1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel Cubelet vs. Side Effect

Hi,

I am getting S25 and planning to get a pouch, which I would keep mostly inside thу backpack, but sometimes get it outside, for example, take with me to airplane seat (with passport, phone, ear-plugs, portable charger, pen inside), or go the bar/restaurant with the pouch leaving the backpack in the hotel room.
    I prefer Halcyon, so until today I had no other choice other than getting Travel Cubelet, but now Side Effect made with Halcyon is in stock, so I am a bit lost. They are of similar size.
    I watched videos and saw a hack fixing SE in the main compartment of S25 with key straps, this will probably not work that nicely with TC. On the other hand I could probably put any of them just in the front bottom compartment of the backpack.
    I am currently slightly for SE, as it is available in Black Halcyon, which I like more.
    Any thoughts and experiences are appreciated!

Thanks a lot!
    Max.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on how big your stuff is, you also might be able to use a 3d organizing cube in parapack. This one is smaller than either of the 2 you mention. Parapack has a similar weight and feel to halcyon. It has a bit of a sheen to it, and with a wristlet strap, makes a nice evening bag as well.
    Last edited by sturbridge; 03-10-2018 at 03:29 AM.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, SE in black/iberian, SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps and Cubelets!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vote side effect because:
    *more pockets inside to organise your small items
    *more O rings inside
    *it is lined which means you will be able to see your stuff more easily
    *it is horizontal so you won't have the problem of small items falling to the bottom and becoming invisible

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @sturbridge: I didn't think about 3DOC, it is an interesting alternative to SE! Theoretically, everything I listed will fit into it. I need to think on if I need more space provided by SE. Thank you!
    @gqb: These are very good points! While I am fine with just a single pitch black compartment in this small pouch for outside usage - it has to keep important things in the least distractful way - I would like it to provide convenient access when it serves as an additional compartment inside my backpack. Thank you!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both the Travel Cubelet and the Side Effect have external and internal pockets. I find these help a lot in real life situations. For instance, I keep my train pass in a pouch in the outer pocket of the TC, so I can pull it out to tap at the turnstile without digging through the rest of my stuff. The SE has the same feature.

As to which of the two you prefer, I think it depends if you will find the horizontal or vertical orientation more convenient. If you were going to carry it in the lower pocket of the S25, for instance, the Side Effect would be best, but if you are keeping it in the main compartment, either bag would probably work. I carry a much smaller backpack (the Luminary), and the vertical orientation of the Travel Cubelet fits well and allows me easy access.

Some other pros/cons:
    SE: lined with a second color inside, which can make the interior brighter; multiple interior pockets
    TC: pen slot, which the SE does not have
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @bchaplin: It looks like SE is covering my needs the best! Thank you!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Side effect, because it fits better in the top using the 16" keystrap hack. Easy access and additional organization for your s25. On its own it sits better crossbody wise on the body as well, weight is more evenly distributed than the travel cubelet.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @melminimalist: you probably mean small, 8" keystrap hack? Which is shown in the very beginning of https://www.tombihn.com/pages/videos#forumhacks2 "TOM BIHN FORUMS BAG HACKS PART II" video? Thanks!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mmilakov View Post
    @melminimalist: you probably mean small, 8" keystrap hack? Which is shown in the very beginning of https://www.tombihn.com/pages/videos#forumhacks2 "TOM BIHN FORUMS BAG HACKS PART II" video? Thanks!
    Whoops! Yes, the 8" :-)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    The Side Effect has a horizontal orientation, while the Travel Cubelet has a vertical orientation. When it is not inside of your S25, do you have a preference for one orientation over the other?

When using the SE or TC (while your S25 is in the room), does the color matter to you? I like my bag to match or compliment my clothing. Black Halcyon goes well with my clothing and my coat. Nordic Halcyon, Viridian, and Navy go with several of my favorite outfits. The Ultraviolet always makes me smile, but I'm not sure about the Alphaviolet color yet. Is there a color that makes you smile?

I hope this helps! Let us know what you decide. Thank you! elisa

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @melminimalist: thanks for confirmation
    @AlaskaGirl: Hi Elisa! I am probably slightly for horizontal orientation, I think it should also be more stable ("sticking" to the body) during walking (when used with shoulder strap). Black halcyon should do well, at least this is the color I am getting S25 in. I think it is quite difficult to find a color, which goes badly with black! Regarding smiling: my plan is to get small pouches in different halcyon colors, this will make me smile when I open the backpack Thanks a lot for your thoughts, I think I decided for SE now!

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!

While I haven't yet taken the Travel Cubelet on an airplane, it has become an appendage ever since I got it. To say that I have developed muscle memory to open the zipper and retrieve what I need without looking would be an understatement.

I carried the Side Effect as a waist pack for a long time before I got the Travel Cubelet, and used it would house the sort of things that you are describing, @mmilakov.

My preference was for the vertical orientation of the Travel Cubelet. I'm a little ashamed to admit that I most often, and all too frequently, reach into my Travel Cubelet to retrieve and return my cell phone. The design of the Travel Cubelet facilitates that access.

Another factor, of course, is capacity. Interestingly, the Side Effect and Travel Cubelet have a similar capacity -- 1.5 liters and 1.7 liters, respectively. In my mind, I feel like the Side Effect can hold more -- perhaps because I am more likely to stuff it to the gills.

With regard to textile, my Travel Cubelet is made from 525d ballistic nylon. I have carried a Side Effect made out of 1000d Cordura, 1050d ballistic nylon, as well as 200d and 400d Halcyon. My preference was for the structure of the 1050d ballistic nylon. It would often serve as a tool belt, holding a screw driver, scissors, crimping tool, connectors, things like that.

I have an overseas trip coming up, and while I haven't gotten to thinking about what I'm taking and what I'm carrying -- I think I will be using the Travel Cubelet to hold things like passport, travel documents, wallet, earphones, earplugs, lip balm, pen, and a little notepad.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your Side Effect!
    -m

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going on a three week trip soon and just ordered the SE. I got the olive green, so I can see it easily inside my pack. Normally I would just get black, but wanted a standout color. My choice was between the SE and the SK. I have a black halcyon SW with wasabi i terior, so it will go nicely with that too. Like you I want so ething to take with me as an EDC when travelling. I carry silk shopping bags that just roll up for larger items.
    Joss, Tasmania

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @maverick, thanks a lot for sharing your experience! I will start with SE, who knows, maybe I will get TC later as well!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, the day I was ready to make an order SE in black halcyon got out of stock. Ordered TC then as I originally planned. I will update here with how it worked for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast