (minimalist) and it works perfectly fine. I like to put the SE in the bottom compartment.
    Even when not travelling, the SE is my daily purse! 1 pouch for cards + 1 pouch for money + 2 smartphones + pen + tissues + headphones + keys: it all fits.
    If not full, you can even fit a pocket book or lonely planet book in it
    I'm looking forward to reading your point of view when comparing Side Effect and Traveling Cubelet

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know how well the Travel Cubelet fits in the water bottle pocket of the Synapse 25? I have a 3DOC that fits the over-the-ear noise cancelling headphones I use on an airplane. The TC seems to be 1" thicker in depth, which will fit my headphones better and leave room for me to dump in my phone, sanitizing wipes, lotion, charger, cables, plug, etc. If it fits in the Synapse's water pocket, that's a positive as I think it's the easiest to open when I put my pack down.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey everyone,

I got my S25 with all accessories I ordered few days ago and absolutely happy with everything! Both SE and TC look great. I am afraid I didn't have time yet to do a fair comparison of these two, I used SE in 3 way:

1) As an additional inner pocket, looks good, almost as if it was natively designed to be there this way (it deforms a little though), the front copmpartment is easily accessible, the main one - with top loading - needs a little more time to access. I keep my passports in the front compartment of SE. You can see it on the photo, with laptop behind it (and there is frame behind laptop), the SE helps keeping laptop in place.
    Travel Cubelet vs. Side Effect-20180324_053312_small-jpg

I've just tried replacing SE with TC: TC works there well too! It occupies more vertical space, but if you prefer TC, then it can easily be used as an additional pocket(s) inside the backpack compartment.
    Travel Cubelet vs. Side Effect-20180331_194009_small-jpg

2) SE works great for me as a separate pouch. It looks nice even when it is half-filled. TC looks great as well, but I like black halcyon 400 more than island halcyon 200.

3) Hang on the airplane seat on 2 s-biners as advised somewhere on the forum and in videos here. I found it very helpful, keeping all the passports, boarding passes, power bank, headphones (I've got high quality bletooth ear-plugs), powerbank in one place, shouldn't lose power bank any longer as I did half a year ago!
    Travel Cubelet vs. Side Effect-20180329_223614_small-jpg

I will think on how can I use TC, maybe will donate it to my wife if she finds it useful

Thank a lot to everyone for sharing your experiene!
    Last edited by mmilakov; 03-31-2018 at 10:14 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mmilakov View Post
    @backpack Hi! Did I get it right that you use TC to go out mostly because of its thinner delicate skin, and SE is your workhorse (and using it for rest stops is a great idea!)? Thank you!
    I bought the SE, some years ago and it has become part of my EDC by virtue of being a very versatile bag that can be used in many occasions. On travel, it can go from airline seat essentials holder (just like in your picture), to portable coloring/watercolor set, to birding guide, notebook, small camera, holder...
    It can become a dress up purse, if a trip includes a fancy dinner or two.

Between the fancy and non-fancy activities, I take the time to wipe the exterior or, give it good clean with a damp cloth.

I just acquired my first TC, it feels smaller and daintier, which makes it perfect for a dress up purse.
    Since it is so light, one can get multiple colors to coordinate with outfits and, switch its use from extra pocket/mini packing cube to purse in a flash, using the thin strap.

Black is very versatile, it is an all genders solution for the "what can I do with my phone/glasses/medications while wearing dress clothes?" and can also be worn the next day for excursions.

So perfect for cruises!
    Last edited by backpack; 04-01-2018 at 07:25 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NClens View Post
    Does anyone know how well the Travel Cubelet fits in the water bottle pocket of the Synapse 25? I have a 3DOC that fits the over-the-ear noise cancelling headphones I use on an airplane. The TC seems to be 1" thicker in depth, which will fit my headphones better and leave room for me to dump in my phone, sanitizing wipes, lotion, charger, cables, plug, etc. If it fits in the Synapse's water pocket, that's a positive as I think it's the easiest to open when I put my pack down.
    I filled my TC with two shirts, which left it full but flexible and squishy. It was difficult to get out of the otherwise empty S25, but I could wiggle it in and out. I tried it again with something rigid (I used the box for my Galaxy S9+ phone about 3.5 x 2.25 x 7) and it fit fine. This was less wide and fit better. I think both scenarios would be difficult to get in or out if the bag were over packed, and I'd probably put it in the bottom pocket if I needed to get to it while traveling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2